Red pop-out 12v fuse holders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PacificStar

My 12v panel uses pop out red fuses holders for bilge pumps in my 1998 Krogen Express.

Something is amiss, when I replace a fuse in two of the circuits, fuses to not connect. Has anyone had this issue? How did you solve it?

Access is poor so I can’t see if there is corrosion, but the holder itself is shiny.

My next step is to insert fuses with contact cleaner applied.

Stumped …

PS I broke off one of the clips that keeps the holder in place!

Check that the clips on the hot side actually are getting voltage. Check that the ground side is actually working.

Are you using the correct capacity fuse? Just because it was in there does not mean it is adequate. Find out what it protects and check that the fuse is correct for that load.

I have had fuse holder clips get loose especially if they are light duty clips. The fuse should not be easily pulled or inserted or the clips may be doing a lousy job of making proper and secure contact at each end.

Using a VM and extension wires with alligator clips, clip across the holder contacts and operate what it protects and watch the meter. There should be virtually NO V drop showing. If there is then you have a poor clip setup. Tighten the clips and see if that helps. If not then remove and clean or replace.

As for seeing have you tried a small mirror and a flashlight. If may take some carefull aiming to see but I have done that many times but usually you can see the contact areas.

Do you use a fuse puller? Fuses should not be easily removed by fingers.
Get a proper fuse puller from an auto parts store. If they are easily removed then I suggest the clips are poor.
The broken one indicated poor or abuse.

Pop-out

Hi Thanks, Good suggestions but my panel has a pop out fuse holder see photo so they don’t work for me.
Thanks again, Chuck

Pop out fuse

See photo

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 32
Hi Thanks, Good suggestions but my panel has a pop out fuse holder see photo so they don’t work for me.
Thanks again, Chuck

In that instance, put you volt meter on the fuse holders incoming power terminal or solder connection, then check against ground to verify power is present, and then check to the pump switch to check for voltage drop through the fuse holder. As mentioned, if there’s voltage showing from the fuse holder to the switch power wire, the fuse holder is suspect.

Thanks. I haven’t explained well enough … I’m hoping to find someone with the same panel setup and pop out fuse holders who has similar experience or knowledge if the circuitry inside.

I can interchange fuse holders and fuses in different pump circuit slots. Some fuse holders work fine in some slots. I have poor access behind the panel, and I can’t see inside from the front, even with my endoscope. I assuming there is some kind of failure mode that I am experiencing.

I shall endeavor to persevere.

Thanks again,
Chuck

To remove the individual fuse holders, first shut off all power to the entire panel, then you remove the screws that mount the entire panel (about 6 or 8) and pull the panel forward gently, hoping all the time that the installer left enough wire length to allow servicing of the panel.

Once access is obtained you may discover that the fuse holders are these.

https://sea-dog.com/groups/108-agc-fuse-holder-with-push-in-cap

If so, you will likely get advice to change them all to push on (spade) connector ones as these are a solder only wiring connection, which is not compliant with ABYC. The choice to do so is yours.

Do not use push on connectors on these, please.

If the existing solder connection and the wire itself is still in good shape and there is power at one of the fuse's wiring connections (usually the base one) you have another option.

Sea dog seems to make a replacement insert as shown here.

https://sea-dog.com/groups/1801-replacement-red-insert-for-fuse-holder

Perhaps a couple of new ones will fix you problem. You may not even need to remove the panel to install these.

That being said the fact that these inserts exist tells me that they are a consumable part, which does not instill a lot of confidence in the original design.

If it was me, I would change them all out with a fuse holder that that uses push on terminals, fits the same size hole and is rated at 15, not 10 Amps.
Like this.

https://sea-dog.com/groups/112-agc-round-fuse-holder-spade-terminal

But that is just me.

Thanks Luna, next step is to pull the panel out and have a look and some measurements.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Problem solved!

Well, much to my surprise, all 12v glass fuses are not the same! My pop out fuse holders are designed for an SFE-14 size glass fuse (1/4 x 1 1/16”), and I was trying the more common SFE-20 (1/4 x 1 1/4). All good now! Thanks to those who offered assistance, it is very much appreciated.
Chuck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom