Anchor Chain twisting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

We upgraded from 5/16 chain to 3/8 along with the correct lewmar concept 1 gypsy but with this new setup the chain seems to show a pretty good twist when pulling it in....a link looks to gets jammed in the gypsy a couple of times because it's a little off i think....have to back out a little then run back..

We have a Mantus S2 swivel and I am sure the chain rolls as the tide changes as the boat swings but still...

I also noted that the bow anchor roller has a center channel that I think trys to guide links as they pass over.

Looking for suggestions ...

Thanks 20210907_190320.jpg20210407_145847.jpg

Is the chain under load (pulling the boat) when you retrieve it, or lifting slack chain off the bottom?

Ted

Don't think so, I try to "walk" the boat towards the anchor to seemingly keep the windlass from actually pulling the boat.....

If you're just lifting the chain, then the bow roller is contributing to the twisting. I have the same thing sometimes happen to mine, but my spacing between the bow roller and the windlass is 6 or 7'. My windlass is able to tolerate 2 full twists because of the distance. I have considered changing the bow roller, but not sure what dimensional change I need.

Ted

My Lofrans Tigress windlass gypsy connects with every link and lays them flat on the gypsy.

This imparts a twist to the chain that must be relieved by the chain hanging in the water.

No way around it. A swivel would only help while the anchor is on the bottom with all the chain lifted.

Once the anchor is off the bottom the anchor spins freely.

Twisting is usually due to tide changes.

I would look at a chart for a location deeper than your chain is long, deploy the anchor , then pick it up the chain should come up true.

Back
Top Bottom