Anchor chain twist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I am being a dunce but which one is your preferred one?
THe black one on the left side with the chain in it?
Of the blues?

My roller is a traditional aluminum cast unit with no groove. I have been thinking of changing it to at least with the groove. But while I am at it i would like to try your tulip shape but I want to be sure which one i am looking at.

Thank you.

The one on the left is more traditional with groove, same as I made for my sailboat. The one on the right is the new tulip shape. Both resist chain twist because of the groove, but the tulip shape resists it much better on an angled pull. About equal on a straight pull if you try to twist the chain as it comes in. The older one tends to catch the chain as it slides over the edge into the groove which can cause it to roll. I eliminated those sharper edges on the tulip one so that the chain tends to slide down the shape and into the groove without rolling. It is the red profile in the drawing. I can send you the cad file if you like. I have movies somewhere of the tests I did.

For example, on this kind of angle it pulls smoothly into the groove without rolling, and I made it large enough that it does not contact the stainless steel on my AT sprit:

QEKbeYa.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom