How does getting older compare to expectations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good points B. Supplements are loosely regulated, if at all, so not only are you not sure exactly what you are getting, it's left up to the consumer to decide how much they want to take and how they may interact with each other or with other meds. Like I said, I learned the hard way, but I don't expect anyone to listen to me, I wouldn't have years ago. I thought I knew better. I didn't.

Speaking of CBD, it is like the miracle cure for almost any ailment known to man. It's not cheap either. I've tried it for arthritis pain, no effect.

Last edited:
Just turned 62, a couple of weeks ago, and one thing that has been constant through my life is that folks 20 years younger than me are "young" and folks 20 years older than me are "old". :)

Dad passed 5 years ago from mesothelioma (age 82) that we suspect came from when he worked at General Dynamics/Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in the late 60's. As he knew his cancer was terminal, he assembled a giant folder for Mom that we title "When I die" that helped her take care of all of their affairs after he passed. Although I hope to live another 20+ years, I like the idea of getting ones affairs in order so that a surviving spouse is prepared.

I really am beginning to dig turning 62! :thumb: Hoping to retire in 4 - 6 months into our retirement dream home (what a long process this has been in the current environment!). We are neither wealthy, nor poor, and find that we no longer worry much about money and our comfortable in what we have. We also no longer have to worry about sending our Daughter to college as she has already been there, done that, and got the diploma! :)

Looking forward to getting my next small boat and spending the day, boating or at the beach without having to think ahead. Ditto on the ability to travel whenever we want.

Jim

The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) allows FDA to regulate dietary supplements as a special category distinct from conventional food and drug products. The statute also authorizes the agency to remove products it deems unsafe from the market. FDA, however, lacks the ability to review the safety and effectiveness of dietary supplements before consumers can buy these products.

Jim

I turned 75 last November and up until I was 73 I was in pretty good shape. Good strength, good endurance, essentially unstoppable. Then I was diagnosed with Stage 4 prostate cancer that had metastasized throughout my body.

That slowed me down a bit but caused balance problems which made using the boat difficult. We decided to sell it so I enlisted ASD and another friend to help me cruise it to Seattle to the broker who was going to sell it for me. That was the trip of a lifetime and a great sendoff to a boat I had loved for 10 years; a boat beyond all my dreams of anything I would own.

So here I am, with a bit of a fading memory, limited strength and endurance and those make me think more about how I'm going to do some of the heavy lifting.

My attitude is GREAT. I wake up every morning with a smile on my face and start my day walking our Labrador Retriever along the river. He's an old fart too so we're well suited for each other. His pace and endurance is about the same as mine so our walks are a joy for both of us.

I have many things on my bucket list and I'm going to work damn hard to make them happen. First of all is to live to age 90 or beyond. Without a boat to cruise on we're going to be taking some long distance (time wise) trips around this beautiful country.

I can't believe how lucky I am to feel this darn good and have cancer. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll make it to 90.

I'm 75. As I aged I was surprised at the speed of the reduction in energy and the increase in pain on doing some repairs. Repairs I once did with joy. Brain still works OK, never did have a great memory. It is not getting better.

I boat extensively, 4 months or more each year. I'm hoping to continue this for another decade? What I find is each year I hire more work to be done on the vessel. Work I used to do myself and too often did better than those I can hire. I once felt a bit guilty spending money on things I could do myself (if I wanted to suffer the pain). I now take my son's advice - "Spend your money and enjoy life, you've earned it."

As the saying goes - I ack in the areas I used to play.

The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) allows FDA to regulate dietary supplements as a special category distinct from conventional food and drug products. The statute also authorizes the agency to remove products it deems unsafe from the market. FDA, however, lacks the ability to review the safety and effectiveness of dietary supplements before consumers can buy these products.

Jim

And they do remove items they find with elements contrary to safety. Actually, the most removed items are men's supplements which are found to have some portion of prescription medications in them. For instance a men's drug to give them a boost, which has a bit of sildenafil or tadalafil tossed in.

Absolutely!

Any supplements containing drug products (active pharmaceutical ingredients) would be considered by the FDA to be unapproved drug products and/or misbranded products and not a supplement, even if the company labels it as a supplement and not a drug product. This could include sexual performance supplements containing sildenafil, weight loss supplements containing sibutramine, and muscle-building supplements containing synthetic steroids.

Jim

Absolutely!

Any supplements containing drug products (active pharmaceutical ingredients) would be considered by the FDA to be unapproved drug products and/or misbranded products and not a supplement, even if the company labels it as a supplement and not a drug product. This could include sexual performance supplements containing sildenafil, weight loss supplements containing sibutramine, and muscle-building supplements containing synthetic steroids.

Jim

But regularly they try to sneak them through. Just look at the number of manufacturers caught and then toss in all the athletes who fail drug tests due to steroids or testosterone in their supplements.

A really interesting thread, I identified with some (many) of the replies. I have one quote from my accountant when I was asking him what to do with some surplus money I had come into. The reply from Brian (my accountant) was:

"Gilbert spend it and enjoy it, there's no point in being the richest man in the graveyard."

I now have two boats (one for messing around in the Solent and one for crossing the English Channel) and get the yard to do the maintenance I can't physically manage any more or that aren't fun. I don't feel bad about not doing it myself as I used to.

I now have two boats (one for messing around in the Solent and one for crossing the English Channel) and get the yard to do the maintenance I can't physically manage any more or that aren't fun. I don't feel bad about not doing it myself as I used to.

You hit something major there that is important in all aging. Psychologists use the term "radical acceptance." I'll just simply state is as adapting to the changes. One shouldn't apologize for that they can't do or that they choose not to do. I recall one TF member, who when new made himself miserable over all that needed to be done and once he turned it over to others became the happiest boater around. Some people enjoy working on a boat. I don't. If I was going to work, then I'd do it in my profession and come out far ahead. To me, the greatest aspect of retirement is the freedom to do whatever you want, which also means, to not do anything you don't want to.

I've had to train and insist that a couple we're very close to learn to manage and delegate rather than do and thankfully, over the last 5 years or so they've had an amazing transformation. They've taken a job they loved but eventually would be too much for them and turned it into jobs they can do as long as they choose and want.

As that great American Philosopher, Toby Keith says, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
Aha, now I know the origin of the aging hooker`s "I was good once but I`m still good once".

I keep reading where people are saying "I'm not taking any drugs" and then listing all the supplements. So, let's correct that. You are taking drugs, just not prescription medications but they're still medications and like all medications they have their pluses and their possible side effects and negatives. Just don't forget that they are fully drugs. Some of your prescription medications wouldn't require prescriptions in other countries. Would that then mean you weren't taking drugs?

While the supplements may be considered less dangerous, also keep in mind, they are not produced under the same oversight either. The current rage is CBD and a lot of purchasers of CBD finding out the hard way that what they're buying contains a little THC. Not enough to be dangerous but enough to fail a work drug test and field tests administered by LEO's.

Okay, Lets us take a look at a prescription drug and the supplement I take that does the same thing, then tell me which YOU would rather take.

Flowmax vs Prostrate Plus Health Complex

If you have the time, read what the FDA says about Flowmax and a reputable website DRAXE.com has to say about the ingredients in the supplement.

Flomax® (tamsulosin hydrochloride) Capsules, 0.4 mg

Each FLOMAX® (tamsulosin HCl) capsule for oral administration contains tamsulosin HCl 0.4 mg, and the following inactive ingredients: methacrylic acid copolymer, microcrystalline cellulose, triacetin, polysorbate 80, sodium lauryl sulfate, calcium stearate, talc, FD&C blue No. 2, titanium dioxide, ferric oxide, gelatin, and trace amounts of shellac, industrial methylated spirit 74 OP, n-butyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, dimethylpolysiloxane, and black iron oxide E172.

WARNINGS The signs and symptoms of orthostasis (postural hypotension, dizziness and vertigo) were detected more frequently in FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsule treated patients than in placebo recipients. As with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents there is a potential risk of syncope (see ADVERSE REACTIONS). Patients beginning treatment with FLOMAX capsules should be cautioned to avoid situations where injury could result should syncope occur
PRECAUTIONS General 1. Carcinoma of the prostate: Carcinoma of the prostate and BPH cause many of the same symptoms. These two diseases frequently co-exist. Patients should be evaluated prior to the start of FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl ) capsules therapy to rule out the presence of carcinoma of the prostate. 2. Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome: Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) has been observed during cataract surgery in some patients treated with alpha-1 blockers. Most reports were in patients taking the alpha-1 blocker when IFIS occurred, but in some cases, the alpha-1 blocker had been stopped prior to surgery. In most of these cases, the alpha-1-blocker had been stopped recently prior to surgery (2 to 14 days), but in a few cases, IFIS was reported after the patient had been off the alpha-1 blocker for a longer period (5 weeks to 9 months). IFIS is a variant of small pupil syndrome and is characterized by the combination of a flaccid iris that billows in response to intraoperative irrigation currents, progressive intraoperative miosis despite preoperative dilation with standard mydriatic drugs and potential prolapse of the iris toward the phacoemulsification incisions. The patient's ophthalmologist should be prepared for possible modifications to their surgical technique, such as the utilization Page 11 of 20 of iris hooks, iris dilator rings, or viscoelastic substances. The benefit of stopping alpha-1 blocker therapy prior to cataract surgery has not been established. 3. Sulfa Allergy: In patients with sulfa allergy, allergic reaction to FLOMAX has been rarely reported. If a patient reports a serious or life threatening sulfa allergy, caution is warranted when administering FLOMAX. 4. Drug-Drug Interactions: The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interactions between FLOMAX capsules and other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents have not been determined. However, interactions may be expected and FLOMAX capsules should NOT be used in combination with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents. The pharmacokinetic interaction between cimetidine and FLOMAX capsules was investigated. The results indicate significant changes in tamsulosin HCl clearance (26% decrease) and AUC (44% increase). Therefore, FLOMAX capsules should be used with caution in combination with cimetidine, particularly at doses higher than 0.4 mg. Results from limited in vitro and in vivo drug-drug interaction studies between tamsulosin HCl and warfarin are inconclusive. Therefore, caution should be exercised with concomitant administration of warfarin and FLOMAX capsules.
Patients should be told about the possible occurrence of symptoms related to postural hypotension such as dizziness when taking FLOMAX capsules, and they should be cautioned about driving, operating machinery or performing hazardous tasks. Patients should be advised not to crush, chew or open the FLOMAX capsules. Patients should be advised about the possibility of priapism as a result of treatment with FLOMAX capsules and other similar medications. Patients should be informed that this reaction is extremely rare, but if not brought to immediate medical attention, can lead to permanent erectile dysfunction (impotence). Laboratory Tests No laboratory test interactions with FLOMAX capsules are known. Treatment with FLOMAX capsules for up to 12 months had no significant effect on prostate-specific antigen (PSA).
ADVERSE REACTIONS The incidence of treatment-emergent adverse events has been ascertained from six short-term U.S. and European placebo-controlled clinical trials in which daily doses of 0.1 to 0.8 mg FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsules were used. These studies evaluated safety in 1783 patients treated with FLOMAX capsules and 798 patients administered placebo. Table 3 summarizes the treatment-emergent adverse events that occurred in ≥2% of patients receiving either FLOMAX capsules 0.4 mg, or 0.8 mg and at an incidence numerically higher than that in the placebo group during two 13-week U.S. trials (US92-03A and US93-01) conducted in 1487 men.
OVERDOSAGE Should overdosage of FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsules lead to hypotension (see WARNINGS and ADVERSE REACTIONS), support of the cardiovascular system is of first importance. Restoration of blood pressure and normalization of heart rate may be accomplished by keeping the patient in the supine position. If this measure is inadequate, then administration of intravenous fluids should be considered. If necessary, vasopressors should then be used and renal function should be monitored and supported as needed. Laboratory data indicate that tamsulosin HCl is 94% to 99% protein bound; therefore, dialysis is unlikely to be of benefit. One patient reported an overdose of thirty 0.4 mg FLOMAX capsules. Following the ingestion of the capsules, the patient reported a severe headache.

Prostate Plus Health Complex
From Dr. Axe > Nutrition > Fats & Oils
Fact Checked

Ingredients:
Pumpkin Seed Oil 320mg

Pumpkin seed oil, also called pepita oil, is the oil extracted from the seeds of a pumpkin. There are two main types of pumpkins from which the oil is obtained, both of the Cucurbita plant genus. One is Cucurbita pepo, and the other is Cucurbita maxima
Packed with tryptophan, unsaturated fatty acids and a high level of antioxidative substances, this silent champion provides a long list of benefits to both men and women. When the oil from these little seeds is extracted just right (not refined), the possibilities are virtually endless!

Thanks to its high content of carotenoids and liposoluble vitamins, pumpkin seed oil has long been considered an ingredient appropriate for illness prevention, especially for prostate diseases. In addition to that well-known use, research has shown benefits for people struggling with hair loss, diabetes and even cancer.

Palmitric Acid 32mg

Palmitic acid is defined as “a common saturated fatty acid found in fats and waxes including olive oil, palm oil, and body lipids.” PA also goes by a number of other names, including 1-hexyldecanoic acid, hexadecanoate and palmitate
Risks and Side Effects
Is palmitic acid harmful? It seems to be very safe and is unlikely to cause side effects in most people.
Overall, evidence suggests that it may be harmful to consume internally in high amounts, especially when taken alone in supplement form. A safer option seems to be consuming it from food sources, such as palm oil and coconut oil.

Stearic acid 9.6mg
Is stearic acid a natural ingredient?
Yes, which is why it’s found in many natural skin care/beauty products in place of chemical ingredients.
Is stearic acid safe?
The U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers stearic acid safe for both consumption as a food additive and for topical use in skin care products in limited quantities.

Oleic Acid 57.6mg
Uses and Benefits
1. Reduces Blood Pressure
2. Lowers Cholesterol
3. Promotes Fat Burning
4. Helps Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
5. Promotes Brain Function
6. May Help Prevent Ulcerative Colitis
7. Fights Infections
8. Promotes Skin Repair
9. Helps Fight Cancer

Oleic acid is needed by the body’s cells for proper membrane fluidity — making sure the cell membrane has a thick enough layer. This is important for fighting pathogens, transporting minerals and responding to hormones. Oleic acid also serves as a major source of energy for our cells, and it’s used for the production and biosynthesis of many essential metabolites. (2)
Risks and Side Effects
Remember that oleic acid is not considered an “essential” fatty acid, like omega-3s and omega-6s, because it can be made by our bodies. So for most people, there’s no need to deliberately consume excessive oleic acid foods and oils.

Linoleic Acid 128 mg

What Is Linoleic Acid?
Linoleic Acid Helps Improve Brain, Heart, Skin, Bone & Reproductive Health

Linoleic acid is a polyunsaturated essential fatty acid that is found mostly in plant oils. It’s known as the parent fatty acid of the omega-6 series, and it is essential for human nutrition because it cannot be synthesized by the human body.

Okay, Lets us take a look at a prescription drug and the supplement I take that does the same thing, then tell me which YOU would rather take.

Flowmax vs Prostrate Plus Health Complex

If you have the time, read what the FDA says about Flowmax and a reputable website DRAXE.com has to say about the ingredients in the supplement.

Flomax® (tamsulosin hydrochloride) Capsules, 0.4 mg

Each FLOMAX® (tamsulosin HCl) capsule for oral administration contains tamsulosin HCl 0.4 mg, and the following inactive ingredients: methacrylic acid copolymer, microcrystalline cellulose, triacetin, polysorbate 80, sodium lauryl sulfate, calcium stearate, talc, FD&C blue No. 2, titanium dioxide, ferric oxide, gelatin, and trace amounts of shellac, industrial methylated spirit 74 OP, n-butyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, dimethylpolysiloxane, and black iron oxide E172.

WARNINGS The signs and symptoms of orthostasis (postural hypotension, dizziness and vertigo) were detected more frequently in FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsule treated patients than in placebo recipients. As with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents there is a potential risk of syncope (see ADVERSE REACTIONS). Patients beginning treatment with FLOMAX capsules should be cautioned to avoid situations where injury could result should syncope occur
PRECAUTIONS General 1. Carcinoma of the prostate: Carcinoma of the prostate and BPH cause many of the same symptoms. These two diseases frequently co-exist. Patients should be evaluated prior to the start of FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl ) capsules therapy to rule out the presence of carcinoma of the prostate. 2. Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome: Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) has been observed during cataract surgery in some patients treated with alpha-1 blockers. Most reports were in patients taking the alpha-1 blocker when IFIS occurred, but in some cases, the alpha-1 blocker had been stopped prior to surgery. In most of these cases, the alpha-1-blocker had been stopped recently prior to surgery (2 to 14 days), but in a few cases, IFIS was reported after the patient had been off the alpha-1 blocker for a longer period (5 weeks to 9 months). IFIS is a variant of small pupil syndrome and is characterized by the combination of a flaccid iris that billows in response to intraoperative irrigation currents, progressive intraoperative miosis despite preoperative dilation with standard mydriatic drugs and potential prolapse of the iris toward the phacoemulsification incisions. The patient's ophthalmologist should be prepared for possible modifications to their surgical technique, such as the utilization Page 11 of 20 of iris hooks, iris dilator rings, or viscoelastic substances. The benefit of stopping alpha-1 blocker therapy prior to cataract surgery has not been established. 3. Sulfa Allergy: In patients with sulfa allergy, allergic reaction to FLOMAX has been rarely reported. If a patient reports a serious or life threatening sulfa allergy, caution is warranted when administering FLOMAX. 4. Drug-Drug Interactions: The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interactions between FLOMAX capsules and other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents have not been determined. However, interactions may be expected and FLOMAX capsules should NOT be used in combination with other alpha-adrenergic blocking agents. The pharmacokinetic interaction between cimetidine and FLOMAX capsules was investigated. The results indicate significant changes in tamsulosin HCl clearance (26% decrease) and AUC (44% increase). Therefore, FLOMAX capsules should be used with caution in combination with cimetidine, particularly at doses higher than 0.4 mg. Results from limited in vitro and in vivo drug-drug interaction studies between tamsulosin HCl and warfarin are inconclusive. Therefore, caution should be exercised with concomitant administration of warfarin and FLOMAX capsules.
Patients should be told about the possible occurrence of symptoms related to postural hypotension such as dizziness when taking FLOMAX capsules, and they should be cautioned about driving, operating machinery or performing hazardous tasks. Patients should be advised not to crush, chew or open the FLOMAX capsules. Patients should be advised about the possibility of priapism as a result of treatment with FLOMAX capsules and other similar medications. Patients should be informed that this reaction is extremely rare, but if not brought to immediate medical attention, can lead to permanent erectile dysfunction (impotence). Laboratory Tests No laboratory test interactions with FLOMAX capsules are known. Treatment with FLOMAX capsules for up to 12 months had no significant effect on prostate-specific antigen (PSA).
ADVERSE REACTIONS The incidence of treatment-emergent adverse events has been ascertained from six short-term U.S. and European placebo-controlled clinical trials in which daily doses of 0.1 to 0.8 mg FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsules were used. These studies evaluated safety in 1783 patients treated with FLOMAX capsules and 798 patients administered placebo. Table 3 summarizes the treatment-emergent adverse events that occurred in ≥2% of patients receiving either FLOMAX capsules 0.4 mg, or 0.8 mg and at an incidence numerically higher than that in the placebo group during two 13-week U.S. trials (US92-03A and US93-01) conducted in 1487 men.
OVERDOSAGE Should overdosage of FLOMAX (tamsulosin HCl) capsules lead to hypotension (see WARNINGS and ADVERSE REACTIONS), support of the cardiovascular system is of first importance. Restoration of blood pressure and normalization of heart rate may be accomplished by keeping the patient in the supine position. If this measure is inadequate, then administration of intravenous fluids should be considered. If necessary, vasopressors should then be used and renal function should be monitored and supported as needed. Laboratory data indicate that tamsulosin HCl is 94% to 99% protein bound; therefore, dialysis is unlikely to be of benefit. One patient reported an overdose of thirty 0.4 mg FLOMAX capsules. Following the ingestion of the capsules, the patient reported a severe headache.

Prostate Plus Health Complex
From Dr. Axe > Nutrition > Fats & Oils
Fact Checked

Ingredients:
Pumpkin Seed Oil 320mg

Pumpkin seed oil, also called pepita oil, is the oil extracted from the seeds of a pumpkin. There are two main types of pumpkins from which the oil is obtained, both of the Cucurbita plant genus. One is Cucurbita pepo, and the other is Cucurbita maxima
Packed with tryptophan, unsaturated fatty acids and a high level of antioxidative substances, this silent champion provides a long list of benefits to both men and women. When the oil from these little seeds is extracted just right (not refined), the possibilities are virtually endless!

Thanks to its high content of carotenoids and liposoluble vitamins, pumpkin seed oil has long been considered an ingredient appropriate for illness prevention, especially for prostate diseases. In addition to that well-known use, research has shown benefits for people struggling with hair loss, diabetes and even cancer.

Palmitric Acid 32mg

Palmitic acid is defined as “a common saturated fatty acid found in fats and waxes including olive oil, palm oil, and body lipids.” PA also goes by a number of other names, including 1-hexyldecanoic acid, hexadecanoate and palmitate
Risks and Side Effects
Is palmitic acid harmful? It seems to be very safe and is unlikely to cause side effects in most people.
Overall, evidence suggests that it may be harmful to consume internally in high amounts, especially when taken alone in supplement form. A safer option seems to be consuming it from food sources, such as palm oil and coconut oil.

Stearic acid 9.6mg
Is stearic acid a natural ingredient?
Yes, which is why it’s found in many natural skin care/beauty products in place of chemical ingredients.
Is stearic acid safe?
The U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers stearic acid safe for both consumption as a food additive and for topical use in skin care products in limited quantities.

Oleic Acid 57.6mg
Uses and Benefits
1. Reduces Blood Pressure
2. Lowers Cholesterol
3. Promotes Fat Burning
4. Helps Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
5. Promotes Brain Function
6. May Help Prevent Ulcerative Colitis
7. Fights Infections
8. Promotes Skin Repair
9. Helps Fight Cancer

Oleic acid is needed by the body’s cells for proper membrane fluidity — making sure the cell membrane has a thick enough layer. This is important for fighting pathogens, transporting minerals and responding to hormones. Oleic acid also serves as a major source of energy for our cells, and it’s used for the production and biosynthesis of many essential metabolites. (2)
Risks and Side Effects
Remember that oleic acid is not considered an “essential” fatty acid, like omega-3s and omega-6s, because it can be made by our bodies. So for most people, there’s no need to deliberately consume excessive oleic acid foods and oils.

Linoleic Acid 128 mg

What Is Linoleic Acid?
Linoleic Acid Helps Improve Brain, Heart, Skin, Bone & Reproductive Health

Linoleic acid is a polyunsaturated essential fatty acid that is found mostly in plant oils. It’s known as the parent fatty acid of the omega-6 series, and it is essential for human nutrition because it cannot be synthesized by the human body.

I don't argue against supplements, just against treating supplements as not being drugs. I think the claims you show for the supplements are ad material and greatly exaggerated. However, I also believe we're too quick to jump on prescription medications with serious potential side effects. Taking one for a few months is one thing, but for decades very different. Anytime there is a less risky alternative, it may be worth trying, with doctor's knowledge and approval. And if your doctor is against all supplements, likely time to get a more open doctor. Get one who has a balanced view. People have been killed by over zealous prescribers, but people have similarly died as a result of misleading promotion of supplements and choosing one of questionable value instead of taking a proven prescription medication. Fact is, you're taking 5 drugs plus any other ingredients they have. Each has possible side effects and each has contraindications with other meds. All needs managing.

For every drug you list, I can point you to arguments for and warnings against regarding them and potential benefits and risks and side effects. Also many are considered safe in some quantities but not in larger quantities. Just don't rely on Dr. Ax or on the manufacturers publicity as your only source for information. And, please, make any doctor you see aware of them all.

Aging.
Some of the posts have awakened me to the new reality.
I came to realize that I have slowed down, no longer as quick about doing stuff. Heck even three years ago when this boat was purchased my body contorted around the ER like a python. The mind continues to imagine how it was before, there is a slow learning curve. Again, that awareness was lighting fast as I recall in the past.
My expectations of forever being able to perform as always is under attack. Now I find planning takes more time. Suddenly and without warning, I have become an old fart.

CaptMike's post is a good example of the problems with self-treating medical issues with "natural" alternatives. Firstly, Dr Axe is not a medical doctor and his website sells suplements and he writes books on the subject, so information on his website, like any others selling these products will be biased. Most people taking vitamins and supplements are not doing so because their doctor recommended them, but beacuse they heard or read somewhere how these miracle substances can cure any disease and they make a decision to try them. Most are harmless and a waste of money. (hence the saying "Americans have the most expensive urine on the planet") Some can be dangerous and/or toxic. Ever here of DHEA? Look at any website that is selling it and you'd be crazy not to try it. What they don't tell you is that is a hormone and can increase your risk of breast or prostate cancer. I'll leave it there because I know I am not changing anyone who has convinced themselves that supplements and natural remedies are better than prescription medicines. I'm not saying that they have no benefit and can't help your overall health, but most people are self-treating and not discussing with their physician.

Because of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), FDA has little regulatory authority over dietary supplements. Dietary supplement manufacturers often make whatever claims they want for the supplements and there is no review or approval of these claims by the FDA.

FDA also has little regulatory authority over the manufacturing of dietary supplements. The United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) has a voluntary testing and auditing program that helps dietary supplement manufacturers ensure the production of quality products for consumers. Manufactures pay the USP for this service. Personally, if I were to take any supplements, I would look for a product that partakes in the USP Dietary Supplement Verification Program. The USP allows participating firms to put a USP Verified Mark on a dietary supplement label.

Jim

Lots of natural things can kill you.....
Eg, hemlock is naturally occurring.
A vast local pharmacy chain has massive shelves of vitamin products. Do people consuming a reasonable diet need them? Doubt it. They even push rehydration products as an everyday way to take in fluids, on a daily basis,not involving unusual fluid loss by say, exertion(Rafael Nadal recently lost 4kg in fluids during a 5 set tennis match, he could use rehydration). It`s sales BS.
On a long multi day cycle ride a Dr. participant introduced me to simple rehydration, 1/3 lemonade/Sprite and 2/3 water. It works.

According to an orthopaedic consultant I saw,glucosamine for joints is,at best, a placebo. My knees are living proof it`s useless.

Well, we have strayed into vitamin supplements vs big pharma drugs. I'll share a couple of things since it might help someone.

About a decade ago I became extremely lactose intolerant. For those who are unfamiliar, you can't handle any milk, cream or cheese. For me it was extreme. Trace amounts by accident, and within an hour my digestive track would empty. Then empty more. And more. And then spend 2-3 days recovering.

My doc said nothing to be done about it. Take over the counter Lactaid before you eat. It kinda worked and kinda didn't, only making it less severe. I didn't leave the house with some of it my pocket. For some years.

Google searches on the problem yielded zero assistance. My doc had said there's nothing to be done.

Then one day I saw a random comment that if deficient in Folic Acid (a B vitamin) one is often lactose intolerant. That day I bought some. I kept it up for a few weeks and then tested it at home. No issues with some cheese. I gave it more time and pushed it harder in a test. Bottom line is it made about an 80% improvement and I was elated.

Then after maybe 6 months I saw where those were deficient in Folic were very often deficient in B6 and B12. I bought some of both. Started them one at a time. I don't recall which one, but I took one tablet and it gave me a really big buzz. After that nothing, but my takeaway was I was deficient and it really kicked in. The combo of the 3 brought me back to 100%. Zero issues, unless I miss more than one day of it.

I mentioned this to another doc. His response was of course! That makes perfect sense. As you age the spot in your gut that processes B vitamins gets worn out. Flooding the system with B helps it get through. And then waxed on about how country docs used to give out B12 shots as a pick me up, because of this.

With covid so rampant, I've been a heavy user of D, zinc, and C. Lots of folks around me have had covid. Not me. Coincidence? Sure, maybe.

Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar is a current semi-rage. I have tried it. All I can say is a constant battle to keep weight down is solved. I am losing weight with ease.

Another is to drink a dose of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and honey daily. Small but growing issues with joint stiffness and pain are gone.

I am not dismissive of pharma drugs. Penicillin saved my life as a youngster. Literally. But I have also learned to not be dismissive of supplements either. In my personal experience both have their place.

I say that every year, when I have a boat project I do it now, because next year I will be older and it will be harder. I am 68.?

The best thing about gettong older is getting wiser and why I read less and post less here.

Like watching the news....5 minutes and I can see why the US is at war constantly both abroad and internally. Overseas comments often no better.

Pretty much my last week here so good luck taking each others advice beyond about 5% of most threads withour lots more investigation.

Last edited:
A good book on the aging process is "Lifespan: Why We Age-and Why We Don't Have To" by David Sinclair. A lot of research and testing in it. There are some very efficient bottom line things you can take from that book. I have been using his advice, and feel much better today than I did two years ago.

A good book on the aging process is "Lifespan: Why We Age-and Why We Don't Have To" by David Sinclair. A lot of research and testing in it. There are some very efficient bottom line things you can take from that book. I have been using his advice, and feel much better today than I did two years ago.

Any examples you can share?

The best thing about gettong older is getting wiser and why I read less and post less here.

Like watching the news....5 minutes and I can see why the US is at war constantly both abroad and internally. Overseas comments often no better.

Pretty much my last week here so good luck taking each others advice beyond about 5% of most threads withour lots more investigation.
Thanks?

Yes thanks psneeld

Any examples you can share?

Exercise and diet first.

Also, aging is cell break down. His research shows that the cells in rats show more inflammation as they age with less repair going on. That is due to a less effective generation of surtuins which is the repair mechanism in cells. When he added NMN's (a building block for surtuins) to the rats diet, they began moving like young rats. One, which was in old age, broke the exercise equipment it was put on.

https://www.nmn.com/what-is-nmn

After years of intense study, David takes a gram a day. His father also started taking it in his mid-sixties when he was in failing health. He is now living a much more productive life in his seventies.

The book is well laid out and his findings are endorsed by many in the medical profession.

This is one of those things where your own research is key. But, I believe his research is accurate, and so far, I haven't grown a third ear. :) I do feel much more energetic than I did even six months ago.

Exercise and diet first.

Also, aging is cell break down. His research shows that the cells in rats show more inflammation as they age with less repair going on. That is due to a less effective generation of surtuins which is the repair mechanism in cells. When he added NMN's (a building block for surtuins) to the rats diet, they began moving like young rats. One, which was in old age, broke the exercise equipment it was put on.

https://www.nmn.com/what-is-nmn

After years of intense study, David takes a gram a day. His father also started taking it in his mid-sixties when he was in failing health. He is now living a much more productive life in his seventies.

The book is well laid out and his findings are endorsed by many in the medical profession.

This is one of those things where your own research is key. But, I believe his research is accurate, and so far, I haven't grown a third ear. :) I do feel much more energetic than I did even six months ago.

Thanks for the info. I did a couple minutes research and will look into it more. Shows promise like many anti-aging supplements (etc.) do, with no real proof in human studies. In theory it makes sense (as do other things) that it decreases as we age, so you can make the leap that the opposite is also true, increasing NMM will slow aging. I mention it because you can read the same things about DHEA and other supplements. I used to take it as an older athlete and convinced myself that it helped. Maybe it did, who knows. It is a banned performance enhancing substance for professional athletes, but available in any supermarket or drugstore as a supplement. There is also some evidence that it can increase PSA levels in your blood and increase your chances of getting prostate and other cancer. After several years, I stopped taking it when my PSA started rising and my eventual diagnosis of prostate cancer. Coincidence or cause? Nodoby knows. But it's an example of how to proceed with caution. We all are eager to believe we've found the fountain of youth and assume if you can buy it off the shelf it must not be harmful. That is not always the case. Also it looks at first glance that NMM is not a cheap substance to use daily. Of course if it works, it's well worth it, if not, it's a waste of money best case, or harmful worst case. When I researched DHEA, I remember a quote from one researcher or doctor or whatever, who said "I can't afford to wait 40 years for studies to prove that this works". I bought into it trying it for the same reasons. I'll never know if it really helped or hurt me. Felt good at the time, not so much now.

Maybe a third ear would help me hear better!! lol

Thanks for the info. I did a couple minutes research and will look into it more. Shows promise like many anti-aging supplements (etc.) do, with no real proof in human studies. In theory it makes sense (as do other things) that it decreases as we age, so you can make the leap that the opposite is also true, increasing NMM will slow aging. I mention it because you can read the same things about DHEA and other supplements. I used to take it as an older athlete and convinced myself that it helped. Maybe it did, who knows. It is a banned performance enhancing substance for professional athletes, but available in any supermarket or drugstore as a supplement. There is also some evidence that it can increase PSA levels in your blood and increase your chances of getting prostate and other cancer. After several years, I stopped taking it when my PSA started rising and my eventual diagnosis of prostate cancer. Coincidence or cause? Nodoby knows. But it's an example of how to proceed with caution. We all are eager to believe we've found the fountain of youth and assume if you can buy it off the shelf it must not be harmful. That is not always the case. Also it looks at first glance that NMM is not a cheap substance to use daily. Of course if it works, it's well worth it, if not, it's a waste of money best case, or harmful worst case. When I researched DHEA, I remember a quote from one researcher or doctor or whatever, who said "I can't afford to wait 40 years for studies to prove that this works". I bought into it trying it for the same reasons. I'll never know if it really helped or hurt me. Felt good at the time, not so much now.

You are right about not knowing. NMN and the way the delivery to takes place plays a role too. We have a guy here in the hood who studies this stuff relentlessly. He uses the powder form under his tongue. He also pushes fasting occasionally. It helps the fat deposits in the liver.

"... how things are at our current age vs. how we thought it would be at that age... hit on both the physical and emotional aspects."

I was just discussing this with my brother a few days ago. The discussion popped up because my friend is still lying in an induced coma after running her Indian into a 200lb hog at 70 mph.

I suppose the biggest difference is the activities that I still engage in versus when I was younger. Even though I'm in excellent health with cardio and lifting, it's more of a conscious decision to cut back versus old age or physical limitations.

I no longer ride dirt or street bikes, fly light planes or cave dive. My scuba nowadays is very conservative and I'm proud to say that I'm a recreational diver, not a technical diver. My only real hobby is boating. But I'm still planning on taking my trawler to Antarctica one day, so haven't given up on life yet.

Just have to adapt and modify your risk tolerance as you get older.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom