Shower Stall Floor Doesn't Drain - Fixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Thought I would share the fix I came up with for our shower floor not pitched enough to drain when the bought has no list. I don't know why this ever should have been a problem but the boat came to us this way. It has been an annoyance for five years. Every shower required a squeegee affair to get rid of the pool of water.

The fix? First, I created a list by draining one side tank of water. Then, using self-levelling epoxy tinted white, I poured it onto the floor. The list caused the epoxy to become thicker on the side I needed to create a pitch toward the drain. The drain was plugged with a rubber stopper coated with dielectric grease to prevent adhesion to the stopper. There was a little ridge around the drain hole which needed to be sanded. The surface, although very shiny, was surprisingly not slippery. Still, I sanded the surface lightly with 80 grit sandpaper which made the surface more non-slip without reducing much of the sheen which was a true surprise.

Anyway, I thought I would share in case anyone has a similar problem with which they are struggling. The process was strikingly easy.

Nice!
One of the few projects that is easier to do on the boat than a in a dirt home.

Smart idea. My shower doesn’t drain when boat level but naturally tilts to Port due to layout, which coincidentally allows shower to drain. Now I’m too lazy to transfer fuel to Starboard even though we routinely squeegee entire shower dry each time!
Different strokes.

Just took the first shower. Drains quite nicely now. After five years living aboard, we were tired of the squeegee routine.
Smart idea. My shower doesn’t drain when boat level but naturally tilts to Port due to layout, which coincidentally allows shower to drain. Now I’m too lazy to transfer fuel to Starboard even though we routinely squeegee entire shower dry each time!
Different strokes.

Absolutely brilliant.

Just painted mine with Kiwigrip - makes for a nice nonskid surface. 3 months in living aboard, good results.

Also taped off a boat profile set in the nonskid (because I could!).

Attachments

• 20200704_125804 (Medium).jpg
    20200704_125804 (Medium).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 26
I like brilliant. Thank you. My mate thinks that I am somewhat less than brilliant. She, no doubt, is incorrect.
Absolutely brilliant.

Just painted mine with Kiwigrip - makes for a nice nonskid surface. 3 months in living aboard, good results.

Also taped off a boat profile set in the nonskid (because I could!).

Back
Top Bottom