Good bye WhatsApp !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahoo 1

WhatsApp new update will force users to agree to new privacy rules in 2021 or else "lose access to app".

WhatsApp has officially updated its terms of service and privacy policy and given users till February 8, 2021 to accept the same to continue using the messaging platform. For those who do not accept the new terms, there is the option to delete their accounts, which is a standard practice in the industry.

The new “Terms and Privacy Policy Updates” relate to how the world’s most popular messaging app processes user data. “By tapping Agree, you accept the new terms, which take effect on February 8, 2021,” the update states. “After this date, you’ll need to accept the new terms to continue using WhatsApp or you can always delete your account."

The new privacy policy goes into a lot more detail on how WhatsApp shares information with Facebook, which was not there in the earlier version, at least in this new expanded form.

So what are the key changes in the new privacy policy and terms of service for WhatsApp ?
According to the message, the new updates include more information about WhatsApp’s service and how it processes user data. Further, there are updates on how businesses use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats. The new privacy policy also looks at how WhatsApp partners with Facebook to offer integrations across the Facebook Company.

The new privacy policy goes into a lot more detail on how WhatsApp shares information with Facebook, which was not there in the earlier version, at least in this new expanded form.
Regarding third-party service providers, WhatsApp’s privacy policy now mentions “other Facebook Companies” and how they work with them to support “services, such as to provide technical infrastructure, delivery and other systems; market our Services; conduct surveys and research for us; protect the safety, security and integrity of users and others; and assist with customer service.”
WhatsApp makes it clear that it is sharing information with “third-party service providers and other Facebook Companies in this capacity…”

It also expands on using third-party services integrated inside WhatsApp, and once again other Facebook products find a mention. The earlier policy just mentioned iCloud or Google Drive, which are commonly used by many to backup and save their messages.

The new part in this section mentions that when users rely on “a third-party service or another Facebook Company Product linked through our Services, such as when you use the in-app player to play content from a third-party platform,” some information about them is shared with Facebook or the third-party service. This includes IP address, the fact that one is a WhatsApp user, according to the new policy.

The privacy policy had earlier mentioned that WhatsApp would receive information from the Facebook Group of companies, and that they would also share information with them, though it had noted, “your WhatsApp messages will not be shared onto Facebook for others to see. In fact, Facebook will not use your WhatsApp messages for any purpose other than to assist us in operating and providing our Services.” This particular bit is no longer in the privacy policy.

WhatsApp does elaborate on how the information exchange with Facebook will be utilised. This includes:
- Helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems,
- Understanding how WhatsApp’s Services or theirs (Facebook and other Facebook companies) are used;
- Promoting safety, security and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., securing systems and fighting spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities;
- Improving Facebook’s services and users experiences around them, such as making suggestions for users (for example, of friends or group connections, or of interesting content), personalizing features and content, helping users complete purchases and transactions, and showing relevant offers and ads across the Facebook Company Products;
- Providing integration which enable users to connect their WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products. One example given is allowing users to connect their Facebook Pay account to pay for things on WhatsApp or enabling users to chat with with friends on other Facebook Company Products, such as Portal, by connecting the WhatsApp account.

WhatsApp has expanded on what happens when you delete your account, adding that deleting an account will not automatically result in all information being deleted and some of it might be stored for a longer time. It further adds, “Please remember that when you delete your account, it does not affect your information related to the groups you created or the information other users have relating to you, such as their copy of the messages you sent them.”

The new privacy policy also expands on global operations and data transfer, including how some information is shared “internally within the Facebook Companies and externally with our partners and service providers, and with those with whom you communicate around the world, in accordance with this Privacy Policy.” This was not mentioned in the earlier privacy policy’s section on Global Operations. WhatsApp also makes it clear that it uses Facebook’s global infrastructure and data centers for storing data.

Well, the new policy makes it clear that the company will collect an extra ton of telemetry data from your device. Accordingly, I for certain will delete WhatsApp from my devices.

If you are someone who wants to move on to a more personal or secure messaging app, you should look at WhatsApp alternative apps that focus on both privacy and features :

- Telegram Messenger, with ability to share files of up to 1.5 GB, pass code lock, self-destructing messages and end-to-end encryption in secret chat among other things.

- Signal Private Messenger (my favorite), from the Signal Foundation, the organization that powers the end-to-end encryption technology in WhatsApp Messenger and Facebook Messenger, offers its very own messaging app dubbed Signal Private Messenger. As you’d expect, Signal brings a number of security benefits when compared to WhatsApp. It offers self-destructing messages, screen security (prevents anyone from taking screenshots), and more.
Plus, Signal brings encryption to its backups, calls, group calls, and every other data in the app. Even the files that you send using Signal are protected. Furthermore, according to Apple’s App Store listing, Signal doesn’t link any data to your identity.

WhatsApp new update will force users to agree to new privacy rules in 2021 or else "lose access to app".

WhatsApp has officially updated its terms of service and privacy policy and given users till February 8, 2021 to accept the same to continue using the messaging platform. For those who do not accept the new terms, there is the option to delete their accounts, which is a standard practice in the industry.

The new “Terms and Privacy Policy Updates” relate to how the world’s most popular messaging app processes user data. “By tapping Agree, you accept the new terms, which take effect on February 8, 2021,” the update states. “After this date, you’ll need to accept the new terms to continue using WhatsApp or you can always delete your account."

So what are the key changes in the new privacy policy and terms of service for WhatsApp ?
According to the message, the new updates include more information about WhatsApp’s service and how it processes user data. Further, there are updates on how businesses use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats. The new privacy policy also looks at how WhatsApp partners with Facebook to offer integrations across the Facebook Company.

Regarding third-party service providers, WhatsApp’s privacy policy now mentions “other Facebook Companies” and how they work with them to support “services, such as to provide technical infrastructure, delivery and other systems; market our Services; conduct surveys and research for us; protect the safety, security and integrity of users and others; and assist with customer service.”
WhatsApp makes it clear that it is sharing information with “third-party service providers and other Facebook Companies in this capacity…”

It also expands on using third-party services integrated inside WhatsApp, and once again other Facebook products find a mention. The earlier policy just mentioned iCloud or Google Drive, which are commonly used by many to backup and save their messages.

The new part in this section mentions that when users rely on “a third-party service or another Facebook Company Product linked through our Services, such as when you use the in-app player to play content from a third-party platform,” some information about them is shared with Facebook or the third-party service. This includes IP address, the fact that one is a WhatsApp user, according to the new policy.

The privacy policy had earlier mentioned that WhatsApp would receive information from the Facebook Group of companies, and that they would also share information with them, though it had noted, “your WhatsApp messages will not be shared onto Facebook for others to see. In fact, Facebook will not use your WhatsApp messages for any purpose other than to assist us in operating and providing our Services.” This particular bit is no longer in the privacy policy.

WhatsApp does elaborate on how the information exchange with Facebook will be utilised. This includes:
- Helping improve infrastructure and delivery systems,
- Understanding how WhatsApp’s Services or theirs (Facebook and other Facebook companies) are used;
- Promoting safety, security and integrity across the Facebook Company Products, e.g., securing systems and fighting spam, threats, abuse, or infringement activities;
- Improving Facebook’s services and users experiences around them, such as making suggestions for users (for example, of friends or group connections, or of interesting content), personalizing features and content, helping users complete purchases and transactions, and showing relevant offers and ads across the Facebook Company Products;
- Providing integration which enable users to connect their WhatsApp experiences with other Facebook Company Products. One example given is allowing users to connect their Facebook Pay account to pay for things on WhatsApp or enabling users to chat with with friends on other Facebook Company Products, such as Portal, by connecting the WhatsApp account.

WhatsApp has expanded on what happens when you delete your account, adding that deleting an account will not automatically result in all information being deleted and some of it might be stored for a longer time. It further adds, “Please remember that when you delete your account, it does not affect your information related to the groups you created or the information other users have relating to you, such as their copy of the messages you sent them.”

The new privacy policy also expands on global operations and data transfer, including how some information is shared “internally within the Facebook Companies and externally with our partners and service providers, and with those with whom you communicate around the world, in accordance with this Privacy Policy.” This was not mentioned in the earlier privacy policy’s section on Global Operations. WhatsApp also makes it clear that it uses Facebook’s global infrastructure and data centers for storing data.

Well, the new policy makes it clear that the company will collect an extra ton of telemetry data from your device. Accordingly, I for certain will delete WhatsApp from my devices.

If you are someone who wants to move on to a more personal or secure messaging app, you should look at WhatsApp alternative apps that focus on both privacy and features :

- Telegram Messenger, with ability to share files of up to 1.5 GB, pass code lock, self-destructing messages and end-to-end encryption in secret chat among other things.

- Signal Private Messenger (my favorite), from the Signal Foundation, the organization that powers the end-to-end encryption technology in WhatsApp Messenger and Facebook Messenger, offers its very own messaging app dubbed Signal Private Messenger. As you’d expect, Signal brings a number of security benefits when compared to WhatsApp. It offers self-destructing messages, screen security (prevents anyone from taking screenshots), and more.
Plus, Signal brings encryption to its backups, calls, group calls, and every other data in the app. Even the files that you send using Signal are protected. Furthermore, according to Apple’s App Store listing, Signal doesn’t link any data to your identity.

Where did you C&P this from?

Attachments

• Pilou's iPhone.jpg
    Pilou's iPhone.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 42
Welcome to the real world.

?

It was an honest question. I would like to see the source before commenting to ensure no article bias.

Clearly you didn't author it and you gave no credits.

?

It was an honest question. I would like to see the source before commenting to ensure no article bias. ...

Most articles have bias (even from sources that claim they aren't biased). The trick is reading a number of articles about the same subject from different sources so the bias cancels out.

?

It was an honest question. I would like to see the source before commenting to ensure no article bias.

Clearly you didn't author it and you gave no credits.

First, Happy New Year 2021 to you and yours Menzies, stay safe and healthy.

Congratulations ! Having been so long away from TrawlerForum I was not aware that since then you were appointed as a Deputy-Moderator of the forum…
(just kidding...).

However I was not aware that there were some change in the applicable TF’s Terms of Service & Community Rules. So, if I clearly understood your post # 5, there is now a new rule of the forum that every time we write a post it must be also proven that the terms and information about the content were right and reliable ? Also it must be shown by the poster the evidence on which her / his post was based ? Is that for all members or only oversea members ?

This is a new rule, which we did not have before. Ample evidence of this was the number of fake news and mistaken evaluations which I had previously identified in the Covid-19 section. Many of them would be almost hilarious if Covid-19 was not such a serious and tragic issue. You should have asked to see the source there as well to ensure no article bias.

I was innocently thinking that after 610 posts in 4 years in which I do not believe also I do not recall posting any fake news, you should give me the benefit of the doubt but OK, I will adjust to that new rule : Please check out the following link from the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55573149

Back to the topic. Nevertheless, I should add about the new WhatsApp policy that (quoting the BBC) "The "key updates" summary of important changes highlights integration with Facebook in the international copy - but does not do so on the European version of the same page"...and... (quoting the BBC) "Facebook issued a statement saying that there would be no changes in the "European region" - which covers the EU, EEA, and post-Brexit UK". .

Even if as being an EU citizen I was not directly affected by WhatsApp new update, anyway I thought it was important that TF members be informed as soon as possible.

But (quoting the BBC) "The news rules apply to all users but people outside the UK and the EU will also need to agree to more data sharing with Facebook".
It was the reason why I deleted WhatsApp from my devices. It may be noted that the WhatsApp new policy arrives as Facebook has been working to integrate WhatsApp with the rest of the company's messaging ecosystem.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mme. P. Nice to see you posting. I wish I could comment but I haven't got a clue what "whatsapp" is. Closest I can imagine is...

iu

Don't wanna know either.

Greetings,
Mme. P. Nice to see you posting. I wish I could comment but I haven't got a clue what "whatsapp" is..

Merci beaucoup P. , it’s good to read from you as well. My best to you and your lovely wife.

Pilou

I don't have whatsapp, I have facebook which is used once a year, twitter to read/follow but not post, youtube just in case. All have sent messages that the security policy is changing and my choice is clear, accept the change or close the account. Perhaps for those that care it matters more. I think google had similar, they are all changing their policies. From what I can gather it is how they will share our personal information to build a better mousetrap. They acknowledge me by my alias, so have at it.

Something new is happening with email and text, I am getting unsolicited stuff.

Merci beaucoup P. , it’s good to read from you as well. My best to you and your lovely wife.

Pilou

Et bienvenue à Pilou. Agréable de vous voir poster à nouveau. Je vois que tu gardes toujours ma place sur Lutin belle et chaude pour moi. :flowers: :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 11.49.20 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 11.49.20 am.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Frankly, WhatsApp made my recent major refit in Mexico possible. It works much better than standard SMS text messaging. I suspect the folks on this forum - predominantly US and Canadian - fully appreciate how ubiquitous WhatsApp is globally.

I am not a Facebook user (I don't even have an account) so have long been leery of the WhatsApp connection. I'll move to Signal messaging I suppose.

Heres an article that better describes the changes to be implemented February 8th.

https://www.newsweek.com/whatsapp-p...tive-secure-chat-apps-signal-telegram-1560084

Peter

I have a rule in life that has so far served me well: Stay well away from anything involving Mark Zuckerberg.

I have a rule in life that has so far served me well: Stay well away from anything involving Mark Zuckerberg.

:thumb:

And the "Nothing to Hide" argument is flawed, it's the wrong response to mass surveillance. Privacy isn’t about hiding, it never was; privacy is about protecting.

Never used WhatsApp, but privacy on social media and on messaging systems is likely to reduce significantly in light of recent events. Sharing with Facebook or Google is the least of the major issues all face. We learned twenty years ago of the ability to harness private internet sites to plan attacks. We've been reminded recently. It's a challenge for which the solutions haven't yet been developed.

We conduct a tremendous amount of our business discussions on Google, Microsoft and Zoom today and I hope they are under surveillance as I know what we're doing is ok, but I also know others are using them for terrorist activities. I do not have the answers for maintaining safety and balancing it versus freedom of speech in the 21st century.

I will add one thing. If anyone believes there is any privacy of anything over the internet, then you're mistaken. All you can do is conduct yourself in a way that it doesn't matter. The challenge is that the powers that can be used to take advantage of us are the same ones used to protect us. Oh and this privacy limitation isn't just the internet. Does your neighbor have Alexa or her friends and pals in their house? If so, private conversations you have there may also be recorded.

No answers here. Lots of questions.

Does your neighbor have Alexa or her friends and pals in their house? If so, private conversations you have there may also be recorded.

My thoughts are --if something can be abused at some time it will be abused.

You want privacy? Shutdown your computer and go out to enjoy the real life :)

L

You want privacy? Shutdown your computer and go out to enjoy the real life :)

L

Don't believe for one moment it's there either. And, frankly, if privacy was fully available there then one's life would be in serious jeopardy.

Frankly, WhatsApp made my recent major refit in Mexico possible. It works much better than standard SMS text messaging. I suspect the folks on this forum - predominantly US and Canadian - fully appreciate how ubiquitous WhatsApp is globally.

I am not a Facebook user (I don't even have an account) so have long been leery of the WhatsApp connection. I'll move to Signal messaging I suppose.

Heres an article that better describes the changes to be implemented February 8th.

https://www.newsweek.com/whatsapp-p...tive-secure-chat-apps-signal-telegram-1560084

Peter

At the beguinning I had nothing against WhatsApp which I installed as soon as it launched in California. Before WhatsApp and Viber (another free calls and messaging application, once billed as a "Skype killer"), texting was pretting expensive between parts of the world and not very reliable. The handy, convenient and free WhatsApp has become more or less the de facto messenger service for many. As you said, it works a lot better than SMS, also file, photo and video sharing are pretty fast. Since April 6th, 2016, WhatsApp messages were end-to-end encrypted.

According to WhatsApp, "WhatsApp has 2.0 billion users worldwide". According to Ifop (French international polling and market research firm) by March 2018, 52% of cellphone's users in France use WhatsApp on a daily base. According to Pew Research Center (American think tank based in Washington, D.C.), "the number of U.S. adult users of WhatsApp decreased : only 20% of U.S. adults used WhatsApp in 2019, down from 22% in 2018".

I say this respectfully, sorry Peter but the Newsweek article you posted doesn't describe the whole changes to be implemented by February 8th. It mentionned nothing about that the new privacy policy (better to say the new no-privacy policy) allows WhatsApp and Facebook to share user information with businesses and third-party service providers that transact on these platforms. I do not agree with that but everyone sees the world her/his own way.

At work our secure business messaging solutions are Wire Messenger since 2017 with Signal Messenger together since 2018.

Don't believe for one moment it's there either. And, frankly, if privacy was fully available there then one's life would be in serious jeopardy.
Really? Never saw anybody interested in my info when having a ballad in the forest...but maybe they ( you know who is they ) spy on me using satellites or cyber bears.

L

Maybe post something truly awful. WhatsApp might save you the trouble of deleting the app.

Credit to Zak Doffman. Founder & Chief Executive Officer of Digital Barriers developing advanced surveillance solutions & technologies for defence, National Homeland Security, and Counter-Terrorism. Also Cybersecurity Contributor for Forbes (among other media) about the intersection of geopolitics and cybersecurity, analyze breaking security and surveillance stories.

"Data security is complex. Take a peek at the spidery patterns on an investigator’s desktop and you’ll understand: sometimes it’s not what we say that matters, it’s the when, the where and the who.

"Metadata—data about your data", says Cyjax Threat Intelligence's Chief Information Security Officer Ian Thornton, "is almost as powerful as the actual data". Who you know, who you message, when and how often. Who they know and message. What other activity can be tracked to your user ID. It is this Metadata that drives Facebook Companies' information mining machine.

There is a longer-term aspiration on Facebook’s part to fully integrate the backends of WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram and while there are questions around WhatsApp’s data, the privacy labels for the other two are shockingly bad. But everyone knows that Facebook is a data machine. The world’s leading messaging platform claims security and privacy are in its DNA, but it is owned by the world’s most avaricious data harvesting machine. Now this WhatsApp balancing act has just become much harder, as it finds itself threatening users with deleted accounts unless they accept new terms that take effect on February 8. And so whatever your view on this current change to WhatsApp, you’d be brave to bet against further changes in the future."

Diagram of What Data Does Collect WhatsApp Vs Signal, iMessage, Facebook Messenger :

Attachments

• DIAGRAM.jpg
    DIAGRAM.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 31
Et bienvenue à Pilou. Agréable de vous voir poster à nouveau. Je vois que tu gardes toujours ma place sur Lutin belle et chaude pour moi. :flowers: :D

Bonjour Pierre, that’s a very nice photo of you aboard our “Lutin”, merci beaucoup mon ami. Since 2 years it stands in a frame on my desk at work, I hope that your lovely Doralle won't be jealous about that :).
Thanks God, on the same year we had wonderful opportunities to meet and welcome your son in June in special circumstances, then four months later it was a pleasure to greet you and Dorale at our home and boat, for a week. It was just a really lovely time you know, really lovely. We were right and lucky of doing so especially when we look at the current situation. C’était le bon temps !(it was the right time to do this).

Of course you will always have the best place aboard Lutin, we do miss you. We just have to wait until the pandemic is over to meet again in person. It will happen, life is too short to be small.

P.S. Cleaning our 2020 email boxes yesterday we found 2 emails from you in both of our spam folders again. Too bad and very sorry about that, will write back that week ! Plenty of things to tell you.

Attachments

• Peter B aboard LUTIN.jpg
    Peter B aboard LUTIN.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 76
Quelle..? Je suis spam..? Je suis dévasté. :eek: :nonono: :facepalm:

I suspect it must because of my rather unconventional email address. Oh dear, how sad - never mind. At least that protects my privacy..? Maybe..? :D

Amities, ma cherie, I look forward to those replies to my somewhat-better-late-than-never, emails, :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom