newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, for/during purchase: Be very careful [money wise] regarding the general condition of boat, needs apparent and needs/costs not yet apparent.

Then pay your dues and upon close of deal realize you are a boat owner - with - "Hole in Water into which You Pour Money"! Once you get comfortable with that truism - Go Boating and Enjoy Every Minute!!

Whatever you calculate it will cost you to own a boat on an annual basis, double it for the first couple years.

pete

Finding a slip was harder than finding the boat. As luck would have it we were fortunate to have found a slip before the boat and it is in what is considered a "hurricane hole" so insurance was less of a hassle to obtain.

Good morning/afternoon all,
Just joined the site.
My wife and I just purchased a 37’ Newburyport Trunk trawler. Looking forward to all the tips and stories on the Forum.
Owned several Bayliner’s in the San Juan’s over the years so a slow boat to everywhere out of Rye, NH will be an adventure.

Just joined the site.
My wife and I just purchased a 37’ Newburyport Trunk trawler. Looking forward to all the tips and stories on the Forum.
Owned several Bayliner’s in the San Juan’s over the years so a slow boat to everywhere out of Rye, NH will be an adventure.

Welcome aboard. Maybe add NH to your location so people will have a general idea where you are located. It makes it easier when you ask questions.

Just joined the site.

Welcome! Photos?? I just brought similar up on google. Nice looking craft!

Thanks for the advice on the location. It will take a little while to get the hang of how the site works.
The boat is still in wraps on land so will add real photos once she is out.
Anyone have a ballpark on how much internal bow thruster costs?

Thanks for the advice on the location. It will take a little while to get the hang of how the site works.
The boat is still in wraps on land so will add real photos once she is out.
Anyone have a ballpark on how much internal bow thruster costs?

You would probably need a larger thruster than ours. That being said, for our MS34, the total cost for Sidepower SE60/1855 12v installed Feb 2022 was $10600. That also included new AGM battery and charger

Last edited:
You guys are killing me! I am glad I didn't read these reports ( that I know are all true) before I bought my first boat. I never analyzed the cost of ownership, just did it. Everything you guys say is so true. It's almost like the old saying, " if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it" LOL. I was really lucky that my first 2 big boats I owned, I actually sold for more money than I paid for them. As I soon found out, that is not always the case, in fact generally is not:confused: Half the fun of buying a boat is reading, looking, comparing and trying to figure out what your really want and can afford. Have fun and welcome to the happy world of boat ownership;)

Be sure you talk with any boat you eventually purchase - Before you purchase. Boats do have souls and lives of their own!

And... Be sure to realize... It's most likely a female. That's why we often refer to our boats as "she", "her", "my baby" and some times "Bitch"! LOL

Thanks very much for your feedback PhilPB. The quote I got was in fact $10K for a 6” tunnel, inclusive of the new battery and charger set.
Now that the cold streak has passed (-11 Friday night), we can start working on the little inside things before we take the shrink off.

Reading the posts on looking buying and making the boat your own is fascinating.
We were very fortunate, we found a slip and then found the right boat. 1987 one owner, purchased, moored and serviced her in the same location for 35 years. Only 1949 hours on the Ford Lehman.
Some cracks in the diamond molded non-skid fly ridge so will have to address before we put her back in the water. Any suggestion on what is best approach the project?

Thanks very much for your feedback PhilPB. The quote I got was in fact $10K for a 6” tunnel, inclusive of the new battery and charger set.
Now that the cold streak has passed (-11 Friday night), we can start working on the little inside things before we take the shrink off.

Ours was a 185mm tunnel (4hp 132lb thrust). We have a light boat. What are the specs of the thruster you are looking into?

Hi PhilPB
We are looking at a 6” tunnel, 6 Hp with 75 kgf power or enough to manage a 20-23 knot side wind.
Our ‘new’ baby weighs 26,000 lbs before I add additional battery sets and other accessories.
We are having the yard that has done all the work on her to date do the install.

Hi PhilPB
We are looking at a 6” tunnel, 6 Hp with 75 kgf power or enough to manage a 20-23 knot side wind.
Our ‘new’ baby weighs 26,000 lbs before I add additional battery sets and other accessories.
We are having the yard that has done all the work on her to date do the install.

That would allow me to do a 360° ! Loaded with fuel & water we are close to 17,000 lbs.

Twin screws with good sized rudders work well for me.

Back
Top Bottom