Unattended vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had that video sent to me numerous times, and also on my FB feed today a number of times.

I'm suspecting that this one will run for years to come!

Reminds me of a couple who moored next to us last summer.

The last time we were in a Newport Beach, CA that looked fairly common. The sea lions are such a nuisance in the 600 ball mooring field. We had two fighting for room on the swim platform. If you have low sides or an easy boat to board, you have to some type of sea lion deterrent or you’ll be cleaning up sea lion sh.t for ever. This is from the local paper with a fake coyote. The sea lion wasn’t amused.

Attachments

• 41883514-29CF-49C9-B059-4CD325D328EE.jpg
    41883514-29CF-49C9-B059-4CD325D328EE.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 217
Amazing the boat has not flooded with the cracked glass and submerged side light. If you want to reduce the sea lion numbers have the National Marine Fisheries Service "manage" them. Soon after they would appear on restaurant menus.

30-06, problem solved
Certainly would eliminate repeat offenders.

Wonder how an electric fence charger for cattle would work with a few strategically placed probes on the swim platform. :eek:

Ted

The issue of pinniped over-population will eventually have to be addressed. In the PNW they have decimated the king & coho salmon populations. And now the resident Orca population is in decline; they only eat the salmon. Yet the politicians refuse to deal with it. Instead they blame rec fisherman, dams...even “global warming”. Nature is out of balance. The pinnipeds need to be culled.

When they finally attack and kill a human, that is when the problem will be addressed.

The problem is pinnipeds are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA). As a result, Federal Law would have to be changed and the MMPA altered. Good luck with that. Up in WA. no politician is going to support the culling of seals/sea lions, so the damage continues and easier, more politically expedient groups are blamed and vilified. It's been all over the news. And our esteemed Governor is an idiot, so...the rec fishermen will be blamed and punished. The dams in eastern WA, that are vital to commerce as well as producing CLEAN power, are now targeted and of course, they need yet MORE taxes to combat the weather boogie-man.

Ironically, the party that claims to "care and love the environment" will have to deal with this eventually, as the over-population is, in fact, damaging the environment. Quite the political conundrum. :rolleyes: But then I love it when they paint themselves into a corner.:lol:

Last edited:
Am I the only one who think this is funny?
I would rather prefer to see a duck, a goose or a sea lion p**ing or sh***ing on my swim platform than a red neck full of beer vomit his sticking ideas to my ears... Isn't it part of marine life and easy to clean in 10 min with a hose?

L

I would rather prefer to see a duck, a goose or a sea lion p**ing or sh***ing on my swim platform than a red neck full of beer vomit his sticking ideas to my ears... Isn't it part of marine life and easy to clean in 10 min with a hose?
L
Lou,I thought it was funny, but then it went all political. The "silly season effect" I guess. Admittedly, we don`t have sea lions up here and seals are rare. If the owner used the boat more the sea lions might go elsewhere.

Lou,I thought it was funny, but then it went all political. The "silly season effect" I guess. Admittedly, we don`t have sea lions up here and seals are rare. If the owner used the boat more the sea lions might go elsewhere.
I do not have sea lion up here, but we have a lot of wild life like ducks, gooses, and heron. Some are thinking the swim platform is a resting place but jeez I like it, I find that so funny to have that duck mother yelling after the kids roaming between boats lol.

L

One Christmas party on the marina, someone set a trail of breadcrumbs from the dock into a Meridian 391. The ducks followed it inside with inevitable consequences. They entered easily through a raised zip in the covers but tried to exit through the clears, which didn`t work so well. For a smallish duck they have a big wingspan when flapping at the clears and crapping on the carpet.

One Christmas party on the marina, someone set a trail of breadcrumbs from the dock into a Meridian 391. The ducks followed it inside with inevitable consequences. They entered easily through a raised zip in the covers but tried to exit through the clears, which didn`t work so well. For a smallish duck they have a big wingspan when flapping at the clears and crapping on the carpet.
In that case who to blame? The duck or the redneck playing with it?

L

In that case who to blame? The duck or the redneck playing with it?

L
Definitely not the duck. I`m more fond of the marina ducks than some of the neighbours.

Yes.

Ducks? Geese? Small birds vs a 1000# sea lion. Yes. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. And yes, even Canada geese are a PIA and **** everywhere.

Last edited:
Yes.

Ducks? Geese? Small birds vs a 1000# sea lion. Yes. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. And yes, even Canada geese are a PIA and **** everywhere.
Lou, I think that proves your point.

The issue of pinniped over-population will eventually have to be addressed. In the PNW they have decimated the king & coho salmon populations. And now the resident Orca population is in decline; they only eat the salmon. Yet the politicians refuse to deal with it. Instead they blame rec fisherman, dams...even “global warming”. Nature is out of balance. The pinnipeds need to be culled.

Weird, isn't it, that before Europeans came here there were a gazillion salmon and the pinnipeds were here as well? How could that be?

Seems to me the animal that's upset things is of the northern European human persuasion.

Last edited:
Weird, isn't it, that before Europeans came here there were a gazillion salmon and the pinnipeds were here as well? How could that be?

Seems to me the animal that's upset things is of the northern European human persuasion.

:thumb: :facepalm:

If you want to know what a huge seal lion population looks like, go to the Galapagos. There's millions of them. They love resting on boats so boat owners quickly adapt ways to keep them off.

There's more fish on the Galapagos than I have seen anywhere else in the world. Probably why there's more sea lions there. They seem to be mutually compatible. The locals live with them as just part of their world.

Locally I was in Rainier Wa last year. There was some kind of fish running into the Columbia from the Lewis river. The sea lions definitely knew about it. There were over 100 of them on the Rainier City dock, sinking it to below waterline. Okay, no dock use that week. Next time we were there the sea lion gunk had washed off. (Good thing too as a sea lion rookery smells real real bad!).

I think it is in balance.

If not, nature has a way of balancing it eventually.
(LOL, Tom, yeah a 30-06 has a way of balancing things too!)
In the mean time, they are welcome to use my swim step sometimes.

I would guess that the boat was sitting pretty low in the water to begin with in order for them to board but I'm not familiar with the athleticism of sea lions.

...Seems to me the animal that's upset things is of the northern European human persuasion.
There`s definitely an overpopulation of that species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom