Old 10-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Southport-ish
Vessel Name: Bad Idea
Vessel Model: 36 Albin
I believe my 3 strand rope is the culprit to my chain twist. It doesn't seem to happen unless I get past the 75 feet of chain more than 10 ft.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I used to deal with terrible chain twist. I have mixed rode 130 feet 5/16 chain and 150 of 5/8 3 strand. I've never anchored with more than 90 feet of chain. I have a notched/grooved roller.

I installed a Mantus swivel and I've never had an issue since.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #23
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I think it’s the roller.
Look at the roller post#11. Far too big.
The horizontal chain links need to come at least half way up the sides to stabilize the chain re rolling.
The size of the roller has nothing to do with it. It is the section of the groove. Those rollers are that big for a reason having to do with the existing SS sprit which I did not want to modify. The groove was not arrived at by chance. I designed and printed several groove sections, testing each one. Since angled pull generally aggravates chain twist, I only printed the groove and one cheek to save print time. Tested by pulling chain over it at various angles, and manually twisting it as it was pulled. The tulip shape I arrived at for the forward most roller in post #11 will take chain at about a 40 deg angle without jumping out of the roller and is very resistant to twist. Here are a couple of test rollers. The one with a deeper more traditional groove will actually cause the chain to twist in an angled pull as the links get caught on the corners in the section and roll it. The other one allows the chain to slide into the groove, but the sides are sloped to support the horizontal links and in conjunction with the slight shoulder under those links is resistant to rolling. These rollers have eliminated chain twist as a consideration on my boat.

Here are the sections of those two, including the section of chain. The support against twisting the chain once in the groove is the same, but the tulip shape allows the chain to get there without rolling.

DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #24
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I used to deal with terrible chain twist. I have mixed rode 130 feet 5/16 chain and 150 of 5/8 3 strand. I've never anchored with more than 90 feet of chain. I have a notched/grooved roller.

3 strand rope has a lot of torque which varies under load. That will definitely twist the chain unless you have a good swivel. With 8 plait or all chain, those problems disappear. Also, there are self righting anchors. My Spade for example, if it encounters the roller upside down will right itself as soon as it starts over the roller.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #25

City: Richmond VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Hmmmm, where do I find 300' of water on the Chesapeake?
You don't....

175 ' Right here....

Ric in Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #26

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Anchor Chain Twist

We have @ 150' of chain followed by 200+' of 8 plait.

Every winter I remove the chain to 'wash' it. Washing is dropping it in a bucket while spraying it with some anticorrosive spray (CRC, etc). The chain is still clean with no rust and 10yrs old.

We anchor like you in the same conditions and depth.

I didn't see you mention a swivel, which we have, that not only doesn't twist the chain but provides for the anchor to be retrieved without being upside down and rolling over as it hits the bow roller.

We use a Mantus swivel (https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/). I remove the large bolt at the shackle to separate the chain from the anchor. I figure the it won't hurt the swivel to get some anticorrosive sprayed on it.

Don't know if it is the washing, the swivel or a combination, but we've never had a twisting issue with our chain.

Good luck.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
DDW wrote;
“The size of the roller has nothing to do with it.”

Your rollers are even better but I was referring to the roller presented. In that case a bigger chain would ride higher up and higher up the V of the roller was a different shape.

But you’re right it’s all to do w the shape of the roller providing the chain isn’t too high.
However you do seem to allude that the roller high up may twist the chain if pulled from the side (at an angle). I think you’re right.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

3 strand rope has a lot of torque which varies under load. That will definitely twist the chain unless you have a good swivel. With 8 plait or all chain, those problems disappear. Also, there are self righting anchors. My Spade for example, if it encounters the roller upside down will right itself as soon as it starts over the roller.
While I have no doubt you read my post, I feel like maybe you didn't completely comprehend it.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote