Replacement for Pathfinder Seatalk GPS Antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
I have a Pathfinder RL70 Radar, L1250 Sounding, Chartplotter, & Autopilot Seatalk, NMEA, HSB system. I have a Raytheon GPS Antenna that looks like a big beer can with "GPS" molded into the outside of the cover.

I am getting a "No Fix" on my chart plotter. I found deteriorated wires directly under the antenna at the top of the pipe used for a mount.

1. Can I open the GPS Antenna and re-attach "cleaned-up" wires? If so, how do I get access to the wire attachment points?

2. Are there other used Seatalk GPS Antennas that I might find on E-Bay that would be simple replacements? If so, what models would you recommend?

3. If I replace the antenna with an NMEA antenna, would I lose any of the functionality across my network that I have with the Raytheon Seatalk Antenna.

Thanks for your help.

You haven't specified which antenna you have. If it's a Raystar 120 (no LED on top), they're hardwired with the wire attached permanently to the antenna and a little harder to repair a bad wire if it's close to the antenna. If it's a Raysrar 125 with an LED on top, they use a plug under the antenna so maybe the wire can be repaired or simply unplugged & replaced.
In either case, don't try to remove the antenna by unscrewing it from the mount. That will surely damage the cable. Remove the 2 screws from the underside of the antenna and lift the top half of the antenna off of the bottom mount half.
A nmea antenna will work but you'll need a nmea in/out pigtail thats on the back of the RL, if it's not there now. You might loose a few features like satellite status and the ability to reboot the antenna but nothing too important.

I think the stuff he has predates the Raystar 120 by a good margin. There are plenty of Raymarine 120 or 125 on eBay on any given week. I have one on my upper deck that I'd give you, except it is covering the wiring hole.

Depending on your chartplotter module, most likely any GPS puck with NMEA 0183 output will work, and the chartplotter will make it available on the ST1 network.

Raytheon Seatalk GPS wiring issue & Replacement

Thanks for your comments.

I cannot identify the GPS Antenna I have. I have searched on-line and on the Raytheon site and none of the legacy GPS look like mine.

It is shaped like a barrel about 6" tall and 3" across. The top screws off and the bottom screws onto a threaded (approx) 1" pipe.

The wires from the GPS are connected to the Seatalk cables from each of my control displays.

I think it is older than the 120.

So, if I understand, the 120 or 125 use the original Seatalk protocols. I know if I go to a 130 or 150 I have to employ a Seatalk to Seatalking adapter.

And, the NMEA 0183 alternative will support the many Pathfinder systems integration features.

Again, thanks for your help. I know this is older technology and Raymarine no longer supplies the repair parts, but the system has great features and I hope to continue using it.

I just found a replacement "144" Power/NMEA cable for my Radar
control Display, RL70, on e-Bay, so it will live another day.

I think the stuff he has predates the Raystar 120 by a good margin. There are plenty of Raymarine 120 or 125 on eBay on any given week. I have one on my upper deck that I'd give you, except it is covering the wiring hole.

Depending on your chartplotter module, most likely any GPS puck with NMEA 0183 output will work, and the chartplotter will make it available on the ST1 network.

Oops! You're right! I missed the "beer can" size description it the original post.

Back
Top Bottom