RIP Vesper Cortex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Par for the course where Garmin is involved. Buy something and then crap on it. That's their biz plan.

Vesper Cortex *not* RIP

The article says the exact opposite: "Garmin is committed to the Cortex AIS/VHF/monitoring system — which may have been too much, too soon in Vesper’s hands — and there is good reason to believe that Vesper features will appear in future Garmin AIS and VHF products."

It's the Watchmate line, including the XB-8000 that they are discontinuing.

Here is a working link to the article: https://panbo.com/garmin-shrinks-vesper-product-line-will-only-cortex-remain/

This isn't a surprise to me, as Vesper had basically abandoned the Watchmate line years ago. They never produced an updated version as Class B+ SOTDMA, for example. Once the Cortex came out, these now discontinued products had a big target on them.

DDW that is harsh. Sababa clearly read the article. Technology changes and Garmin provided excellent reasons for discontinuing some very old products. They are keeping and probably building upon Cortex. There is a reason you don't hear much about RDFs or LORAN these days. Or buggy whips.

My opinion is from long experience with Garmin over decades, doing this again and again, not a single instance. I have generally liked their products when introduced. They do not support even their own long term, nor ones they buy short term. The XB8000 for example is a far better product than Garmin produces today, even at 15 years of age.

My opinion is from long experience with Garmin over decades, doing this again and again, not a single instance. I have generally liked their products when introduced. They do not support even their own long term, nor ones they buy short term. The XB8000 for example is a far better product than Garmin produces today, even at 15 years of age.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Our current boat had fairly new Garmin electronics in it when we bought the boat. I ripped it out and replaced it with Raymarine. I have had excellent support from Raymarine ove the last 20+ years.

To be clear, I’m not thrilled with Garmin taking over Vesper even if they plan to continue supporting and developing Cortex, which I have. Reminds me of when I installed a bunch of Nest thermostats and smoke detectors only to have them bought by Google. Not what I signed up for.

So, if one wanted to buy an AIS tranceiver today, what would be a good choice? I have Garmin equipment.

So, if one wanted to buy an AIS tranceiver today, what would be a good choice? I have Garmin equipment.

I just had to confront that question for a package for my new build. I can't promise its the right answer, but its the answer I went with.

Since the general wisdom is to pick a brand, and then go with the component pieces for that brand, that's what I did. You can try to mix and match brands but the possibility is that issues arise.

I happened to pick Simrad, but the point is the same.

I am not convinced the Simrad VHF would be my pick if you just look at that as solo gear. In fact, my conclusion was that for each important component one brand may excel in one, and a different brand on the next. The choice becomes overall package vs overall package.

So with that logic, it becomes just pick whatever the best Garmin has to offer.

For what its worth.

I have the Garmin AIS 800 and am quite happy with it.

I really do like the Cortex and am generally happy with the purchase despite the Garmin takeover. The touch handset can be a little awkward for simple radio communications, and I’ve had problems with the until going offline while I am away from the boat that support has been responsive so far in helping me troubleshoot. I love the anchor watch as well as the ability to monitor my boat remotely when it works.

Any electronics I buy, I use. A lot. I want whatever works best for me. Most manufacturers have some good devices, and some not-so-good. I've been known to scrap a working device and replace it with another brand with features I prefer. To me, that's better than the aggravation of having to use a sub-par device every single day.

Long story short: I'm not a believer in the "stick with one brand" strategy. I may be an outlier. I strongly suspect most boaters don't really bother to learn how to use their electronic devices in any depth. For them, that strategy may apply. It may also work for people who mostly run just one boat, and get accustomed to the quirks of their own brand. Unfortunately, I have to be familiar with all of them, so I sort of know what's available, and what's most convenient for me.

Last edited:
Any electronics I buy, I use. A lot. I want whatever works best for me. Most manufacturers have some good devices, and some not-so-good. I've been known to scrap a working device and replace it with another brand with features I prefer. To me, that's better than the aggravation of having to use a sub-par device every single day.

Long story short: I'm not a believer in the "stick with one brand" strategy. I may be an outlier. I strongly suspect most boaters don't really bother to learn how to use their electronic devices in any depth. For them, that strategy may apply.

Seconded. Staying in the brand family makes sense for some things, but VHF and AIS are standard enough devices that I'd rather have a better one than a brand matching one. Same with autopilots to a degree.

Back
Top Bottom