Flip Link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
We are undertaking a complete overhaul of our anchoring system. New chain, windlass, bow spit rollers etc. As part of the overhaul we are changing the anchor from our Rocna to the Sarca Excel.

Anchor Right(Sarca) recommend using a Flip Link to ensure the anchor comes into the bow spit the right way up. This has been a problem for us with the Rocna set up. I was wondering if anyone uses a flip link and do they work?

No personal experience either, but I agree with Peter. An acquaintance I trust has recommended using one to me. Space may be an issue.

The anchor coming up and righting itself isn't really a fault or function of the anchor. It's caused by the chain hockling and is resolved with a swivel. If the issue was occurring with your Rocna, then any swivel will resolve the issue. A flip-link is just one approach to a mousetrap.

We are undertaking a complete overhaul of our anchoring system. New chain, windlass, bow spit rollers etc. As part of the overhaul we are changing the anchor from our Rocna to the Sarca Excel.

Anchor Right(Sarca) recommend using a Flip Link to ensure the anchor comes into the bow spit the right way up. This has been a problem for us with the Rocna set up. I was wondering if anyone uses a flip link and do they work?
Andy....I have a Sarca AND the solid Flip Link. I replaced an Ultra swivel with it. Works VERY well indeed and I highly recommend it, irrespective of the anchor type: its effectiveness is independent of the specific anchor.

(Actually I should be using past tense: Aquabelle was sold earlier this week. I'm now in therapy....)

Andy....I have a Sarca AND the solid Flip Link. I replaced an Ultra swivel with it. Works VERY well indeed and I highly recommend it, irrespective of the anchor type: its effectiveness is independent of the specific anchor.

(Actually I should be using past tense: Aquabelle was sold earlier this week. I'm now in therapy....)

Why did you replace the Ultra swivel? What didn't work well? I was planning to get one.

Congratulations/commiserations on selling Aquabelle. Are you looking for another boat or taking a break?

We have been using a swivel on our current set up. Actually we have tried a few types of swivel, none really worked that well, very frustrating.

We spoke to Rex from Anchor Right and he swears by the Flip Link so we will give that a go. Also we hope that by changing the bow roller set up we will overcome the resistance of the anchor sheeting home to the Lofran Tigres.

We will see.

The anchor coming up and righting itself isn't really a fault or function of the anchor. It's caused by the chain hockling and is resolved with a swivel. If the issue was occurring with your Rocna, then any swivel will resolve the issue. A flip-link is just one approach to a mousetrap.

Sorry Shrew - have to disagree about the swivel solving the issue. From personal experience, shared by Andy also it appears, it may well not. In fact so much so, I found my rig, (when I had it) actually worked best without a swivel, and just made sure the links of the chain rode in the slot in the roller properly. If it went down with that correctly orientated it usually, eg about 8/10, came up correctly. However the 2/10 was still annoying, so I think Andy will be pleased with the flip-link approach. :)

Why did you replace the Ultra swivel? What didn't work well? I was planning to get one.
FWT: the Ultra swivel worked sometimes to correctly orient the anchor, but not every time. And the swivel seemed to be working hard in doing its thing, so I became nervous about its integrity. The link is absolutely solid, has no moving parts, is easily inspected and works perfectly every time.

FWT: the Ultra swivel worked sometimes to correctly orient the anchor, but not every time. And the swivel seemed to be working hard in doing its thing, so I became nervous about its integrity. The link is absolutely solid, has no moving parts, is easily inspected and works perfectly every time.

Big thanks.

Your post gave me pause, to reflect, and to look up the flip link. It seems like a simple / uncomplicated bit of effective gear. It does obviously require more space between the anchor and windlass than a swivel (of any brand). And many of the newer anchor designs have longer shanks than some older designs that adds to the space limitations. My space (Helmsman 38) will be too limited I think to consider it. I did like learning about this option though, so thanks.

Curious if anyone has used a Mantus Swivel? They seem to be well built.
I've been using a Mantus swivel since they first came out, some 80-100 nights each summer. Seems like a great design that is not subject to damage from side loading. I inspect the wire regularly, and re-wire every year or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom