Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vessel Name: Foto
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Updating ST5000 Autopilot to Raymarine Axiom

I’m updating my Raymarine ST5000 autopilot head so I can control the autopilot through my Raymarine Axiom MFD. My understanding is that I have to install an Evolution head and a new ACU. The existing hydraulic pump should be fine. It’s been recommended to me that I install an Evolution 150 series. Has anyone done this? I’m not sure of the differences between the 150 series and the 200 series. I don’t want to purchase the wrong gear. The boat is a Mainship Pilot 34.

I know the Axiom will connect to the ST5000 but I don’t get full control of the autopilot.

Thanks for your help.
JamieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I did exactly that on my AT34. ACU 150, Evolution. But I also have the i70p control head. I'm not sure you get complete control of the ACU 150 from an MFD, can turn it on and off etc but commissioning calibration, dampening and gain settings, not sure you can get to those. I haven't tried.

The ACU 150 will do a much better job of steering your boat in a seaway compared to the ST5000.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll check with Raymarine on the ip70 control head. They do have a package consisting of the Evolution 150, ACU 150 and ip70rs. That kinda tells me I may need the control head. Glad to hear the 150 works great on your 34. Probably don’t need to go up to the 200.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #4

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Check the size pump on the boat now. Far as I know the only difference between the EV 100 and EV150 is the pump size.
And I'd get the package. Might as well have all new. Sell the used parts.

Gotta love the way electronics mfg's won't let the new models interface with the old.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Even if it doesn’t other than great circle courses not that big a deal to have your waypoints on the MFD and just set the AP to a compass heading as you go through the waypoints. I’m always a bit nervous using autoroute so keep an eye out anyway. Some people intentionally don’t want their AP integrated into the network. They want it independent and functional even if the network or another component fails. Don’t know if the current RM system allows an independent AP or it has to be integrated to function.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I checked with Raymarine and they say that the pump that came with my 2002 ST5000 system will work fine with the EV 150 system. The pump is located in a location below decks where it is virtually impossible to reach so I am trying to get away without changing the pump.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply. It’s true that I can connect the Axiom to the old ST5000 control head but moving back and forth between the two is a bit clumsy. I am a bit of a technology nut and really enjoy using autoroutes. I want to take advantage of all the tech in the Axiom.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: US PNW
I think the Axiom PRO will do a fairly complete job of controlling the autopilot, but even if so, I would always want a dedicated control head (maybe that's just me).

The 150 and 200 are similar in capacity. The 200 will run on 24 volts as well as 12 volts; the 150 only on 12 volts. There is one other feature on the 200 that I forget what it's called, but what I remember is that someone with a Grand Banks that uses a linear drive (cable steering) needed it. If you are 12 volts and hydraulic steering, you probably want the 150.

As far as the 100 goes, that is for a smaller pump size. Basically, if you want to be sure, you need to know the cubic inch capacity of your steering ram. The pump sizes go by that. I'd be surprised if you could use the 100 at all. (That said while I'm typing in this box I can't see your boat size.) Edit: Okay, now I see, Mainship 34. I would be extremely surprised if you had a steering ram small enough to use the 100 size autopilot.

So, on the 150, I had a pump I wanted to use already (which fit into the cubic inch range of the EV-150), so I bought what Raymarine call a "core pack." This is everything but the pump and hydraulic lines, basically.

You get the ACU, the sensor, the control head, and a few Seatalk ng parts and pieces with the core pack; you supply the autopilot pump and the hydraulic lines (plus some wiring bits, obviously).

At least when I bought mine, the core pack part number was T70407
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
Guru

PS: Reason I said Axiom PRO above is that it does have better AP control than the "plain" Axiom. I'd still vastly prefer the separate control head though, and it's already included in the EV-150 Core Pack version without the pump (Raymarine T70407 was the part number when I purchased one).
Old 03-03-2021, 09:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I second Frosty’s comments. Use the Axiom Pro if you don’t plan to add the P70R. Touch screens are not the most friendly when your want to do a 2 degree course change which is easy with the P70R knob or to put the autopilot in standby. I don’t think the ST5000 control head can be connected per se to the Axiom. The course computer can using NMEA 0183. The Evolution autopilot is very good, easy to calibrate, easy to use, follows routes well, and doesn’t wander.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for all the replies. I found the T70407 EV-150 System Pack in stock locally so I am going to go with that. I’ll install the control head so I can control the AP with either the Axiom or the p70rs. I looked at the Axiom Pro but couldn’t justify the price so went with the 12” Axiom Plus. Seems to have improved touch control. I already have an Axiom 9” that I will leave installed.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #12
Guru

That's going to be a nice setup! I really like the "steering" knob on the P70rs.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:29 PM   #13

City: North Port
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
I am looking for a working st5000+ head. You or anyone have one available willing to sell?
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, evolution, raymarine