Rebuild or Replace dripless pss shaft seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sykes

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
Bruno Stillman 42
Preparing to haul out to replace the cutlass bearing and paint the bottom. The PSS shaft seal has 6500 hours since installed new. Can it be saved with a maintenance kit or should I buy new one?

1000002280.jpg

1000002279.jpg

1000002281.jpeg
1000002283.jpg

Last edited:
I think I would just replace the whole thing since it has rust around the cooling hose fitting. By the time you buy all the worn out parts you may be in about as much as a new one. After that many hours you have gotten your money’s worth out of this one.

Last edited:
I agree with Dave. We were in the same situation a few years ago and replaced it.

I’d rebuild it. The clamp over the nipple is where I looks like the rust is coming from. I don’t think PSS would have a nipple that would rust like that? What’s the kit vs replacement cost?

I would also add a hose clamp, or similar, to the shaft in front of the seal to keep it from sliding forward. My new pss shaft seal slid up the shaft and started gushing water after 5 hours into a cruise. Very nerve racking. I think pss sells the stainless two part clamps for this purpose now as well.

I’d rebuild it. The clamp over the nipple is where I looks like the rust is coming from. I don’t think PSS would have a nipple that would rust like that? What’s the kit vs replacement cost?
175 v 500

I contacted PSS concerning wear on the carbon block when deciding whether to rebuild or replace. They have a specification for the amount remaining between the hose barb and the stainless doughnut. Mine was still over 50% of original after 8 years and 5,900 +/- hours.

The measurement requires a fairly precise tool. I used a dial caliper.

20240426_195812.jpg

Ted

You won't know the answer to repair or replace until you take it apart. As O C Diver says it is wear on the rotor and stator that matter. If under time pressure to get back in the water then replace. Cleaning those parts up takes time. What comes in the repair kit is a new bellows, new O rings for the stainless rotor and new hose clamps for the bellows. Those are of course important parts but the real work of keeping the water out when you are running is done between the rotor and stator.

At 6500 hours that seal doesn’t owe you a penny. I replaced one at similar hours and was glad I did. I had plenty of meat left on the stator, but the rotor face was not flat any more. It was shiny, but a bit wavy. Since they wear in as a set, I didn’t want to take the chance that a new bellows would skew the fit of the rotor/stator and cause issues. Best to just replace it all while you’re on the hard.

I replaced it. The rotor face was worn and the black ( i think its graphite) looked warn almost to the water nipple. They changed out the cutlass, everything went smooth, the boats in great condition around the strut and rudder. They found a good amount of blisters and ground them out, should be back in the water on Monday. The yard I have her at has been great, my 2nd time and I couldn't be happier.

Back
Top Bottom