Moorage in a marina, question. {newbie}

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulton20

Veteran Member
I'm getting prices for moorage from a bunch of different places. The one thing that keeps popping up is the term "open moorage"? I understand the term "side moorage", that's pretty self exsplanitory. But open moorage has us perplexed.:confused: Can you help a newb, out? Thanks in advance!:dance:

To me "open Moorage" means outside moorage not in a shed or boathouse........:thumb:

Yep - if you're looking at moorage in the PNW, marinas advertise open or covered - open is open to the sky, covered is most often covered by a roof, but not enclosed. If a boathouse you will see that advertised separately as a house or shed.

You will also see slips advertised as single or double. A single slip will have finger piers on both sides of your boat (and thus be a bit more expensive) where a double slip you share the slipway with another boat and only have a finger pier on one side of your boat. I think most marinas around are set up with double slips as they are a more efficient use of the marina space, but you do see single slips from time to time....Everett built a few large ones in their new north basin. If they aren't specifically advertised as single you can generally assume they are a double configuration. This gives rise to being flexible - especially when just getting into a marina - of docking on either side, or in either direction, since you might get a bow in - port or starboard tie as your first available slip.

A side tie will usually be along a long pier that doesn't have any finger piers, or along one side of a pier that can't have them - due to space at the edge of the marina for example.

An end tie will be at the end of the pier. or dock...

Last edited:
Just to make sure, you can always call the marina and ask them, including "what else do I need to know?" There can be rules, facility details, etc that may be important for you.

Thank you, for everyones input! Once explained, I had a face palm moment.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom