The Inverted Yield Curve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Received this from my wealth management company this afternoon. Thought some of you might find it interesting and informative as I did given that it is written in layman's terms.

The Inverted Yield Curve

If you ask an economist what makes them toss and turn at night, chances are they’ll tell you, “Fear of missing the warning signs of a recession.” After all, for anyone who studies the economy for a living, few things could be worse than a sudden economic slump catching you by surprise.

That’s why many economists rely on certain indicators to predict if there’s rough weather ahead.

Historically, one of the most reliable indicators is the inverted yield curve. This is when the yield on long-term bonds drops below the yield on short-term bonds. Why does this matter to economists?

Because an inverted yield curve has preceded every recession since 1956.

On August 14, the yield on 10-year Treasury bonds dropped below 1.6%, officially falling beneath the yield on 2-year Treasury bonds for the first time since 2007. That’s an inverted yield curve. The markets responded the way children do when a hornet gets inside the family car – they panicked. The Dow, the S&P 500, and the NASDAQ all fell sharply, with the Dow plunging over 700 points.

The obvious question, of course, is “Why?”

It’s a smart question! To the average investor, the term “inverted yield curve” probably doesn’t sound very scary. So, why does it have the markets freaking out? Let’s break it down by answering a few basic – but also smart – questions.

1. What’s a bond yield, again?

A bond yield is the return you get when you put your money in a government or corporate bond. Whenever an investor buys a bond, they’re agreeing to loan money to the issuer of that bond – the government, in the case of Treasury bonds – for a specific length of time. Typically, the longer the time the higher the yield, as investors want a greater return in exchange for locking up their money for years or even decades. That’s why the yield on long-term bonds is almost always higher than on short-term bonds. When these trade places, we have an inverted yield curve.

2. Okay, so why have bond yields inverted?

Bear with us here, because we’re about to get a little technical. Bond yields have an inverse relationship with bond prices. That means when prices go up, yields fall, and vice versa.

What do we mean by price? Well, investors must pay to buy bonds, of course, and when more people buy them, the price of these bonds goes up. (It’s the basic law of supply and demand: When the demand for something increases, so does the price.) When that happens, yields drop.

Investors often see bonds as safe havens of sorts, especially during economic turmoil. Stocks, on the other hand, tend to be seen as “higher risk, higher reward” investments. In this case, investors are selling their stocks and plowing more and more money into long-term bonds, pushing prices up and yields below that of short-term bonds. The fact investors are doing this suggests they’re not optimistic about the near future health of the economy and are seeking safe places to park their money.

3. Why are investors so worried about the economy?

On the home front, it’s largely because of the trade war between the U.S. and China. As the two nations engage in an ever-growing battle of tariffs, the fear is that businesses in the U.S. will have to raise prices, thereby hurting consumers. On August 13, President Trump decided to delay the most recent round of tariffs until December, saying he didn’t want tariffs to affect shopping during the Christmas season. Previously, Trump predicted tariffs would not hurt U.S. businesses, so this sudden about-face suggests even he is worried.

Investors are also worried about a slowdown in the global economy. Two of the world’s most important economies, China and Germany, have both shrunk. Put all these things together and it’s not hard to see why investors worry about a recession in the near future.

Fears the recent news about inverted yield curves will only stoke.

4. So is a recession imminent?

As we mentioned earlier, inverted yield curves have preceded every recession since 1956. This includes the Great Recession of 2008. But does this mean a recession is just around the corner?

No!

There are two things to keep in mind here. First, a brief inverted yield curve is not the same thing as a sustained one. While inversions have preceded every modern recession, inversions do not always lead to a recession. Think of it this way: You can’t have a rainstorm without dark gray clouds. But dark gray clouds don’t always lead to a rainstorm. Make sense?

You see, correlation does not equal causation. By this we mean that while inversions and recessions are often seen together, one does not actually cause the other. An inverted yield curve is like a sneeze: It’s a symptom, not the disease itself. And while a sneeze can mean you have a cold, it doesn’t lead to a cold. Sometimes, we sneeze because we got pepper up our nose.

Second, let’s assume for argument’s sake that this recent inversion is a warning sign of a future recession. That doesn’t mean a recession is imminent. Some analysis suggests that it takes an average of twenty-two months for a recession to follow an inversion. That’s a long time! A long time to save, invest, plan and prepare.

5. So does an inverted yield curve even matter, then?

We will put it simply: It matters enough to pay attention to. It doesn’t matter enough to be worth panicking over. Make no mistake, we’re in a volatile period right now. There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that volatility will continue. But while comparing the markets to the weather has become something of a cliché, it also makes a lot of sense. When storm clouds gather, we pack an umbrella or stay inside. We don’t run for the hills.

The same is true of market volatility.

Last edited:
I agree with their conclusion. I feel they have missed the whole issue of most the world including China are in a recession. US Tbills are paying a lot more interest than other countries there fore foreign demand has pushed the yield down. So yes, the inverted yield curve is showing recession, just not necessarily for the US.

I think they covered that under point 3, especially mentioning Germany and China.

200.webp

Worldwide options for parking money are poor, except here. The treasury doesn't have to pay as much to attract investors.

Worldwide options for parking money are poor, except here. The treasury doesn't have to pay as much to attract investors.

That's the point of this article on inversion. Investors are paying higher prices for long term bonds so the % yields are less than they are for short term - indicating more people are parking money for longer, indicating less confidence in the global economy. And in equities.

However my point in posting this was to explain in simple language what the inverted yield curve is.

Last edited:
I think they covered that under point 3, especially mentioning Germany and China.
Haven`t there been more tariff announcements, by both sides, since that position was announced?
With every announcement or tweet, from USA or China, be they new or increased tariffs,retaliatory or otherwise, the stock market reacts with large reactive jittery up/down movements which greatly bother investors. Currencies and interest rates are affected too. Ordering by tweet that US companies quit China altogether was pretty "out there".

We are witnessing a trade war,the likes of which has not been seen in a long while. Whatever the rights, wrongs, or otherwise, we are in risky territory. Gold is up,there are cries of "cash is king". It`s not good.

Haven`t there been more tariff announcements, by both sides, since that position was announced?
With every announcement or tweet, from USA or China, be they new or increased tariffs,retaliatory or otherwise, the stock market reacts with large reactive jittery up/down movements which greatly bother investors. Currencies and interest rates are affected too. Ordering by tweet that US companies quit China altogether was pretty "out there".

We are witnessing a trade war,the likes of which has not been seen in a long while. Whatever the rights, wrongs, or otherwise, we are in risky territory. Gold is up,there are cries of "cash is king". It`s not good.

I believe the point being discussed is that people are leaving the equities market for long term bonds and are willing to pay higher premium for those bonds. Meaning that money has exited equities for a long period and into safer notes.

But as the article states, It doesn't always mean a recession is definite. Just that an inversion has always preceded a recession. Not that a recession has always followed an inversion.

In a world wide economy ,a recession is normal as there has to be some clearing of excesses.

The next one may be a doozy as most govs world wide have used QE , money printing , bogus (central bank) credit creation as a political tool.

It could come from a China or Germany crash , or from the Britex departure from the EU. Or elsewhere.

The Freddy and Fanny created housing crash was predictable , but the trigger and timing was of course invisible beforehand. Same as 1929 crash.................SURPRISE!!!!

IF the world goes lockstep down the created credit hole , my guess is Dow down 90+% within 5 years.

Read a non kollege history book to see how fiat money economies die.

Or remember the Greeks thought, " democracy ends when the populace votes it self into the treasury"
.And any democracy is always followed by a dictator ship.

They used speci , not fiat currency , so the crashes were smaller.

Gold may be confiscated again , in 1929 a $100 bill was worth $1500 in purchasing power today , the fine for having gold was $10,000 , and there were no computer trails to follow.

Last edited:
"Longest bull market in history" Since 2009.

Don't think anyone would be surprised by a ten percent correction, 2000+ points. Nobody wants to get caught with their pants down. It is a hot potato market. Face it, we aren't talking about individual investors, people who can sway the market, we are talking about institutional investing.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/19/recession-is-at-the-top-of-trump-haters-wish-list/
Recession is at the top of Trump haters’ wish list

Is this another thinly disguised Trump Hate Derangement Syndrome political thread?

Last edited:
Is this another thinly disguised Trump Hate derangement syndrome political thread?

It's a thread about what this thing we keep reading about called the Inverted Yield Curve. In fact the original post details that a recession is not necessarily coming and not to panic.

Fully how the only mention of politics and Trump came in your post followed by is this a Trump thread?

It amazes me that people can't have an adult conversation about a current topic without spilling into Trump this or Trump that.

Just take it as posted and read.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Like forecasting the weather, it CAN be next to impossible to predict financial trends. I honestly don't think Mr. Trump nor any other world leader has much to do with the real movers and shakers.

Google search for "inverted yield curve trump" - Four Million One Hundred Thousand hits. I can pretend it ain't so, if it makes you feel better. Take two aspirin and call me after next November.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Well, my friend, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that finance drives politics rather than the other way around. Politics is simply a tool of the financiers.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Well, my friend, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that finance drives politics rather than the other way around. Politics is simply a tool of the financiers.

Actually, I agree with this. But, this time there are people actually talking about trying to tank the economy to prevent a Trump reelection. Selling out this country has been very profitable to some people, they don't want to stop now. Around the Internet, those people are now talking inverted yield curve.

Are the Trump haters trying to cause a recession in the US so the president won’t be re-elected?
I’m not saying they are just hoping for a recession. It’s obvious the haters would like that.
But are they trying to cause a recession?
Comedian and Trump ultra-hater Bill Maher has already spoken for his side. “We have survived many recessions. We can’t survive another Donald Trump term,” Maher is quoted as saying.

Quote from this article:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/19/recession-is-at-the-top-of-trump-haters-wish-list/

Comedian in name only. Hate is not funny.

Ask yourself this: Who exactly can't survive another Trump term? I have a pretty good chance. You?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. B. "I have a pretty good chance. You?" I've a pretty good chance myself, thank you but again, this isn't so much about politics as it is about world $$ IMO.

I could quote a plethora of conspiracy theories some of which may or may not have any substance...

200w.webp

Last edited:
Interesting article and thread before Boat made it about Trump.

One extremely important factor in economics, often overlooked, is emotion. I heard it said long ago that the biggest detriments to financial stability are Greed and Fear. The markets have reflected a lot of greed and right now we're seeing a lot of fear. No one knows what moves might take place next. The tariff war is a huge factor in that.

I had meetings with my CEO's and others on Monday and Tuesday of this week. We faced a very difficult dilemma. There's a lot of fear facing the retail and wholesale markets. Our major customers are very scared of potential rising costs and prices. Many are predicting a recession. Tons of reasons to reduce forecasts and cut back.

However, our orders don't show any of that. Are we to be the outliers? Or might a recession not occur? We felt we had no choice but to follow what we could actually see which is at the very least valid till the end of the year and to accept the forecasts we have for next year but also have a contingency plan for a recession and based on a loss of 20% of the business.

Fear is a self fulfilling prophecy. If we were convinced of a serious recession hitting soon we wouldn't expand capacity and couldn't increase business. We decided not to give into that while maintaining a watchful eye and are proceeding with expanding existing facilities and trying to acquire one or two more.

I read of a manufacturer yesterday who is cutting back over the scheduled tariffs on his parts which will dramatically increase the cost of his product. He's betting people won't buy. Well, if he cuts back they won't have it available. I read of a shoe merchant already preparing for the potential of bankruptcy based on tariffs and it struck me wondering will people really cut back on shoes. Now, furniture dealers are very fearful and for reason as there is no business more susceptible to slowdowns and to consumer fear than they are. Tariffs raise prices, consumers fear recession, and their sales will plummet. Some of the huge online furniture retailers who are not profitable anyway will be hit the hardest. We know our stores could be hurt, but to us that means work harder to figure out how to sell furniture. Fortunately, we sell very little furniture from China and subject to the tariffs.

I don't know how much the economics will come into play or how much fear will. I don't know if there will be a huge recession. I must prepare for it, but I can't bet on it. If I bet on it, I'll experience it whether it happens or not. By continuing on a normal course at least I still have the chance of success.

Similarly on investments. We're diversified. Should we remove all investment from stock? That just doesn't appeal to me any more than putting it all in stocks would have been things were heading up. I'll remain balanced and accept the swings. We have continually sold stocks as their value rose to keep a balance.

I fear a recession, but refuse to let that fear control me. It's a bit like hurricanes. I know one can hit but I don't live my entire life in fear of them. Today, I'm on a careful watch in both finances and hurricanes. I've prepared in both. I'll take further steps though, not based on fear of what may happen, but based on something really happening.

Greed. I remember walking into my first economics class when dinosaurs walked the earth, and the prof said “the number one law of economics is that all participants, all humans are greedy.”

All the rest follows. We cannot predict tomorrow’s weather with any certainty, you might as well join the Church of Climate Change.

Last edited:
I don`t think you can separate politics and economics. Look at the share/stockmarket gyrations after every trade war announcement, be it new/increased/suspended tariffs and/or talks on/off/maybe with/without threats of more tariffs. It destroys investor market confidence. In unpredictable times people are reluctant to invest,less investment leads to less activity leads to less investment.... Trade disruption can definitely lead to recession, it disturbs the normal order of things.
The yield curve inversion is more "Revelations" than "Genesis". Partly the result of earlier "unfinished business" economic events when the problems were swept under the now bulging carpet, and partly current events.
How disturbed are economics when Banks buy Govt bonds at a negative interest rate. Invest for 30 years, in Germany, and get back less money at maturity. Where is the sense in that?
FF raised the rise of dictators emerging post recession. History says true, but we already have 2 dictators slugging it out, and look where it`s going.

I don`t think you can separate politics and economics.

I don't necessarily agree with that statement - I think it is more accurate to say it is hard to separate policy and economics.

The best thing I ever did was not follow professional money managers and their "charts".

Have beat their averages for 4 decades now and as my friends say, living the dream.

The best thing I ever did was not follow professional money managers and their "charts".

Have beat their averages for 4 decades now and as my friends say, living the dream.

Relevance to the article helping to articulate the Inverted Yield Curve?

Meaning just what I said.....I usually do.

Greetings,
I always wondered why all the money managers and investment counselors weren't multi-millionaires...

200w.webp

Last edited:
Greetings,
I always wondered why all money managers and investment counselors weren't multi-millionaires...

Every time I have hear this said I think of two things:

They aren't? How do you know the net worth of the good ones? In fact any of them?

Mine is - he has ~ one billion under management. Two partners with office staff. Average 1% management fee. You do the math.

I thought this forum was about trawlers. I can get plenty of fear and loathing and politics and economics elsewhere.

You guys are bumming me out.

Has anyone recently bought a new inverter? Or perhaps they decided to yield to an oncoming sport fisher despite the colregs or maybe they plotted a curved course for a circumnavigation?

I thought this forum was about trawlers. I can get plenty of fear and loathing and politics and economics elsewhere.
You guys are bumming me out....
Airstream, it`s "Harbour Chat". Lots of people, boating fraternity included have an interest here. Many of us finance boating via investments, so economic events and indicators are important. And if there is another recession, maybe a big one, our boats will be heavily $ devalued, it`s a real consideration. Some people might decide to sell to avoid a loss,though it might be a mistake if the indicator is wrong this time. I`m considering putting out $ on a "new" boat, is that wise right now? Not sure,but it`s boat related and this discussion may help. Or hinder. True, you can get advice elsewhere, I do,but discussion with some intelligent investment minded TFers might help.

You guys are bumming me out.

Has anyone recently bought a new inverter? Or perhaps they decided to yield to an oncoming sport fisher despite the colregs or maybe they plotted a curved course for a circumnavigation?

:ermm:

Harbor Chat
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics.

:ermm:

Harbor Chat
Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics.
I just argued it was boating related. If it is,is it ineligible for "Harbor Chat"? Nah, boaters must be talking about it. A lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom