My trail of electronic breadcrumbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
In anticipation of pending change of ownership of the good ship Seeadler, I need to tidy up the communications devices:

AIS
VHF comm radio
406 MHz aviation locator
Garmin InReach

I have closed my Garmin account and they no longer bill me. Although I do still have a sign-in and a "page", I seem to have succeeded in deleting my emergency notifications

I have navigated the FCC pages using MMSI, and can read my AIS page, but I can't find any means to delete my ownership.

Same for my required VHF station license

I recall transferring the EPIRB from airplane to boat, but now I can't find it either.

All this gear is included in the purchase, but I need to convert to"not mine, don't call me."Any guidance?

PROGRESS:
Using something called FCC license manager, I have disassociated my name (and FRN) from the VHF comm license.

You don’t delete ownership. Number stays with the boat. You transfer MMSI number to the new owner.

You don’t delete ownership. Number stays with the boat. You transfer MMSI number to the new owner.

Thanks, very useful; I should have realized that.

I'm still searching for the means to execute that change.

EPIRB quest also still on. :blush:

You cancel the ships station license with the FCC. The new owner would take out their own ships station license, and can request the existing MMSI.

I actually reset my VHF MMSIs, and cleared all the AIS programming before transfer of the boat. Otherwise chances are very good that the new owner won't do it. There are still a few other "Tanglewoods" floating around, all with new owners, new names, but programming that was never updated.

Personally, I now make reprogramming it a contractual obligation for the new owner when I sell a boat.

Also don't forget to de-register, or transfer any software licenses for nav software, monitoring software, etc.

You cancel the ships station license with the FCC. The new owner would take out their own ships station license, and can request the existing MMSI

...cleared all the AIS programming before transfer of the boat. .

Just the info I am seeking. Wandering in the wilderness of the FCC's online presence, I am able to see the AIS and my name associated. Precisely what I wish to disassociate.

As I am the first of Seeadler's owners to install AIS, I left it to the vendor to do the programming. Is there a way for me to "deprogram?" Question is particularly germane, as I will be travelling the 450 miles to visit the boat briefly tomorrow and Tuesday.

Personally, I now make reprogramming it a contractual obligation for the new owner when I sell a boat.
A little late, as the money is now in escrow. :facepalm:

Also don't forget to de-register, or transfer any software licenses for nav software, monitoring software, etc.
Shouldn't be a problem as I've been using Coastal Explorer on a PC, which will guide my home office should I ever wish to take it to Vancouver.:socool:

Well this is a depressing thread. I've looked at that listing I don't know how many times trying to estimate what it would cost to drag that beautiful boat up and over the Rockies. In fact I sent my father a link to the listing just this morning to ask him what he thought. Probably a pipe dream, terribly impractical to even consider it I know, we'd have to sell our current boat, etc., but I love the looks of that boat. It would be odd to have that boat bobbing in fresh water with cornfields in the distance though, kind of out of place I suppose. Something wouldn't feel quite right about it maybe, even if it would be temporary. The new owner will be a lucky guy.

And then aside from the boat itself it makes me uncomfortably aware of how fast time flies, but that's another topic. Carpe diem. You're always welcome on our boat, and when we launch ours into the deep cold waters of Lake Superior and sail out of Duluth into the world in a few years, you have a standing invitation. I hope the new owner doesn't change the name. If Neptune ever does get angry, that would be a good reason.

Rats.

Well this is a depressing thread. I've looked at that listing I don't know how many times trying to estimate what it would cost to drag that beautiful boat up and over the Rockies. In fact I sent my father a link to the listing just...

Carpe diem.

Rats.

Karl,
I literally can't count the times you and the boys were invited... As I recall, you even passed on the trip to Prince William Sound.:socool:

Last edited:
I've looked at that listing I don't know how many times trying to estimate what it would cost to drag that beautiful boat up and over the Rockies. In fact I sent my father a link to the listing just this morning to ask him what he thought.

The new owner will be a lucky guy.

Would'a' made you a good price.:D

Karl,
I literally can't count the times you and the boys were invited... As I recall, you even passed on the trip to Prince William Sound.:socool:

That's true, took far longer than we ever expected to get them grounded and turn them into normalized boat kids. They couldn't even swim when we met them, sank like rocks in a swimming pool. Now Matt can run the dinghy himself and Nick changes the outboard fuel filter because only he can squeeze into the space, but it was a long slog. But still, I should have ditched all the competing stuff and just grabbed the invitations. If you wait until timing is perfect it never will be.

As I am the first of Seeadler's owners to install AIS, I left it to the vendor to do the programming. Is there a way for me to "deprogram?" Question is particularly germane, as I will be travelling the 450 miles to visit the boat briefly tomorrow and Tuesday.

Yes if it's class A, no if it's class B. Depending on the model, it will have to go back to the manufacturer or a service dealer for re-programming. If you really want it changed, get the new owners info and make it happen yourself. VHF(s) will need to have the MMSI cleared or reprogrammed, and the AIS will have to be reprogrammed.

This is where people complain about not being able to programm this stuff themselves, and it's a legitimate complaint. But people have proven unequivocally that they can't be relied on the program these things correctly. For example, I'm currently docked next to a 750m long Defever. I didn't know they made them that big.

Back
Top Bottom