Oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Oops, indeed! Amazing somebody caught this on video just as it happened!
It looks like the black ship is angling across the channel, where it most likely shouldn't be. Hard to be sure without full visual context. The follow-on news will be interesting...

That is incredible footage. The red boat was carrying wind turbine bases (very common international cargo on the GL). Did the red boat pinch off the starboard passage for the black boat and thus he tried to sneak around to his starboard? It was either this, the black boats steering failed, or huge dereliction of duty. Terrorism? I assume the camera was on the western shore as the red boat should have been headed south towards Lake Erie. Would like to know more.

This one will be interesting to watch as the "decision makers" get involved.

There are a lot of people who are having a very, very bad day right now.

Actually the CBC is right when they say it's rare. I can't think of another incident like this in recent memory.

At least it looks like things could have been a lot worse. Nobody was hurt or worse. It doesn't look like either ship was critically damaged. The bent stuff all looks to have been above the waterline, or if not, then any flooding should have been easily contained. No pollution.

Nothing to do but wait and see, and try not to get annoyed with all the morons in the peanut gallery who's entire knowledge of the industry comes from watching Pirates of the Caribbean, who assume the captain was drunk, stupid, or both.

Shouldn't they pass port to port? Why was the red ship across the "centre line"?

Murray,
Watch it again, I am not sure he was over the center line. If he was it might have been an effort to get the black boat to glance off his bows when they hit. It is a good thing both boats had a decent amount of bow flare. That flair lined up pretty good to keep their waterlines away from each other. The black boat was clearly running on an angle. Why? We are likely to find out. Bill

Murray,
Watch it again, I am not sure he was over the center line...

Oh ya, maybe not. On a quick first viewing, with the angle of view, the red ship looked to be near the centre of the waterway. Watched again and it does look like the black ship made an abrupt turn across the canal.

News says one of the ships lost steering.

In 2009, the freighter Petersfield had a "complete gyro failure" and hit shore a couple hours out of Kitimat, denting up its bulbous bow on the rocky shoreline. Lucky for them, not much damage was done and the bottom was so steep they managed to back off on their own.

Not much you can do in a canal or narrow channel :eek:

Coal laden ship and wind turbine laden ship collide.

Almost too good to be true.

To confirm above, the one ship, not sure but probably the black one, had lost all steering. Apparently the bridges were in contact with each other well before contact.

I assume the camera was on the western shore as the red boat should have been headed south towards Lake Erie. Would like to know more.

My informed sources confirm that ALANIS is up bound, headed south.* Vid is from W shore looking SE.

Back
Top Bottom