Safe Harbor...what's the deal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this thread by searching for Safe Harbor. Read page 1 and 5. I received a solicitation from Safe Harbor to "join". They didn't discuss cost. They did promote as a benefit

• Unlimited Complimentary Transient Nights
    • Whenever and wherever we have complimentary availability, Members stay for free.
I wonder how genuine that really is. Any comments?

I'm trying to figure this out as well, and interested in the experiences of others.

When I asked at a Safe Harbors marina, both the marina manager and dockmaster just smirked and grinned, and didn't answer my question directly other than 'it depends.'

It might be like airline frequent flyer miles. You might have a million of them, but if only one seat per flight is available for frequent flyer use, what are the odds of getting it?

Business and human nature being what they are, I suspect getting a 'complimentary' slip during the week at a less than most popular marina should be fairly doable. But on a holiday weekend at a place like Martha's Vineyard, Newport, etc.? Probably not so much.

The priority of marina managers is to maximize revenue. If they can make money renting a slip rather than giving it away, they'll likely do that. But if a slip will be empty anyway, it should hopefully be available.

I'm trying to figure this out as well, and interested in the experiences of others.

When I asked at a Safe Harbors marina, both the marina manager and dockmaster just smirked and grinned, and didn't answer my question directly other than 'it depends.'

It might be like airline frequent flyer miles. You might have a million of them, but if only one seat per flight is available for frequent flyer use, what are the odds of getting it?

Business and human nature being what they are, I suspect getting a 'complimentary' slip during the week at a less than most popular marina should be fairly doable. But on a holiday weekend at a place like Martha's Vineyard, Newport, etc.? Probably not so much.

The priority of marina managers is to maximize revenue. If they can make money renting a slip rather than giving it away, they'll likely do that. But if a slip will be empty anyway, it should hopefully be available.

That's pretty much my understanding of how they do it. They aren't necessarily looking to give slips away for free, but I get the impression they're trying to attract customers that actually use their boats, rather than customers that just let their boats sit in a slip all year.

I found this thread by searching for Safe Harbor. Read page 1 and 5. I received a solicitation from Safe Harbor to "join". They didn't discuss cost. They did promote as a benefit

• Unlimited Complimentary Transient Nights
    • Whenever and wherever we have complimentary availability, Members stay for free.
I wonder how genuine that really is. Any comments?

Unless something has changed in the last year or two, "membership" is another word for tenant. So, to become a member you need to be leasing a slip in a Safe Harbor marina for a minimum term (6 months?). There is no additional cost. Not sure what the minimum lease terms is.

So, to become a member you need to be leasing a slip in a Safe Harbor marina for a minimum term (6 months?). There is no additional cost. Not sure what the minimum lease terms is.

For sure you need to be renting a slip and I would imagine like it is at my marina they want the full year even if the season is April 1st to Nov 30 or so. If you winter with them they give you a discount on the fuel - so that could be the additional cost.

When they first took over our slip fees jumped. But they put in an ice machine for us, new bathrooms and showers. They updated a club house and pool where you can reserve the club house or use the pool.

From my perspective it was good but like everyone I did not appreciate the hike in the fees. But now we have people cleaning up the marina, walking the docks, asking if they can help. I think overall my experience has been good - but it takes time for them to make changes. The employees have stayed and are now being paid year round whereas before they would come and go and I did not trust their services...

I am in Florida. As a Floridian I ask, what is a weekend? I retired 15 years ago. Anyhow, good news about your stay in the Keys au gratis at Safe Harbor. That is contrary to another post saying "no" about slips in Florida. Bares looking into. Although it seems more the norm than not today, cost of membership is not presented upfront. I am not a full time cruiser. Hardly a part time. I have a trailer trawler (gasser). I fuel where Gas Buddy shows me the cheapest on my cell phone. I suspect Safe Harbor membership may not be worth the expense.....but I will look into it. Thanks.

The no Florida slips was two 1/2 years back and have not looked again at Florida availability since then. Apparently the program has changed. We were "Black Card" holders (big yard bill) and the rules were clear "back then" No winter Florida slips. But Black Card is no more and it seems that tenancy is the driver now and apparently Florida slips are available. Cool.

To SH credit, as a result of these posts, I called and asked for clarification, they are trying to roll me into the current program.

... and they have some limited availability - mostly in the metro areas - Miami, Charleston and other areas where they could squeeze you in but needed you gone the next day...

Lots of open dock space here at SH Charleston. It was full for the storm in January, but since then lots of boats coming and going. A surprise to me, actually, since I'd expected it'd be full-up all the time.

Pretty well-run place, good dock staff. Lots of major dock work in progress. First they're adding another "megadock" then they'll use that (and the existing, original) "megadock" to shuffle slipholders while they rebuild all the inner docks.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom