Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or if you use Gmail for email, or hotmail, you already have one for free. Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive.

I have Drop Box, Cloud Drive & One Drive. But fortunately, it seems that e-mail accounts are typically willing to receive up to 25MB attachments these days. Quite surprising, really, considering all the file sharing options out there. Seems like only a few years ago the limit was 5 MB...

Had one of my grandkids bitch about covid restrictions. Told him about his great granddad (my maternal grandfather). He was in the navy for WW1. His ship came back from the North Atlantic with intention for refit and R & R at the Brooklyn Navy yard. They were quarantined in sight of his childhood neighborhood for a year due to the 1918-9 flu. Asked him to imagine being stuck on a small boat (destroyer) looking at your street for a year. Shut him right up. They were actually stuck on the boat even after scheduled discharge from the Navy and armistice day as the quarantine wasn’t lifted until afterwards.

Last edited:
Had one of my grandkids bitch about covid restrictions. Told him about his great granddad (my maternal grandfather). He was in the navy for WW1. His ship came back from the North Atlantic with intention for refit and R & R at the Brooklyn Navy yard. They were quarantined in sight of his childhood neighborhood for a year due to the 1918-9 flu. Asked him to imagine being stuck on a small boat (destroyer) looking at your street for a year. Shut him right up. They were actually stuck on the boat even after being discharged from the Navy and armistice day as the quarantine wasn’t lifted until afterwards.

Make worse, no WiFi, no computer, no gameboy, no TV, crappy AM radio, no A/C

Pay stops when one is discharged AND they still were expected to perform their onboard duties. Sort of like slave labor LOL
Just the govt's way of encouraging you to reenlist.

Pearl Harbor

I was in the Navy from 1966 to 1972. In 1969 I was in a transit barracks on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. One day I was assigned "guard duty" at the Arizona Memorial. Basically just stand around in dress uniform and direct tourists where to go. But on the memorial itself it was difficult not to tear up multiple times during a 4 hour shift. Later, in 1970 I was on a ship that happened to be in Pearl Harbor while they were filming the movie Tora Tora Tora! about the attack. Many vintage airplanes flew mock attack runs over the harbor and the ships there. It was obviously not the same thing but for a young sailor it sure brought home the meaning of that day.
My dad landed in Normandy on D+4 with the tanks.
I will never forget the greatest generation and hope that I honored there service when I did mine.

Just took a look at CNN, Fox News, etc. Not a one of them mentioned that this is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor 79 years ago. But there are lots of stories about corruption, dirty politicians, weather. Just goes to show you what the news considers important . . .

images

Not true! You may have missed it but i happened to watch Fox & Friends on December 7th and they had a couple of stories recalling that terrible day in history. Our local, Fox 13 Tampa Bay, FL area, also had a segment on the evening news.
I am really interested in this type of documentation as my father served in the tanks under Patton. He was wounded 3 times, receiving 3 Purple Hearts, and had permanent injuries he suffered from throughout his life. Last time was during the Battle of the Bulge when his tank was hit by a boozuka.
IMHO, God has a special place in Heaven for all those who gave of themselves and served their country.

Totally agree with Capt-Tef.

I never said they didn't carry any stories, but that I didn't see anything on their sites. Guess it wasn't newsworthy enough to post on their internet sites, at least where and when I looked. Sad

I agree Slow goes it....it is sad. You would think that those who provided the right of free speech, by laying down their lives, would be recognized by the very people who benefited most from it.
You're right. It's a shame at how quick these sacrifices are forgotten.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to the stories online.

I can’t speak about Fix who will never knowingly be able to count my eyeballs in their advertising revenue, but CNN and CBS both had coverage on it last evening. Also NPR this morning.

And our governor who despite being a businessman has been equated with a communist dictator lately by the know-nothings, had a proclamation recognizing it officially for the first time, I believe, in the state’s history.

But I agree it hasn’t exactly been a slow news day today.

Very disappointing to read you politicize a tragic event which woke us up and
united us to join the fight and defeat fascism. God bless America for our resolve. God bless the "Greatest Generation" who answered the call.

Last edited:
Very disappointing to read you politicize a tragic event which woke us up and
united us to join the fight and defeat fascism. God bless America for our resolve.

I believe the OP politicized the event, calling out the news media. I was simply noting that considering everything going on in 2020, I saw the news media note it, unlike him. More Americans are dying of Covid each day now than passed due to the Pearl Harbor attack, which is a distraction from the usual practice of paying attention to the normal milestones of our nation.

It you don’t like my comment about Fox, well, you’ll eventually get over it. They are a plague of human locusts sucking on our nation’s vitality.

The crack about the governor, ok, but battle born Nevada just got around to officially recognizing December 7. No other governor bothered before this year, and I thought it was worthwhile to mention. Thus, I saw more about the anniversary in Nevada, than perhaps others in other places.

I’ve found that young people don’t care much for the old anniversaries. To them, even 9/11 is old news and not worth noticing. To me, it seems like yesterday, I spent many, many hours guarding key infrastructure like dams for two years afterwards and in-between was deployed to the Winter Olympics to help protect the athletes because unlike most LEO’s I and my unit were proficient on skis.

Maybe that’s why there are so many wannabe fascists running around our country currently, no one remembers.

Last edited:
Not intended to make Dec 8th a less sad day, just pointing out that there was numerous reminders what happened December 8th, but only the forum reminded me about Pearl, nothing noticed locally. And it is a historic day to be remembered, Dec 7th.

It you don’t like my comment about Fox, well, you’ll eventually get over it. They are a plague of human locusts sucking on our nation’s vitality.
Maybe that’s why there are so many wannabe fascists running around our country currently, no one remembers.

Sweet Jesus me hearty, give it a rest. Please. The OP lamented about not seeing 12/07/41 being commemorated/remembered on TV. Many of us do not live in 18 hour darkness and do not watch all the TV you may in the way north. If you would, please dial back on your opinions on Fix news, Covid virus as more news worthy then 12/07/41 and your take on latter day fascists. Not quite dispassionate discussion.

Last edited:
I noticed that since Trump was elected the main stream media is negligent on many fronts as well. No anniversary mention of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki/ Hiroshima or rarely mentioning of the My Lai massacre. The only way history won’t repeat itself is if we do our best to remember these horrific events from the past . All the while commemorating the innocent victims.

This the same reason I quit most forums, way too political. I try to leave my political views at the door before entering a forum but I guess some can't do that. It would be nice to just follow a forum and learn a few things instead of everyone trying to convince everyone else they are holier than thou.
Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Last edited:
Agree

This the same reason I quit most forums, way too political. I try to leave my political views at the door before entering a forum but I guess some can't do that. It would be nice to just follow a forum and learn a few things instead of everyone trying to convince everyone else they are holier than thou.
Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

I agree. I’m just sick of people politicizing everything. We used to turn away when people mix politics with a normal discussion at least until people inject their political thoughts into everything. I apologize and will endeavour to not let statements posted rile my political beliefs in the future.

LOL I remov myself from any forum that equates to, 'my anchor is better than your anchor.'

Last edited:
Greetings,
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

NOT necessarily applicable to Dec. 7th but...

Now that's something worth arguing about!:D

Reminds me of the time I was in a Ft Lauderdale motel over looking the water. (hand held VHF turned on) Port captain close the port, cargo ships were strung out waiting for the port to reopen. You could hear on the VHF, 'bow into the wind, 2 anchors out, throttle full ahead.'
Not once did I hear any of the crew asking, 'What type a anchors do you have?' Nor did I hear crap like, 'You should have used this brand of anchor.' LOL
Or if you wish, 'Ya dance with the one who brung ya.'

Last edited:
One of the special things in life, listening to a VHF near a busy port. Almost as fun as watching a boat ramp on a holiday weekend!

Sweet Jesus me hearty, give it a rest. Please. The OP lamented about not seeing 12/07/41 being commemorated/remembered on TV. Many of us do not live in 18 hour darkness and do not watch all the TV you may in the way north. If you would, please dial back on your opinions on Fix news, Covid virus as more news worthy then 12/07/41 and your take on latter day fascists. Not quite dispassionate discussion.

People are dying at prodigious rates. For a while we were near constitutional crisis status. People should be excused for forgetting the important anniversaries for the year. Whole generations are terrible at remembering them in the best times, and that I agree is a shame.

Too political for you? Anything besides lecturing me about your preferences about what I say, to contribute here?

Last edited:

friz, I am the OP, and I mentioned NOTHING about TV. You may want to go back and re-read the post. I stated CNN, Fox News, etc., nothing about TV. I viewed them over the internet. Personally I don't watch TV. I am clarifying this because I suggest you actually read (and not read INTO) posts before you engage your fingers on your keyboard. Several of your post indicate that you apparently didn't read posts you are commenting on, maybe just picking up a word here and there and just assuming you know what the post is about.

It was not my intention to politicize anything. As another poster stated (one who apparently read and understood my post) I was merely pointing out the sad state of affairs of our major news networks.:nonono:

For those of you who took my original post to be political, I apologize, it was not intended as such. For those of you who read the post and appreciated the sentiment, thank you. Now I'm going to bow our of the discussion as it's getting a little stuffy in this thread. Best wishes to all and I hope the new year brings fair winds and following seas to you all.

Greetings,
Is history even taught in schools any more? I have absolutely no idea what courses ARE still taught other than the 3-R's (I hope) and an increasing emphasis on computer "stuff".

Seems that most every state I’ve lived in requires state history to be taught at least one year in middle school. I have mixed feelings about the value of a deep dive into state history when basic civics and world history is being neglected - and our population is much more mobile these days than in our past.

Greetings,
Is history even taught in schools any more? I have absolutely no idea what courses ARE still taught other than the 3-R's (I hope) and an increasing emphasis on computer "stuff".

I think the 3R's left the building in the 80's. My kids came home and I tried to help with their math. something about if two trains leave..... there was no times table memorised. At least there were only two bathrooms then.

The two trains leave math problem was being used long before the disappearance of the 3Rs. It is a classic algebraic problem.
I think the 3R's left the building in the 80's. My kids came home and I tried to help with their math. something about if two trains leave..... there was no times table memorised. At least there were only two bathrooms then.

Greetings,
Mr. cj. I don't think Mr. SV is referring to the "classic" two trains problem but more of the manner by which the problem is presented. I suspect something like this:

iu

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom