Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: La Center
Vessel Name: Breeze
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Thank you for that, Oldersalt. Boat selection has an intangible quality and yes, GBs have made my own heart sing since I was a little girl. Everything you say confirms that we should follow our gut as far as it takes us when choosing which boats to look for. I am really concerned now though after the conversation last night and thinking about how this boat would work with our labrador. The swim step and getting in and out of the dinghy will be easy, but can't quite resolve the flybridge access problem, particularly with the 32. She wouldn't be happy down below if we are up top. I think we could get her up on the flybridge on a 36, but we much prefer the 32 and the ample cockpit space. It just "feels" better. We obviously won't choose our boat based on the dog, but it is a very real consideration. Is there a thread on this forum specifically geared toward trawler pets?

melissar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #22

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Considerations

Hi Melissa R:

Dogs rule, and everything on a boat is a trade-off.

Your posts made me think of a beautiful, silly Lyle Lovett song, "If I Had a Boat."

And if I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat…

Enjoy your boat search,
Pea
with Dan & the pooches Birdie & Lucy Lu

Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I know that song...now I won't be able to get it out of my head today.

Growing up on a 42' sailboat, we had Bosun (a nice size mutt, perfect for the boat), then found a stray, very large Doberman. We had a parrot and a cockatiel, I had a pet mouse and oftentimes a kitty. Yes, it is all possible, if not advisable.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Does it come with a "Shed"?
No! It is a differant dock just up river on the Washington side. Lol
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Our GB 36 is for sale and within your stated budget. If you are up in the La Conner area ours is listed with La Conner Yacht Sales and I would encourage you to take your dog aboard and see how it could get to the fly bridge. Of the regular access steps did not work, I believe a simple plastic 2 step for home use could give easy access for your lab when placed in the cockpit and up onto the aft cabin roof to the stairs above. But, go aboard and see if it would work for you. We loved the wide walk around of the 36.

Laconner Yacht Sales -
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi Keith -- We were doing a little messaging last night, I think on another thread. I'm the one that will be heading up to Whidbey over the 4th and was hoping to get with your broker to schedule a time to look at your boat. My husband won't be with me, but I will get a feel for your particular boat, and see what I think. Hoping we can make that work.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Hi again,

Yes, I thought so but wanted to make sure. I will call the broker, Marcie and Art and let them know you are thinking of heading that way. The boat has been awesome for us. We went to the Broughtons on our last trip. 42 days aboard and 800 nautical miles. Fantastic trip!

Keith
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #28

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Melissar,
We followed a similar path; kids went their ways, empty nest, downsized by selling the larger house we didnt need, and bought a trawler.
Lots of folks love GBs so i'm sure its a good option. However, there are in fact so many options this day in age for something in the trawler category. As others mentioned, it would be wise get your feet aboard many different manufacturers in that LOA range before you make a decision.
Also (perhaps you've already done this) it helps to make as detailed a priority list as possible; maybe separated into "must-have" vs. "nice-to-have", etc.
There's no right or wrong and everyone has their preferences, but for example for us we didn't want external teak to maintain, didn't want a flybridge, and definitely wanted a single engine with a full keel protected propeller (there's a fair number of stray logs in the PNW). I also like more working space in the engine room as well as maintaining and carrying spares for only one engine.
I know single vs. twins is a hot topic, but ignoring that, the point is; it sure helps to crawl around on a bunch of different boats to help you figure what's important to you. Good Luck!
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
Melissar,
We followed a similar path; kids went their ways, empty nest, downsized by selling the larger house we didnt need, and bought a trawler.
Lots of folks love GBs so i'm sure its a good option. However, there are in fact so many options this day in age for something in the trawler category. As others mentioned, it would be wise get your feet aboard many different manufacturers in that LOA range before you make a decision.
Also (perhaps you've already done this) it helps to make as detailed a priority list as possible; maybe separated into "must-have" vs. "nice-to-have", etc.
There's no right or wrong and everyone has their preferences, but for example for us we didn't want external teak to maintain, didn't want a flybridge, and definitely wanted a single engine with a full keel protected propeller (there's a fair number of stray logs in the PNW). I also like more working space in the engine room as well as maintaining and carrying spares for only one engine.
I know single vs. twins is a hot topic, but ignoring that, the point is; it sure helps to crawl around on a bunch of different boats to help you figure what's important to you. Good Luck!
Well described!

In a nut shell: There's a trade off for everything, especially in boating!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: La Conner / Yacolt, WA
Vessel Name: Pagoo
Vessel Model: Campion 30
Melissar.

We live about ten miles from La Center near Yacolt. We keep our 30' Campion in La Conner. We feel that the Islands is one of the very best places to boat. You may want to look up the Fort Vancouver Sail and Power Squadron. https://www.usps.org/index.php/sss-home They are nice folks that will help you in many ways with your boating endeavors.

Fred P..............

Fredp is offline   Reply With Quote