Painting Radome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serene

Vessel Name
Serene
Vessel Make
Blue Seas 36
I will be replacing my older Raymarine RD218 2kW radome at some stage in the future, but while it is off the boat during the refit I am doing, I am tempted to give it a tidy up with a coat of paint.

Have done some searches and all I can find is a statement that says, "don't use metallic based paint", but no real detail.

Has anybody painted their radome that can give me some advice?

I have not painted a radome but most spray can paints would likely be ok. When I am painting plastic items on the boat I use Quantum 2 part polyurethane paint. I paint things like new loud hailer horns before I put them on the boat the first time. It stops them from turning yellow in the sun. It is expensive but yellow plastic things drives me nuts…

My neighbor in Lake Union (m/y Canim) painted his radar black. Nice looking! What you said about the metallic paints make sense though, but you have a lot to choose from. I repainted my entire Mercury outboard with gloss black spray paint from Rustoleum (Home Depot stuff) and it came out looking fantastic. Lots of prep went into it first of course.

Yes the white plastic radome is yellowing, chalky and the Raymarine stickers peeling off, so thought a touch-up was in order.

I don't want to go crazy with the effort as it will be replaced sometime next year and it will be painted white. I would be concerned black would make the electronics inside too hot and anyway black wouldn't suit my boat.

Thanks for the feedback.

@Serene, after you paint it (I assume) white, spend a few bucks at a sign shop and have some vinyl lettering with your boat's name printed up. Custom!

We painted all of ours in the Navy.

Just about any two-part epoxy should be good to go.

@Serene, after you paint it (I assume) white, spend a few bucks at a sign shop and have some vinyl lettering with your boat's name printed up. Custom!

Good idea. Didn't think of that. Was going to just leave it white with no graphics.

Good idea. Didn't think of that. Was going to just leave it white with no graphics.

I have seen ones that are just all white and don’t think they look very good. I would either put the boat name or get new decals from the manufacturer.

Have bought the radar home today and will paint it over the holidays. Will post pics and an update when I get it done. Thanks for the feedback.

Just coming back to this thread to close it out. I sanded both the radar and the TV antenna, sprayed them with a plastic primer and then three coats of white.

They are back on the boat now and instead of replacing the Raymarine logos, I added the vessel name.

The mast was also painted, along with the radar bracket being sand blasted and powder coated when the dinghy davits were done.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 8
Here she is emerging from the shed on launch day. Still working on canvas replacement, cleaning the teak decks, filling some of the seams and polishing the stainless railings.

Attachments

• IMG_3005 (1).jpg
    IMG_3005 (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
Wow - she looks awesome!

Congrats!

You did a great job, looks perfect.

So much nicer seeing your boat's name up there rather than advertising Raymarine. Great job!

Underwater hull condition looks very good!

Underwater hull condition looks very good!

There were a few osmosis blisters that I had ground out, left to dry, then glassed and epoxy barrier coated.

I knew about them from the pre-purchase survey. There were only about five blisters the size of a 20c piece, but given I was out of the water for a few months, thought I would get them fixed.

“They are back on the boat now and instead of replacing the Raymarine logos, I added the vessel name.”
Great idea to add vessels name,looks great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom