Old 05-18-2021, 02:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaman View Post
Hey Wifey B,
That is a tough question; especially as I am in love with all the Greek islands and I find that every place has something unique to offer.
Anyway, having said that and assuming you will be coming in from Italy, I expect you want five suggestions for the Greek Ionian islands.
Here are five:
1. You want to do Corfu, the main town. It is where you will probably check in to the country with the port authorities. You can anchor out in front of the yacht club. Or go into the yachtclub if they have a berthing. Alternatively you can go to the nearby marina in Gouvia a few miles off. The town is busy but beauriful.
2. I think it is worthwhile making a stop at Sivota and spending the night in one of the beautiful bays of the little islands there.
3. Definitely Paxoi - one night in Longos and one night in the main town further south in the channel between the main island of Paxoi and Aghios Nikolaos.
4. Definitely Antipaxoi. Go into the bay just north of Agrapidia near the end of the day when most boats are leaving, stay overnight and leave in the morning when the first day-cruise-tourist-boat arrives after ten.'
5. That is easily more than five stops, really. But if you go further south you don't want to miss Fiskardo in Kefalonia.
Hope this helps.
Octaman._

Wow - thanks for this question, WifeyB! And thanks for the response, Octaman! I am saving this to my "to do" list for 2023!!

Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Hey Wifey B,
That is a tough question; especially as I am in love with all the Greek islands and I find that every place has something unique to offer.
Anyway, having said that and assuming you will be coming in from Italy, I expect you want five suggestions for the Greek Ionian islands.
Here are five:
1. You want to do Corfu, the main town. It is where you will probably check in to the country with the port authorities. You can anchor out in front of the yacht club. Or go into the yachtclub if they have a berthing. Alternatively you can go to the nearby marina in Gouvia a few miles off. The town is busy but beauriful.
2. I think it is worthwhile making a stop at Sivota and spending the night in one of the beautiful bays of the little islands there.
3. Definitely Paxoi - one night in Longos and one night in the main town further south in the channel between the main island of Paxoi and Aghios Nikolaos.
4. Definitely Antipaxoi. Go into the bay just north of Agrapidia near the end of the day when most boats are leaving, stay overnight and leave in the morning when the first day-cruise-tourist-boat arrives after ten.'
5. That is easily more than five stops, really. But if you go further south you don't want to miss Fiskardo in Kefalonia.
Hope this helps.
Octaman._
Wifey B: Thanks for the info. We'll also go around to the Aegean side, a couple of days in Athens, a stop in Crete. We'd love to spend three weeks seeing Greece but only have a week to allocate to it. Our problem is being limited to 90 days in Schengen countries. It's annoying to be on the clock and knowing it's counting down. Arrived today so just 89 days left. We'll mix in about 30 in non-Schengen this summer.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #23

City: Athens, Greece
Vessel Name: LOLITA
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Hi Wifey B, ?
If you are allocating just one week to Greece (the Ionian and the Aegean seas and Crete) you may have to review your itinerary. You can't do it all in just seven days. Unless you shift into an "Around the world in 80 days" mode and spend 98 percent of your time on board cruising. Even so, highly unlikely. In my opinion that would defeat the purpose of a cruise. I would suggest you reconsider. Just my humble, friendly opinion.
Octaman._
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #24

City: Westport
Vessel Name: L'Eau Vive
Vessel Model: Bayliner
Octaman, welcome my Greek brother!!!

It's my dream to take my ship to Greece and cruise around for a year or two in paradise...

Right now, we are in Costa Rica doing boat repairs, fishing, and spending money like drunken sailors

~Lucky Chucky
Lucky Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Hi Wifey B, ?
If you are allocating just one week to Greece (the Ionian and the Aegean seas and Crete) you may have to review your itinerary. You can't do it all in just seven days. Unless you shift into an "Around the world in 80 days" mode and spend 98 percent of your time on board cruising. Even so, highly unlikely. In my opinion that would defeat the purpose of a cruise. I would suggest you reconsider. Just my humble, friendly opinion.
Octaman._
Wifey B: Sorry, but alas, some key information. We do our cruising at high speed. Most of the time on board cruising will be at 30-40 knots or so unless we're in a real hurry. So, in total, out of the 7 days, just a day or day and a half actually getting from place to place.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:15 PM   #26

City: West Med
Vessel Name: La Mer
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
La Mer!

Eimaste kala - Euxaristw
(We are well - thank you)

What a lovely tale and beautiful photos of Santorini.

Thank you for the 'Kalosorisma'.
I am guessing you will continue to cruise in Paradise.
I have travelled extensively in earlier days and there are certainly many other beautiful and interesting places on the planet, but Greece and the Greek islands continue to be my number one! I agree with Conde Nast.

I am posting a photo from the Ionian to share with you - taken with my drone whilst cruising on the boat in the photo 2 years ago.

Octaman._

Good shot of stunning landscape. Efcharisto poly.

In west med you swim in glass clear water. In Greece you swim in cristal clear water.

More photos of my 2020 cruise in paradise there

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tml#post914239

posts 65,69,71,72,75,84,94,96

Definitely I will be back next year. With my next boat on cargo back and forth.
La Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Lemmer
Vessel Name: Mr.Bean2
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Welcome Octaman! from Gaios on Paxos at the moment
We've been travelling the Eastern Med the last couple of years. Check mrbean2.com for more info.
Hope to meet you somewhere around your beautiful country!

Cheers, André Huizing
AndreHuizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: creteil
Vessel Name: Ramkay
Welcome Octaman. I also have a 1978 GB32 but in France. I am presently docked in a Marina on the Marne river (branch from the Seine river) in the Big Paris area. The GB 32 is an awesome boat and very seaworthy. I brought her from Brest to Paris by sea and river, took me 13 days. The Lehman 120 is super reliable and an unbreakable engine as long as it's well maintained. Thinking about doing the trip to the Mediterranean via the straight of Gibraltar. That's a 3 months trip. Good luck with your boat.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #29

City: Cannes
Vessel Name: Cerbere
Vessel Model: Ultramar Open 660
From the Marne, is there a way to go down to the Med through channels and the Rhône? Did you check if the air draft allows it?
Guilhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Yes you can get there through the canal lateral of the Marne to the Soane and there to the Rhone all the way down to Bouches du Rhone to the Mediterranean. The only setback is that you have to go through around 250 locks and stick to the locks operating schedule. I did consider it and on a GB32 it's all clear as far as height clearance 3.45m and a 1.2m draft (mast and flybridge bimini frame down). It's a good month trip with beautiful sceneries.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Sharing with you some pics of our GB32. Great boat, great trips. Enjoy your GB.
Attached Thumbnails
20200117_153019.jpg   20200117_153122.jpg   20200117_153356.jpg   20200117_154121.jpg   20200126_154219.jpg  

20200603_170927.jpg   20200603_170950.jpg  

ramkay is offline   Reply With Quote