Rear view camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ploschiavo

Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
2018 Helmsman 38E
Our Helmsman 38 has zero visibility aft. The nav system has a rear view camera, but it requires that the screen show just the view to the rear, so no nav chart. Obviously, this is not good underway.
Has anyone installed a full time aft view video system, and if so, could you share your thoughts?
I’m thinking a small TV screen mounted to one side of the helm would be really nice.
Thanks!

I have zero rear vis from my pilot house. I installed a 6 camera Lorex DVR system from Costco, around $399. In addition to 1 rear view I have 2 in engine room, 1 on the mast looking forward and 1 each in saloon and pilot house. Feed to a dedicated TV in the pilot house. Not only solved my rear view view issue but provides security. I have full remote access with no fees. Couldn't be happier. I also use the TV for my laptop or entertainment when not underway.

Or just add a second MFD for the camera. Advantage is more versatile and is a backup plotter. When the backup camera isn’t needed you could use the second plotter for radar display or depth.

My MFD is a Garmin 8616. The camera is a GC 200 that I use primarily for backing into the slip. I use a split screen with the camera image on the top and the Assisted Docking panel on the bottom. Most MFDs can have multiple split screen configurations.

I am working on a full camera system for my Garmin 8617's . Made by Iris inovations. I have a post going. In the build process now.

Look up
Camera System
https://www.boat-cameras.com/

Have a decent rear view from the cameras but it’s different than seeing it with your own eyeballs. With binocular direct vision I get a real good idea of distances immediately. The camera view is a flat 2 dimensional view. With my eyes I automatically scan. My camera doesn’t and even if it did it would be so much slower. My eyes tell me how far my sides and rear corners are from things in a fraction of a second.
I wish there was a small box on the camera view that gave a distance readout. Or something like the multiple sounds and lines you get in a modern car/truck when backing up. Sticking your head out the pilot house door while underway on AP to look back isn’t a biggie. But it when docking that I find rear view camera(s) are deficient.
Has anyone found and installed a rear view system that gives you a good sense of distances? I can’t justify the expense of a Dockmaster.

I bought a RV backup camera.

Easy peasy, wireless, and works perfect.

I have a H38, and have a camera.

Part of what you need to think about is mounting location.

Mine is at the very top of the cabin bulkhead adjacent to the door. From that angle you can’t see the swim platform corners.

I prefer to step outside.

I can use the camera in a split screen on my Simrad MFD.

Have an inexpensive unit from Pyle Works pretty well!

Attachments

• 3piysnk3.jpg
    3piysnk3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
I bought a RV backup camera.

Easy peasy, wireless, and works perfect.

Kevin, I did the same, a wireless one, but I did not know it must have a dedicated receiver like smartphone or PC, which then removes internet.
Is yours the same or?

Have an inexpensive unit from Pyle Works pretty well!
Hi John, Can you give me a link to that system?
We have a rear camera and an 8" screen on Kaloa, with secondary cameras looking at the swim platform and the engine room. But the monitor is too small for doing anything other than seeing a WA State ferry about to run you over or noticing smoke in the engine room. Our new H38S will have a camera outputting to the MFD at the helm, but I don't like sacrificing that navigational real estate on a permanent basis.

Ric, Pretty sure mine only has a 9" monitor. Like the one in Martin J s Amazon link above. I think they have larger monitors also found on Amazon. Sorry I can not be more specific, but all my product manuals are on the boat. And alas we are at our house.

We use Wyze cameras, wirelessly tied into our boat network. They have worked very well for us. The camera inside is used as a security camera, though it also offers a view out under way. I pay the roughly $30 a year for alerts on that one. The other two Wyze cameras are battery powered and used for navigation so I don’t have them tied to a plan. All are visible both on and off the boat through the app if you have a network. I view them on a IPad, IPhone, and Sailproof tablet. There is a little latency, but it hasn’t been a problem for us.

Attachments

• IMG_5020.jpeg
    IMG_5020.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5021.png
    IMG_5021.png
    937.9 KB · Views: 12
@Helmsman
How do you view away from the boat. I know the app, but how do you connect on board to the net
I have a Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G router.

Last year, I used a Starlink flat panel, home port WiFi, and marina WiFi’s . This year I have added a T Mobile Sim which is $50 a month with unlimited GB’s and have retired the Starlink temporarily. When I head to the gulf later this year I will “un-retire” the Starlink. I may activate the Starlink angain later this summer if I run in to spotty areas again. I can also use the IPhone AT&T hot spot with the Pepwave when on board.

The Pepwave has quite a few handy features that enable a connection to any or all of the above. It will select the best signal, and if you need it for business, can smooth transfers between multiple sources, so that you don’t lose connectivity. The Cerbo GX and the Vesper also communicate through the Pepwave, allowing for boat monitoring. All of the clients on the boat connect through the Pepwave, which helps avoid logging in multiple stops along the way.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom