Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Gulfstar 43 Dimensions

Thinking about going to look at a Gulfstar 43, with the twin berths in the after cabin. Before I do, I am hoping to get some comments from someone who has one.

First off, wondering what the length of the twin berths in the back is. Second question is, from the layout diagrams I've seen, it looks like the knee-room, in the forward head, when sitting down, might be a bit tight. Is that true? If so, how seriously so?

I'm 6' tall, so the headroom isn't an issue, but I've been on some trawlers where the berths were just barely long enough for me, and where my knees are banging against the door or the bulkhead when using the head.

Don't want to waste my time if these things are going to be issues with the G-43, so thanks for any information you can provide.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
I own a Gulfstar 43 trawler. I find both heads very roomy. I think the heads are larger than on comparable sized boats I've been on. Regarding the beds in the rear stateroom, I sleep on the port side and my wife sleeps on the starboard. We've got plenty of room. I don't have the exact measurements of the beds but I will be at the boat in a few weeks and will measure them for you if you still need the info. I guess the only way to really know is to lay down in the bed and see if it's long enough for you. My boat is currently in Alabama on it's way to Tennessee. You are welcome to look at my boat if if works for you logistically.

Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Got a PM from Roger Long that the berths are 84" long. That's great. Being right at 72" myself, I find that any berth less than 78" is uncomfortable. So 84" will be just fine.

Thanks for the response.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

City: flordia
Vessel Name: USCHI
Vessel Model: 1976 Gulfstar 43 MK II Trawler
Gulfstar 43

Have owned one for 18 years VERY comfortable live aboard.have twin in the arts but sleep in the double/queen..invest in a good mattress you won’t be disappointed..live aboard 6 months a year..very economical to run..avg 3-400 hrs per year
restless484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Spring City
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
43 dimensions

The aft cabin is big and has a large bed also room to move around, at least ours is.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #6

City: Burgess
Yamabuki, I’m looking hard at a 76 MK11 what size fuel tank does your 43 have and what kind of fuel consumption do you get.
Thanks
Captain willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:51 AM   #7

Tink,
I’m asking all the MK11 owners (as I may become one) about fuel consumption, what has been your experience and what is your boats fuel capacity.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #8

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Over thousands of miles of record keeping, we average 2.8 GPA at an average speed of 7 knots in our 1975 MK II. We generally cruise at 7.25 - 7.5. These figures include generator consumption. A day's run at higher speeds for weather or schedule can easily add another GPH to the consumption.
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy Star FO Tank Curve.jpg   Gypsy Star GPH.jpg   Gypsy Star Range Curves.jpg   RPM vs. Speed.jpg  
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

Roger thanks so much, a great help!
I presume your engines are 6.354’s n/a ?
Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #10

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Roger thanks so much, a great help!
I presume your engines are 6.354’s n/a ?

Yes. Wonderful engines.

Some diesel places that deal in Perkins will tell you that no parts are available for the reverse rotation starboard engine. We almost didn't buy our boat because one said "Run, don't walk away." Then I asked Trans Atlantic Diesel in Hays, VA. You'll get to know them very well if you buy this boat. They said it's true that computer searches show no parts but that's because they gave EVERY starboard engine part a different part number. Only about six parts are physically different, like the cam shafts. The engine is likely to be toast anyway if one of those goes. Just look up the corresponding parts for the port engine and order them if you need something. TAD is great to deal with and very helpful.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #11

More useful information, thanks again. Trans Atlantic Diesel is an hours drive from my house.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #12

Another can of worms

Anybody on board with an opinion on Gulfstar 43 Trawler being any more rolly-polly than the average? I’ve read that although the 43 has rounded bilges the keel has a countering effect?