Victron Multiplus 3000 acting strangely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpstan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bella Rose
Vessel Make
1991 Ocean Alexander 42' Sedan
Hi friends.

My Multiplus 3000 is inverting normally and passing shore power through to my 110v system, but three abnormal things are occurring: 1) the inverter is not recognizing shore power on my display, 2)it is not charging my house bank, and 3) as I watch my shore power voltmeter from my boat's panel, my inverter is producing a loud "clicking" sound, like a switch, and the voltmeter drops to zero for a split second when this click happens. This clicking/voltmeter drop happens about every 20 seconds. When I run my generator, my display is showing a grid source for electricity, the unit is properly charging my house bank, and there are no such clicking sounds.

Here's a video of the spectacle: https://youtu.be/cH_27vbkAVc

For now I've disconnected shore power, and am just running my refrigerator, freezer, and wifi which I use to monitor my house bank remotely. My electrician will be checking it out tomorrow but would appreciate any insights to this issue you all may have.

Thank you

When you say the inverter isn't recognizing shore power, what is the inverter status showing? Does it show input voltage? And what mode does it show as being in?

When you say the inverter isn't recognizing shore power, what is the inverter status showing? Does it show input voltage? And what mode does it show as being in?

Fair question. The video might help explain what you are asking. I'm showing 110v on my electrical panel, and all of my 110v service is working fine. On my Victron display, I usually would see a box depicting grid power coming in, and right now that box is blank. But using generator, it shows incoming electricity. The Multiplus is inverting just fine, you can also see that on the video. I'm sorry for being daft, when you ask me what mode it is in I'm not sure what you are asking

Assuming the display is a touchscreen attached to a Cerbo (or similar), if you go into the menu and then select the Multiplus it will show more information. Such as input and output voltage, whether it's a charging mode, inverting, pass-through without charging, etc. Seeing some of that may give a better idea of what's going on.

thank you.

Any thoughts on the "blinks' with voltage drop and click within the Multiplus that is occurring?

thank you.

Any thoughts on the "blinks' with voltage drop and click within the Multiplus that is occurring?

My best guess is that there's something marginal or weird about the incoming shore power. Those blinks seem a bit long for normal shore -> inverter transfer with the Multiplus though.

Any chance you are in BC right now? My buddy boat had this same problem. Every place we stopped the inverters ( two tied together) would not work on shore power, but worked fine in the states. We had to have a tech reprogram the inverters to accept a lower voltage because the voltage up here has not been high enough.. This was done remotely by a tech in Campbell River. It is now working properly.

The fact that is says "Inverting" means - if I recall correctly - that it is not using shore power and therefore would not charge. Is the analog meter you are showing in the video on the output of the Multiplus, or on the shore power side?

The Multiplus has several shore power qualifying measurements, if the shore power does not meet those it will reject shore power and invert (if the inverter is set to on). I would measure the shore power voltage and see what it really is. As was said above, you can set these limits to what you want, though I think you have to use VE Config and the USB adapter to do it. You might look in the devices menu and at the Multiplus to see what it says there.

Not sure why every 20 seconds, but a good guess is that the power looks OK but is marginal, as soon as it starts loading the shore power cord it drops below the threshold and it clicks off of it.

Not sure why every 20 seconds, but a good guess is that the power looks OK but is marginal, as soon as it starts loading the shore power cord it drops below the threshold and it clicks off of it.

That would make sense. The Multiplus does monitor the power for some number of seconds before switching over to use the new source. If it's switching to shore power and immediately failing back, that would explain the blink.

It was actually in two different Marinas: at the end of our stay in Roche Harbor, and in our Marina (Semiahmoo, Washington). We've had pretty reliable power at Semiahmoo so I don't know. I'll ask around. You guys are awesome; when my guy comes out tomorrow I'll give you a report

Check the voltage on the shore power cable and the integrity of the cable.

Tom

Could also be a severe voltage drop on the shore power feed under load. That's the kind of thing that's not evident until the load is applied.

Working a network replacement project at a school years ago, the electricians came to activate the 208V three-phase feed to the UPS units. Meter it, 208V, activate the UPS and meter it, 162V. Electricians said "we'll be back". Major corrosion at the main panel...they cleaned it up and we were back to 208V (an hour later).

Could also be a severe voltage drop on the shore power feed under load. That's the kind of thing that's not evident until the load is applied.

Working a network replacement project at a school years ago, the electricians came to activate the 208V three-phase feed to the UPS units. Meter it, 208V, activate the UPS and meter it, 162V. Electricians said "we'll be back". Major corrosion at the main panel...they cleaned it up and we were back to 208V (an hour later).

volt drop under load, very good probability. it takes a while for the inverter to do it's checks and start applying power to charge the batteries. when it does, the input voltage drops and the power no longer qualifies.
problems with the shore power cord or plugs can cause it, or like at my marina, poor quality dock wiring (overloaded circuits) is a thing. i've had to choose lower charge settings for mine to compensate.

The power supply theory is the best one I’ve heard here, but if that were the case wouldn’t my incoming power voltmeter waiver some prior to tripping? Not sure if you watched the one minute video I linked in my first post. I’m headed out later today with my marine electrician, who installed my Victron,

i didn't know there was a video, just saw it now.
i guess it depends how the power is routed to/from the inverter for it to show up on the volt meter. you do seem to have steady 115 or better voltage though. if that's measured at the inverter output it would seem unlikely that volt drop is the issue.

That is why I asked where that meter was wired. It looks like the output of the inverter, switching on and off with the clicks. If it is the input to the inverter, your shore power circuit has some serious problems somewhere.

a thought just popped into my head. do you have an isolation transformer installed? my victron isolation transformer will drop out for about that same amount of time under certain circumstances. i haven't been able yet to track it down to voltage or current issues that cause it. i suspect it's voltage as it has the auto input switch for 120/240 power.
just a thought.

There are some top notch marine electricians in your area. It would not take too long for the right guy to deduce if incoming power, wiring or the inverter itself is the culprit.

How old is your inverter? I am a firm believer in today's heavily used inverters have a shelf life. TP Brady has some pretty astute hands on Victron experience you may want to tap too.

There are some top notch marine electricians in your area. It would not take too long for the right guy to deduce if incoming power, wiring or the inverter itself is the culprit.

How old is your inverter? I am a firm believer in today's heavily used inverters have a shelf life. TP Brady has some pretty astute hands on Victron experience you may want to tap too.

So my OA42 had an original Trace inverter, which died 6m after we bought the boat which was summer of 2000. It lived for nearly 30 years! So the Victron Multiplus was installed about 18 months ago. I’ve heard the Trace inverters were solid and reliable. I have no idea how many problems it had in 30 years but this inverter has had 3 visits from my electrician for quirky things in 18 months.

I wonder if TP Brady does “telemedicine “ consultations.

I am not a doctor have not played one on TV, but I do have a Victron Multiplus. When I first read your post, my first impression was to check inbound shore power. I don't know how you switch between the generator and shore power, but in my installation, there is only one AC connection to the Multiplus that comes from the AC switch panel where I switch from shore to generator power. What ever it is, it would seem to be associated with shore power getting to the Multiplus. At that point the shore power pedastal, shore power cord, shore power inlet, the AC switching, and possibly an isolation transformer or galvanic isolator are in the chain. The easiest one to check is the shore power cord by swapping it for another one. After that your troubleshooting tool set seems to be limited to a simple volt meter, which is all I have. The most likely problem with shore power is almost always the cord.

Tom

I am not a doctor have not played one on TV, but I do have a Victron Multiplus. When I first read your post, my first impression was to check inbound shore power. I don't know how you switch between the generator and shore power, but in my installation, there is only one AC connection to the Multiplus that comes from the AC switch panel where I switch from shore to generator power. What ever it is, it would seem to be associated with shore power getting to the Multiplus. At that point the shore power pedastal, shore power cord, shore power inlet, the AC switching, and possibly an isolation transformer or galvanic isolator are in the chain. The easiest one to check is the shore power cord by swapping it for another one. After that your troubleshooting tool set seems to be limited to a simple volt meter, which is all I have. The most likely problem with shore power is almost always the cord.

Tom

Tom and almost everyone one else here nailed it. Having trouble attaching a photo of the Y adapter that plugs into my two 25A receptacles on the boat. The plug got hot and after cleaning it up, I’ve verified that everything works. Looks like the Victron saved my bacon on this one. I called off my electrician, will not use shore power for now, and plan to change to Smartplugs as soon as it can be arranged. Shall we change this thread to a Marinco smack down?? Thank you everybody

Nice to see the final outcome! Need to change the socket on the boat as well as the cord though. Glad it wasn't something more serious, and it didn't lead to more problems!

That’s a familiar sight. Those plug sets don’t hold up if you run high amperage continuously.

Tom and almost everyone one else here nailed it. Having trouble attaching a photo of the Y adapter that plugs into my two 25A receptacles on the boat. The plug got hot and after cleaning it up, I’ve verified that everything works. Looks like the Victron saved my bacon on this one. I called off my electrician, will not use shore power for now, and plan to change to Smartplugs as soon as it can be arranged. Shall we change this thread to a Marinco smack down?? Thank you everybody

Yep, love my Smartplug. Also, at Semiahmoo so was watching this thread with some interest. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom