Old 05-08-2021, 06:15 AM   #1

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Anchor Pulpit Project

I am sharing my project to upgrade my whole anchor setup. Currently the boat has a anchor roller mounted directly on the bow and had a smooth drum windlass that requires tailing it and can only handle rope rode.

I wanted to install a heavier anchor a little further out with a windlass at the same height so I started looking at pre-manufactured anchor platforms/pulpits. After realizing that I would be modifying anything I bought to bring the platform down to the deck height near the current windlass, I decided to find a used pulpit and just hack it up.

This platform came off a 30’ sea ray and was about 4' long. I want it longer so I had plants of room to extend it inboard to the deck with plenty of room for the windlass and cleats. I needed to be refinished anyway and was cheap so I can chop it up with impunity.

So far I have chopped it apart and traced it 13” apart, beveled the edges from below and made a simple for from sheet aluminum. After it is tabbed together, it will be ground down and glasses across the top, reenforced from below and then take it down to the boat and do some CAD work (cardboard aided design) to figure out the shape of the sides which will extend down to the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210508-064715.jpg   PXL_20210507_215811585.jpg   PXL_20210507_215821505.MP.jpg   PXL_20210508_104035658.jpg   PXL_20210508_104043788.jpg  

PXL_20210508_104046035.jpg  

Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #2

About 6 layers of mat to tab it together. The overlapping layers will go much further out once I can remove the bracing
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210508_154423218.jpg   PXL_20210508_154425378.jpg  

Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Mat doesn’t have a lot of strength. I would use a structural glass like 1708. It is a biaxial glass with a layer of mat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Mat doesn’t have a lot of strength. I would use a structural glass like 1708. It is a biaxial glass with a layer of mat.

Thank you for the tip, I am using mat for this first part to build up the middle thickness to account for the or beveled edges of the cut two pieces of the platform. Once I have it closer to even and the fasteners out of the way, I will grind the gel coat further back and run either 1708 or alternating layers of mat and woven roving.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I agree about the matte only. Nytex which encompasses both mat and cloth is far stronger. You will need the strength.

Which ever windlass you use, the chain wildcat needs to be ABOVE the chain feed or the chain WILL tend to pop out of the pockets which aside from being disconcerting, may be dangerous.

If you do mount the windlass so the wildcat is below the chain feed you likely will have to use another wheel to push it down to ensure it stays in the pockets.
Without enough chain/wildcat engagement it WILL pop free.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
I agree about the matte only. Nytex which encompasses both mat and cloth is far stronger. You will need the strength.

Which ever windlass you use, the chain wildcat needs to be ABOVE the chain feed or the chain WILL tend to pop out of the pockets which aside from being disconcerting, may be dangerous.

If you do mount the windlass so the wildcat is below the chain feed you likely will have to use another wheel to push it down to ensure it stays in the pockets.
Without enough chain/wildcat engagement it WILL pop free.
The windlass will be above the feed, I am basically replicating this setup, which is the mainship MK3. Mine will be a little shorter and the platform will have to extend down at the aft and where on the MK3, the deck was molded to come up to the gunnel hight at the platform.

I just pulled the braces off and will probably trim it up and take it down for mock up so the additional layers of glass will extent all the way down in continuous cloth.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210508-125017.jpg   PXL_20210508_164346508.jpg  
Old 05-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Woven roving leaves pockets of resin. Most builders used to use it to build up thickness but the biaxial cloth is stronger and doesn’t leave pockets of resin which doesn’t have any strength.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You might consider a polished stainless steel plate backplated along the entire length on the top to provide the strength required of an extended anchor pulpit.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #9

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Be sure to template/trial your anchor before final installation. Horizontal Winches are more forgiving as long as they have sufficient gypsy wrap before chain enters locker. Vertical capstan with short pulpit & long anchor shank is a bad combo.
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatswing View Post
Be sure to template/trial your anchor before final installation. Horizontal Winches are more forgiving as long as they have sufficient gypsy wrap before chain enters locker. Vertical capstan with short pulpit & long anchor shank is a bad combo.
I am waiting on the backordered anchor to arrive but will definitely test fit prior to taking to the boat. I will probably need to trim some glass in front of the roller. I am using the same model horizontal lewmar profish windlass that is pictured on the MK3 above.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Nice improvement to your boat. Well done. Luckily nobody has asked what type of anchor you have on order. I’m sure it’s the wrong one.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Nice improvement to your boat. Well done. Luckily nobody has asked what type of anchor you have on order. I’m sure it’s the wrong one.
Shocking indeed
Old 05-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #13

I have added 3 6 oz mat layers on top of the platform now, bridging the beveled holes from the previous installation. It is extended down on each side. I clamped a form on either side once the glass was wetted out to create a relatively straight and even surface to apply the additional layers to from underneath. I would like to retain the (roughly) original width and height of the finished of the gel coat at the front of the pulpit, so I only have the thickness of glass that I ground away from the top. I removed about 1/8" of glass from the top so I have that thickness to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210510_101244718.jpg   PXL_20210510_101231665.jpg  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #14

The shorter overhang will be trimmed off and the longer overhang can be cut with tin snips at the boat to the contour of the deck, then I'll bring it back to the shop and build it up. I'll sand the surface and sides to a even finish and then wrap it in one layer of 1708, the vast majority of structure will be added to the bottom side where I have virtually no physical limit to how many layers I want to add. Once is is all done, I'll remove the hardware and refinish the whole thing, it will be gelcoat with a non-skid surface on top. The gel coat will be applied with foam brushes.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #15
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
It never occurred to me to repurpose an anchor pulpit from another boat! I just built a mount out of multiple layers of marine ply laminated with epoxy and fitted & glassed it to the shape of the boat to get the height of the gypsy above the chain. Your solution was probably easier and looks more professional.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
Guru

After looking at all of the glass work pictures, I take back the part I said about your job being easier but it does look more professional!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #17

The dimensions of this example are totally different but I plan to install an access port just like this example. That way I can reach the backside and secure some hardware to the pulpit rather than through the deck. The pulpit will be secured to the deck with 6 carriage bolts, spread over a larger area than each individual cleat would be bolted, so it will plenty secure.

There will be a tube inside to guide the rode to the locker but I am probably going to relocate my wash down hose under the pulpit, eventually, I'd like to add a fixed spray nozzle to the bottom, near the roller, so I can open a valve, flip on the salt water wash down pump and clean the chain remotely as I retrieve the rode.
Attached Thumbnails
tug windlass.jpg  
Old 05-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
It never occurred to me to repurpose an anchor pulpit from another boat! I just built a mount out of multiple layers of marine ply laminated with epoxy and fitted & glassed it to the shape of the boat to get the height of the gypsy above the chain. Your solution was probably easier and looks more professional.
I considered the marine ply approach and it would definitely work but honestly, I have some re-coring projects ahead of me on this boat and I just didn't want to add any more plywood.

If I was smart, I would have just used a captive style drum windlass like all of the charter boats run, they are really straightforward, keep the stinky rode out of the bilge (my chain locker does not drain overboard) and are pretty robust but I don't care for the look of them.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
After looking at all of the glass work pictures, I take back the part I said about your job being easier but it does look more professional!
By the way, congrats on all of your progress on Yellowbird. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing your boat in it's lowest days on craiglist before you got your hands on it and fixed her up. It looks great.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
By the way, congrats on all of your progress on Yellowbird. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing your boat in it's lowest days on craiglist before you got your hands on it and fixed her up. It looks great.
Thank you. Yep, that's where my wife found her, on Craigslist. It was ,indeed, in some of her lowest days when we got her! We view it as a piece of clay. We have enjoy making it into what we want. Kind of like your pulpit project, it's fun to get creative and then enjoy the fruits of your labor...lots of labor in our case!