Old 11-03-2020, 03:12 AM   #1

City: Goleta
california cruising

Hello everyone, I am running a 16' Radon in southern California. Love cruising all our local islands and spending nights on the hook. Hope to get a stepup boat eventually and love how the trawlers look.

offshoreskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:01 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to TF. Try to maintain the dream, it's worth it.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Hi Offshore, I always see lots of Radon’s at the Islands. Cool boats. It’s impressive how far out you guys take them. A hard charging group of fisherman and divers.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Yes, Radon are totally unknown Down-under, so I googled them. They look the business all right, if you like tough and fast, and seaworthy at the same time. Look a bit like the Stabicraft from NZ. https://www.stabicraft.com/the-boats

Also a bit like the Aussie Bar Crushers...
https://www.barcrusher.com.au

Radon Boats Home
Old 11-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I was recently anchored at an offshore Island and 3 young guys in a 20 ft Radon pulled up with a full fish bag, rods, and smiles on their faces. They dropped the hook, had a couple beers, broke out the sleeping bags on deck, then back at it the next morning. I enjoy the comfort of a Trawler, but I also miss those days of hanging with some buddies on a small boat. Every day on the water is a gift, no matter what the vessel is.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I was recently anchored at an offshore Island and 3 young guys in a 20 ft Radon pulled up with a full fish bag, rods, and smiles on their faces. They dropped the hook, had a couple beers, broke out the sleeping bags on deck, then back at it the next morning. I enjoy the comfort of a Trawler, but I also miss those days of hanging with some buddies on a small boat. Every day on the water is a gift, no matter what the vessel is.

Gosh, I remember heading out with 8 guys on my buddies 34 sport fish for a diving trip on Memorial Day. It rained, so everybody slept in the cabin. A bit too much togetherness with 8 divers, no shower, multiple dives in a damp dry suit.

On another trip, we wiped out a shaft many miles from home. Pulled the shaft out while still in the water and took it to a local machine shop to get straightened as it could be. All the fwd cabin soles were underwater by the time we got it in and out, everything was damp and we still slept in the boat.

We had a great time, but I don’t think I’d enjoy as much today! I rather enjoy my more delicate nature these days.
ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
We had a great time, but I don’t think I’d enjoy as much today! I rather enjoy my more delicate nature these days.
Yeah, there's enjoying roughing it, and not roughing it, and not roughing it is better...