Bug out Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's times like this that I miss our 52' sailboat. It had huge water and fuel tanks, solar panels and a watermaker. We could live a long time self sufficiently on the sailboat, and did in the Caribbean. However, now that we've got a trawler, we have a much shorter cruising range, no water maker, burn lots more fuel, etc., so it's not a good bug-out boat. Not part of our plan. However we live in a rural area, which helps my peace of mind.

Yes, depressing but worth thinking about. Maybe the world does not go nuclear, so what to expect if SHTF? After the first panic-stricken week, there will almost certainly be gangs of have-nots cruising and looking for targets to steal from. The best-equipped preppers can expect to be attacked by gangs ranging from 10 to 50 people. One or two people with good guns could stave them off for a while but would eventually be over-run or burned out.

I'm of two minds. First, I would bug out to the closest military or Reserves location and volunteer to do whatever needs to be done. They will be short-handed and will need everything from runners, guards, and cooks to computer-skilled folks to help out in a flexible-needs scenario. Good news, there will be food and creature comforts, plus mutual protection.

Second thought, I'm older and retired and of no use to re-populate the planet in 5-25 years. I would turn over my safe space to healthy teenagers who would have a chance to renew the population 10-20 years from now.

You have convinced me!

I am writing a very stern letter to Russia, China, North Korea and Iran demanding that they straighten up. (Failing that, a more strongly worded letter to follow).

You obviously work for our govt.
:banghead:

It's a romantic fantasy to think about, but in reality I don't see the point. First, how much advance notice are you going to have? A full-scale nuclear WW3 event is basically a life-ending event for everyone. Where are you going to go and escape radiation and how long can you survive? If you are really worried about it, you're probably better off building a bomb shelter in your basement and stocking it with supplies. But even that, when you emerge a year later, what do you think you'll return to? I think boaters like to think they are self sufficient and therefore it makes sense to think of a boat as a safe haven. If there is a launch of ICBMs, you'll likely not even make it to your boat in time, and even if you did, you're not going to get thousands of miles away from the mainland to be in a safe area. And even if you planned ahead, and left now and were far away if this event happens, there will still be nothing left to return to. If it makes you happy to prepare your boat for this event, go for it. In that scenario, eking out s few extra months of survival is not worth it IMO. Better to enjoy the life you have now, than fearing annihilation in the future.

Two bullets can end a request for such a silly question.
Your ro systems will be worthless.

It's a romantic fantasy to think about, but in reality I don't see the point. First, how much advance notice are you going to have? A full-scale nuclear WW3 event is basically a life-ending event for everyone. Where are you going to go and escape radiation and how long can you survive? If you are really worried about it, you're probably better off building a bomb shelter in your basement and stocking it with supplies. But even that, when you emerge a year later, what do you think you'll return to? I think boaters like to think they are self sufficient and therefore it makes sense to think of a boat as a safe haven. If there is a launch of ICBMs, you'll likely not even make it to your boat in time, and even if you did, you're not going to get thousands of miles away from the mainland to be in a safe area. And even if you planned ahead, and left now and were far away if this event happens, there will still be nothing left to return to. If it makes you happy to prepare your boat for this event, go for it. In that scenario, eking out s few extra months of survival is not worth it IMO. Better to enjoy the life you have now, than fearing annihilation in the future.
Spot on

It's times like this that I miss our 52' sailboat. It had huge water and fuel tanks, solar panels and a watermaker. We could live a long time self sufficiently on the sailboat, and did in the Caribbean. However, now that we've got a trawler, we have a much shorter cruising range, no water maker, burn lots more fuel, etc., so it's not a good bug-out boat. Not part of our plan. However we live in a rural area, which helps my peace of mind.

I have a 50' sailboat (60'LOA) in LA I am wanting to get rid of cheap. It has solar panels, a new watermaker, new sails, new genset and two fuel tanks full of 360 gal diesel.

Attachments

• aam bow stb.JPG
    aam bow stb.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1aa hard 1.jpg
    1aa hard 1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 20
Salmon.
Salmon with wild rice, broccoli, and nice bottle of wine. No point running as you will only die tired. Migh as well enjoy what little time is left.

Ted

This is all so hypothetical that I'm not sure it's worth much thought or prep (I mean the extent and effects of any exchange are hypothetical or speculative, although estimating the likelihood of some exchange is another matter). I do have to say though, this has been an interesting thread just to watch the two themes emerge, two camps. Seems to me there's the bite-and-claw-and-fight to survive types, and then the others -- "we'll all be vaporized anyway and if we aren't, I'm going to shoot myself in the head, don't want to be here anyway." Reminds me of the Poseidon Adventure disaster movie -- some people just decide -- We're all going to die so I'll just sit here as the water rises (blub blub drown) while another group sets out to climb for the upside down hull. Shelly Winters strokes out and drowns, the priest bites it, they don't all make it, but some do. As for me, if we're not vaporized, my family will be among those clawing to survive. My boys might look like the urchins in that Robin Williams Peter Pan movie after a couple weeks, but we'll give it a shot.)

(And for the posters who keep saying, "you don't know what it'll be like, we'll all be dust" -well, all due respect, you don't really know what it'll be like either. We will have to switch back to sail though, goodbye functioning fuel docks. I'll just have to get used to steep companionway stairs and heeling over all the time. Living life on a slant. Gimbaled stove.)

I am pro 2nd amendment so if your choice is bullets, what caliber would you prefer?

Interesting how the sanity (or lack thereof) of one man can dominate the thoughts of most informed people around the globe. I like to think that the oligarchs or the military leaders in Russia are giving Putin a long, but not unlimited, leash and that there is a bullet with his name on it if he gives the launch order. But maybe not . . .

Takes two to tangle. Just 2 bullets can end possibility’s of apocalypse.

I'm no prepper. Just a guy with a trawler that has the capacity to cover long distances. Contrary to beliefs a nuclear war is very much survivable. Add that to the understanding that humans have a natural instinct to survive and protect their family. I do believe that with enough warning. We could head west to the Yucatán. Where we would have a better chance of survival. With distance from major targeted areas and Mexico's neutrality and insignificance. I also believe the alternative of sheltering in place or joining the millions on the highway makes it a viable option. Everyone who has ever been through a hurricane and/or evacuation know the reality and the nightmare situations that occur. Beer, chicken wings and a tank full of fuel is a must.:)

Bug out

My reaction is to compare to a hurricane. Sure, you're screwed in a direct Cat 5 hit. No mitigation possible. But there are many storms for which preparation is prudent. In fact, a great majority of storms are such.

Would it not follow that there are gradations of SHTF scenarios?

Peter

If it’s a full blown nuclear exchange, no. The EMP would destroy everything digital, all electronic components etc. the nuclear winter would destroy the ability to live. Very few would even have the opportunity to survive, much less exist in a primitive environment. A limited tactical exchange in Europe would be survivable but would be extremely difficult. If you’re looking for a survival boat, I’d suggest a sailboat. Fuel would be almost impossible to get for a trawler, IMO.

(And for the posters who keep saying, "you don't know what it'll be like, we'll all be dust" -well, all due respect, you don't really know what it'll be like either.

Well, I'm am member of the "living will envy the dead" school of thought, but of the many post-apocolyptic visions, I think my favorite remains A Boy and His Dog with the young Don Johnson in one of the title roles.

:dance:

Last edited:
Perhaps it's time to have another view of the movie "On the Beach" for the perspective of just how far you can go to get away from the consequences of the big one.
All the thought put into having the bug-out bag, a fast horse, and a place to go. Hope it works out for you.

"undamaged"? You mean aside from a ten year long winter, no sunshine or growing season and lethal doses of radiation for at least five years? Plus the last time I looked...
Bug-Out Boat.
I, and my Very Significant Other looking over my shoulder, see a lot of off-topic statements.
Meanwhile, a great bunch of possibilities goes unexplored...
Bug-Out Boat.
We constantly read similar threads on naval architecture and home-builder forums.
We are on the water with other folk, discussing their plans to modify their vessels into Bug-Out capable.
Each of us is continuously 'gaming', playing with 'what-if' possibilities.
Accordingly, our long-duration full-time live-aboard vessel includes:
* Trailerable -- use it in lakes, rivers, littoral... 8.5' x 53', about the size of a common semi-trailer in fUSA
* Non-plastic -- aluminum (steel was our second choice)
* Low radar and infrared signature
* Engineered for the entire deck to be a photovoltaic structure
* Engineered for the entire deck to be a rain collector, channeling potential drinking water to the tanks
* Electric drive, retractable above water
* Designed from the start for long-term self-sufficiency with a walk-in shop, walk-in freezers, and extensive stores of food and meds, parts and tools.
* Long narrow scow, short-masts, similar to the canal boats of Europe
* Level beach-able to dry out for maintenance while maintaining the live-aboard capabilities
* Redundancy in all systems and crew
* Every crew has multiple cross-trainings, able to mentor newcomers we might consider rescuing.
Imagine a flotilla of such self-reliant vessels, mutually supportive as a cohesive defendable unit.
Imagine these folk thriving on the bounty of the sea and shores.
We initiated our sea-faring in the 1970s, then discovered SAILING THE FARM, discussing the use of every window as part of an extensive green-house... and the many benefits of sea-vegetables.
All three of us grew-up on farms, so isolated rustic self-sufficiency is normal for us.
But none of us are managers or administrators.
Irregardless of catastrophe or disaster, our prep is good for probably most any event.
Our water filters are good for a volcano or tsunami or earthquake event.
Our freeze-dryers produce food good for droughts and floods.
Our security is adequate for rioters and other nincompoops.
Two of us are current with our Combat Medic skills, one of us is a retired USAF Para-Jumper experienced in surgery, with a specialty in containing potential epidemics.
Between going way-overboard 'gaming' the most extreme cascading disasters piled stop catastrophe after catastrophe -- tsunami in a blizzard with contagious rioters -- we use our boat to verify its compatibility with our needs.
The size and shape only remotely resembles the original.
The interior seems to be hacked out and fussed with at least a couple times a year.
This is our vessel.
These are our plans.
We would enjoy reading about your prep and plans!

Last edited:
Takes two to tangle. Just 2 bullets can end possibility’s of apocalypse.

No, it just takes one lunatic to start a nuclear exchange. So, who’s the other bullet for?

If SHTF, as in nukes, when nuclear winter hits, my understanding is no escape anywhere.

Well not exactly true. If RU does it - the northern latitudes aren toast- as the nuclear winter takes over following the jet stream. We in the south have very little to worry about...no one is shooting in our region.

When we lived up in the great white nord it was a different era. We always kept a full larder on shore in storage (cellar house). Dried fish and smoked meats, waxed eggs, we canned our own veggies. Hardly anything store bought.

Funny how prepping and provisioning are similar. We are in process of having 6 months of most everything we need on board. Keep our fuel topped off, 700 gallons. Got the Watermaker and 400g water tank. Getting our food stocks together. The same as we did for our first trip to the Bahamas. If the world is unlivable after 6 months maybe its not worth living in. Hopefully we never get to that point.

Reckon we are close and have been off grid for 6 years

660 gallons of water - rain collection + 40 gph of desal
1850 gallons of diesel - 3500nm range
2500 watts of solar - 840ah @ 24v of LFP

Probably enough frozen meat, beans, rice, pasta, cans, flour etc onboard now to last us 6 mths of feast or 12mths of famine
Spices, sauces and various Asian/indian condiments bought in a 2 year quantity as good supplies are hard to get without a car

Any medication needed is also bought in a 12mth bundle

Fresh Asian greens is my downfall and about all that has us going back to land on a semi regular basis

Back
Top Bottom