Raymarine MDF necessary? Software headache.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I am installing my new AP.
Raymarine EV1, ACU400, i70s, p70Rs, RS150, RAY73. It is going slow, but I have progress. My dilemma is the software. STng backbone connects them all, but my chart plotter is Garmin. I connect the Garmin to the backbone with nmea2000 adapter. RM support tells me that I need an MDF to update the software on these units. I understand that connecting the Garmin plotter will give me only limited communications. So it cannot be used as an MDF. It is a great plotter and I wish to keep it. Garmin allows me to do updates with SD cards.
Has anyone found a solution to update the RM software without an MDF? I would hate to spend over 1K dollars, just to be able to update the software. Thanks.

Everyone's update protocols over NMEA2000 are proprietary, so you would need a Raymarine MFD. The cheapest one is the Axiom 7 which can be had for <$500.

On communication, I'd think a reasonably modern plotter from Garmin would be able to display any standard N2K data.

I just removed a Garmin suite and went with Axiom+. In your case with all the Raymarine equipment I would just bite the bullet and buy a nice Axiom. It will make your life a lot easier in the long run.

If your goal is just updating software then an older generation RM MFD would be adequate. A65 (6" display) are still available , used on EBay.

I got a small Axiom+ for $420 or so without charts. Could you use a redundant MDF somewhere on board? I agree it's probably best just to bite the bullet - that's where I ended up after getting my Raymarine AP.

It's also really nicely integrated. Great to be able to set the course on the MDF and have the AP just magically take you there, correcting for wind, current, etc.

I did bite the bullet. I ordered the 7”Axiom. It should be here tomorrow.
There goes the AIS transceiver, which was next inline to buy. It never ends.
It will be a huge difference to have an AP. Till today, I had no depth sounder, no rudder indicator, and my wheel is 8 turns end to end. Standing at the wheel for all day for a day trip is not fun. This will change now, if everything works together.

I think you will enjoy it. Good luck with the install.

Everything is installed and updated. I have not done the calibration out at sea. I have to organize wires in the pilot house.
The MDF looks good, but I don’t like the map on the screen. The other chart plotter looks better. I might need to purchase other map packages. Or, the map setup has more features I don’t know about.

If you did not put a chart chip in you are probably looking at the builtin charts. They are not detailed charts.

If you did not put a chart chip in you are probably looking at the builtin charts. They are not detailed charts.

I see. It did not come with any chip. Do I buy those, or can it be downloaded?

You can buy a preloaded chart chip or just buy a chip and download the charts onto it. Raymarine.com has the charts for sale.

I have C-Map Pro on my iPad. Officially I can download it to five devices. I wonder, if this can be applied to my Axiom?

It seems like you've solved it already, but I'd wonder if there's a USB-bus adapter that would let you use a PC connected to the network to do the updates instead of a full MFD? There are various USB-N2K adapters out there.

It seems like you've solved it already, but I'd wonder if there's a USB-bus adapter that would let you use a PC connected to the network to do the updates instead of a full MFD? There are various USB-N2K adapters out there.

Since I bought the MDF, I was able to do the updates using Bluetooth. All peripherals are updated with the latest software. Everything functions, but I have not done the autopilot calibration yet. Hopefully soon.

Congrats on the upgrade. I just installed a bunch of Raymarine gear & think it mostly flawless. Have worked a LOT with both in the past (Garmin in aviation) and I am a solid Raymarine advocate. Yet, I use the Navionics charts. Perhaps Lighthouse is as good, but familiarity with Navionics from the phone app swayed me.

Raymarine's done a good job integrating with both chart databases, and a superiior job with the user interface although like IOS/Android, you can make your head conform to either.

Maybe. Call them and see.

I did. They do not sell it. It needs to be purchased directly from C-MAP. iPad version does not work on plotters. They send you the sdcard after you pay. Prices are between 300-400 dollars per region.

You can get a Raychart sdcard that covers all of the US and Canada for about $150.

You can get a Raychart sdcard that covers all of the US and Canada for about $150.

Thanks. I still have my Garmin plotter. I bought the latest sdcard for it not long ago, so I am not in the hurry. I will need from pnw to Hawaii at one point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom