Open CPN GPS issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvarholy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Julie
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 43
In need of help. I have been using Open CPN on a rugged laptop for years. The Open CPN suddenly was not working correctly, so I updated to a later version. Now, everything works, except the GPS, which was working before the update. The GPS unit is embedded into my computer. I don't know what else to try, and have no way to change everything back? I am not an IT expert.

Daniel

In need of help. I have been using Open CPN on a rugged laptop for years. The Open CPN suddenly was not working correctly, so I updated to a later version. Now, everything works, except the GPS, which was working before the update. The GPS unit is embedded into my computer. I don't know what else to try, and have no way to change everything back? I am not an IT expert.

Daniel

Do you have another program installed to see if the GPS is functioning? In Windows device manager is the GPS seen -- enabled?

Thanks, Just can't figure it out. I don't understand baud rates, COM ports, or NMEA stuff. Just have to buy a replacement and start over.

Daniel

What model laptop? That'd help knowing. If it has GPS 'embedded' then it's going to be likely appear as some sort of COM port. All you likely need do is find that port and tell OpenCPN to use it for GPS. COM ports on Windows can be a tricky thing if you change/remove/add ports (like via USB connections). I wouldn't think an 'embedded' unit would change it's COM port... but without knowing the make/model of the laptop it'd hard to say.

It's not much to understand and certainly better than introducing the potential for a whole slew of other problems going with a 'replacement'.

Daniel
Thanks, Just can't figure it out. I don't understand baud rates, COM ports, or NMEA stuff. Just have to buy a replacement and start over.

Daniel

I've not set up OpenCPN on a computer with embedded GPS. I have however set it up on several tablets and phones with built in GPS. Hopefully because your GPS is built in it will be this simple.

Settings (The gear icon)
Connections tab

If you see the built in GPS check the enable box

If you don't see the built in GPS click the "Add Connection" button. You should not need com port, baud rate or anything because the GPS is built in. If OpenCPN worked on your computer before it will work now, you won't need to buy anything new unless something in the hardware broke. As someone else suggest try something else that uses GPS to verify the GPS is working. Google Maps is an easy one.

If you sitll don't get anywhere try heading over to CruisersForum and post your questions in the OpenCPN forum. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/ Lots of OpenCPN and computer experts theres.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Another idea. Rose Point's Coastal Explorer had the easiest to use navigation instrument setup I've ever seen. Download their trial version https://www.rosepoint.com/coastal-explorer/download and let Coastal Explorer find your built in GPS automatically, or any other insturment you have attached. Note the connection details and enter them into OpenCPN's connection setup.

Do be sure that you are ready to put in the effort to sort this out before the 10 day trial ends.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Daniel

My external GPS gets to Open Cap through one of the USB ports. When I plugged teh USB into a different port, no matter what I tried, OC couldn't find it. I then plugged the GPS into each port serially, until OC found it. Now I know!

Maybe you can find it by selecting at your "device driver". Try all possible selections serially till it shows up.

Last edited:
Start->Run->devmgmt.msc and that will bring up the Device Manager.

In that list of devices, expand and look for the GPS unit. It'd likely be under Ports (COM & LPT) or Universal Serial Bus controllers. That and look for anything marked with a warning icon (yellow ! triangle) or stuff lumped in the ? Other devices group.

If nothing obvious shows up there's also a View menu->Show hidden devices option. That'll reveal any other devices the system has had configured in the past.

Be mindful not to enable/disable things here unless you REALLY understand what you're doing. You can end up crippling your machine if you disable something it needs to operate.

Very likely your built in GPS is a serial device same as if it was remote. It will be assigned a COM port which you can find in the Device Manager and then you need to setup a connection in OCPN for that port.

Tangentially, how old is the laptop? Might there be GPS rollover issues with the GPS unit? I ran into that with an FA-50 AIS unit in my boat. Mine needed a firmware update to correct how it handles the way GPS timestamps cycle over time.

Thanks for all of the replies. It started working again and I don't really know why. Am afraid to adjust anything that might cause it to "mess up" again. This waterproof laptop is now 14 years old.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom