Mantus m2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
backinblue wrote;
“ Note that I have a combo nylon/chain rode, maybe that helps? ”

No telling how it comes comes up then.
With line I’d get the Anchor Right Australia flip link.

backinblue wrote;
“ Note that I have a combo nylon/chain rode, maybe that helps? ”

No telling how it comes comes up then.
With line I’d get the Anchor Right Australia flip link.

There's not enough room between my anchor and windlass for that. I already have the Ultra anchor flip swivel which has worked for me 100% of the time so far.

The PO had a S/S plate put on that covers the entire bottom of the pulpit. When I went to a bigger Delta I spent 2 hours with a grinder cutting out the S/S to get it to fit.

While some boaters say, "I'd like to use that anchor but it won't fit my pulpit, there are those of us who say, "I got tools that will make that bitch fit." :D

But why bother when there’s plenty of anchors that will.

But why bother when there’s plenty of anchors that will.

Maybe it's the challenge Eric..? Or, maybe if your research has one set on a certain make of anchor, and you really want it to fit..? :)

To my best of knowledge, rollbar anchors are more efficient overall. It is worth making the effort to fit the one you believe will work for you, after all, an anchor is not something you want to compromise with.

To my best of knowledge, rollbar anchors are more efficient overall. It is worth making the effort to fit the one you believe will work for you, after all, an anchor is not something you want to compromise with.
Where the roller is set within the bowsprit a roll bar usually won`t fit, short of significant modifications. Which is why Sarca complement the (roll bar) Super Sarca with the Sarca Excel. I`ve used the high performing former,but with my "new" boat I need the latter. Reports from TF users in USA, and anchor tester Steve/SV Panope, are so encouraging I don`t think there is a compromise to make.

Where the roller is set within the bowsprit a roll bar usually won`t fit, short of significant modifications. Which is why Sarca complement the (roll bar) Super Sarca with the Sarca Excel. I`ve used the high performing former,but with my "new" boat I need the latter. Reports from TF users in USA, and anchor tester Steve/SV Panope, are so encouraging I don`t think there is a compromise to make.

Each one of us chooses its own solution to his understanding, Steve of SV Panope is doing a great job doing his tests but as he stated at his last video there is a lot more to cover that he cannot afford, anchors and anchoring look simple at first glance but there are many factors and variants to take under consideration when designing, making and testing anchors. Again, to my opinion, overall, roll bar anchors have more advantages than disadvantages, and the most important thing is not compromising on the anchor you think will do the best job for you rather making few changes in your pulpit or bow roller.

Everyone has their own opinions on anchors and they are not likely to change from a post on TF, but it's hard to resist commenting anyway. I bought an Ultra anchor and love it. No roll bar to deal with. Read some reviews and watch videos, it gets high praise.

Which is why Sarca complement the (roll bar) Super Sarca with the Sarca Excel. I`ve used the high performing former,but with my "new" boat I need the latter. Reports from TF users in USA, and anchor tester Steve/SV Panope, are so encouraging I don`t think there is a compromise to make.

I had to "get over" my slight prejudice against the Excel due to it looking something like a Delta, which was never one of my faves. But after watching Panope's video and reading of some others' experience I am intrigued. The only negative I noted on Panope's review was that it added length to the bow vs. his more tucked in Spade.

But that's only an issue in certain specific situations (marina, etc), and wouldn't apply to everyone. (Kinda like the roll bar.)

The Excel also has a bit more toe length (from shank/roller interface to tip) than some other designs. That's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. The size I wanted would have hit my hull unless I moved the roller out. Basically, it's a longer, narrower anchor than some other designs.

FYI. Mantus replied to my email and said they would send me a new shank once they are in production. Pretty nice guys and didn't have any issue saying they had an issue.

Don

Maybe it's the challenge Eric..? Or, maybe if your research has one set on a certain make of anchor, and you really want it to fit..? :)

I’ve had my favorites and some for long periods of time. And I love making a dark horse rise above her past limitations. And what I’ve been reflecting on lately is how beaufifly both the SARCA and Excel turn toward the running rode and dive into the seafloor as one determined and beautiful motion. Visions in Steve’s vids.

I disagree w izikalvo thinking the roll bar is parasitic in nature. It puts weight at the wrong end and causes drag w not return of holding power .. like a fluke. My thought has always been if one can design an anchor that dos’nt need the RB it’s (by design) ahead of one requiring the RB. Put that weight into a bigger fluke or a stronger shank.

I removed the RB from my Supreme but after several mods it seems no better than it was. Here it is after the last mod. The second pic is to show the whole anchor minus the stinger tail. It's not finished though. The plan was a little plate (about 5 SQ. inches) on the end of the tail. Kinda like on the top of the SARCA.

Attachments

• DSCF2561 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF2561 copy 2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2505.jpg
    DSCF2505.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Rollbars do have their downsides, but they likely make the design less sensitive. I wouldn't be surprised if they also make an anchor less sensitive to mud or other debris caked on that could upset balance.

rslifkin,
I’m sure the fat RB on the Supreme aided and promoted mud compaction but the main culprit there was the very concave fluke and the shank stuck right in the bottom/middle to help pile up the mud. The Supreme was my favorite for a long time but the mud problem is real.
The sensitive anchor. Bet you could make that interesting.

Rollbars ... I wouldn't be surprised if they also make an anchor less sensitive to mud or other debris caked on that could upset balance.

Although one consistent complaint I've read is that the rollbar/anchor interface can clog with mud and then it will not re-set. I've read it about Rocna and Supreme (which have tighter rollbars than Mantus M1).

Yes, stuff getting packed into the rollbar is an issue. I think the large, skinny rollbar is why the Mantus works as well as it does. The skinny rollbar reduces drag abs the large opening makes it harder to clog.

rslifkin,
Skinny RB is to be found on the SARCA. Solid steel I think.
There’s nothing wimpy anywhere on a Anchor Right Australia anchor.
Rex builds them skookum.

The RB hole being large dia. and the rod dia being small = less negative re the RB.

The bar on top is not very intrusive, much less so than a Mantus. Expensive? Yes, but sometimes you get what you pay for, but also, piece of mind at night in a blow can be priceless! A long time ago, a USCG instructor taught us, "always buy the best piece of equipment you can find for it's intended purpose". Everyone can argue about one anchor vs. another, but I truly believe that the Ultra is one of the best out there today, so I'm not going to worry about trying to save a few hundred dollars when deciding what I am going to trust my boat to.

And you can get that with a far less expensive galvanised anchor.
I am not paying premium for shiney.

As for the few hundred dollar saving, for us its more like $7thousand difference between an ultra and a Manson Supreme which, has held us in 80+ knots and sets first time every time in 4 years of full time anchoring.

Last edited:
Blackinblue,
Simi 60 drives a tight argument. Any more performance than what you need is a waste. But skippers tend to buy anchors like it was going to blow 125mph.

Has the Ultra anchor ever been in a big comprehensive anchor test? Some to many anchors like the Mantus haven’t been tested .. as far as I know. Testing kinda fell of a cliff 3-4 years ago. But for the two anchors in question they have been in the hands of owners and here on TF owners have been very satisfied. But most people tend to say good things about their things as it’s a reflection on them.

I’ve been impressed with the appearance of the Ultra in that I’m quite sure it’s the best looking anchor in existence. And the glitter dosn't hurt .. no doubt. And (a personal opinion) the mud we’ve been talking about lately will probably slide off the anchor better than the relatively rough surface of a galvanized anchor.

Blackinblue,
Simi 60 drives a tight argument. Any more performance than what you need is a waste. But skippers tend to buy anchors like it was going to blow 125mph.

Has the Ultra anchor ever been in a big comprehensive anchor test? Some to many anchors like the Mantus haven’t been tested .. as far as I know. Testing kinda fell of a cliff 3-4 years ago. But for the two anchors in question they have been in the hands of owners and here on TF owners have been very satisfied. But most people tend to say good things about their things as it’s a reflection on them.

I’ve been impressed with the appearance of the Ultra in that I’m quite sure it’s the best looking anchor in existence. And the glitter dosn't hurt .. no doubt. And (a personal opinion) the mud we’ve been talking about lately will probably slide off the anchor better than the relatively rough surface of a galvanized anchor.

I didn't buy it for appearance, I bought it for performance. It is only available in stainless so you get that not matter what. Yes, it does clean up easier than galvanized and fits on my bow with no issue. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but a good option for some to consider if you can afford the price.

I didn't buy it for appearance, I bought it for performance. It is only available in stainless so you get that not matter what. Yes, it does clean up easier than galvanized and fits on my bow with no issue. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but a good option for some to consider if you can afford the price.
I've studied these anchors over the years and am convinced that if you can afford one and you anchor a lot, the Ultra should definitely be on your short list! Google "Ultra Anchor Videos" for a lot more info.

Last edited:
Codger,
“Ultra Anchor Videos”
Sounds like an in-house promotional probably laced w false and misleading info.

We’ve been in the dark on anchor testing for some time now. Have no idea when or if it will start up again.
And many are still very satisfied w their Bruce/Claw anchors. So what’s that tell you about the validity od dock talk re anchors. But that could tell you more about what you really need for an anchor. Bigger IS better. Any anchor will perform well if big enough.
And if we took a poll on best anchor 85% would just list or indicate their own anchor. Understandably as most anchor in benign conditions when any anchor will do.

Seems to me you (Codger) had a good Claw (Shark?) and thought highly of it. Wasn’t galvanized as I recall. And it wasn’t a Ray. Anybody have a Ray anchor?

Last edited:
Look at the Ultra Anchor. I love mine.

I had the Ultra anchor on my previous (smaller). Great anchor, never failed to set and never dragged.

Fast forward to current, much larger boat, and I bought a Spade brand anchor. It’s functionally the same anchor, although not nearly as pretty!! What’s with the yellow paint on this anchor?

Perfect anchor (I have the 66# version). Sets really fast, never drags, etc etc. I have it on 300 feet of chain.

Blackinblue,
But skippers tend to buy anchors like it was going to blow 125mph.

Although 3 a.m., raining, windy, and a shift bringing waves in with a fetch....then 50 can almost feel like "125 equivalent" at times :eek:

I’ll take your word for it Frosty.
Haven’t done that. Most of my anchoring has been done in Alaska and most SE Alaska anchorages are protected, void of waves.

I didn't buy it for appearance, I bought it for performance..

As did I with the Manson Supreme
We have sat out some decent blows with boats that have ultra anchors
Neither of us moved.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but a good option for some to consider if you can afford the price

Personally, as a full time liveaboard cruiser who never uses marinas or moorings, and as I have not seen any proof that they have better holding power or setting capabilities, for the price of 1 ultra I would rather 2 Manson supremes (a spare in case I lose one) and still have $5k in the cruising kitty.

Here in Oz, an ultra to suit our vessel is $9000

Last edited:
I’ll take your word for it Frosty.
Haven’t done that. Most of my anchoring has been done in Alaska and most SE Alaska anchorages are protected, void of waves.

They are lovely. Deep but oh, so sheltered (although I have not anchored in Alaska but have in BC).

Yes, stuff getting packed into the rollbar is an issue. I think the large, skinny rollbar is why the Mantus works as well as it does. The skinny rollbar reduces drag abs the large opening makes it harder to clog.

The right size roll bar will reduce clogging to a minimum non affecting issue and will give the benefits of being a real help with penetrating position and resetting.

For the mud clogging on the concaved fluke, you can see on the new video made by Steve of SV Panope that there are solutions to eliminate this problem as well.

I had the Ultra anchor on my previous (smaller). Great anchor, never failed to set and never dragged.

Fast forward to current, much larger boat, and I bought a Spade brand anchor. It’s functionally the same anchor, although not nearly as pretty!! What’s with the yellow paint on this anchor?

Perfect anchor (I have the 66# version). Sets really fast, never drags, etc etc. I have it on 300 feet of chain.

I agree. Spade would probably be my next choice. According to their website: "Bright yellow paint allows you to check how well the anchor is secured into the sea floor" but unless in really shallow or clear Caribbean waters, I doubt that works for many of us. I'd prefer not to deal with a roll bar if I don't have to. The Ultra for my boat, smaller than most here, was about $2K if I remember, so in the realm of my boating budget.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom