Micro Commander issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easternshore

Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Beneteau Flyer 12
We have micro commander units on our Mainship Pilot 34, twin Yanmar 4LHA-STPs and after starting the starboard engine the M/C unit is giving a long alarm tone, the error code is 50 a failure to communicate with the engine. Can't seem to find the issue and would appreciate any input on where to look. The error code states its can be insufficient voltage or bad component. No new electrical work other than new radar and battery charger but she ran find for a few days after the installation. We took a short one hour cruise, anchored for lunch and after starting for the return trip the alarm kicked in and runs continuously as long as the starboard engine is running. We have full control of the engine and transmission but don't want to run the stbrd engine until we can locate the cause of the alarm. The port engine runs fine, no issues with that engine.
Thx,

Could be over/under voltage, could be a cabling/connector issue. Look first were changes were made during radar/charger installation. Measure voltage on the control unit when it alarms.

I'm out of town until Monday night, but I have the same controllers and have the original manuals. If you don't have manuals and think it would be helpful, call me Monday around 6pm west coast time and I'll go thru the manuals with you. As I recall there's a decent diagnostic and troubleshooting portion in there.
If that would be helpful, you can PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Mainship issued a service bulletin about voltage problems caused by a bad relay. See attached. I also think that ZF has a more comprehensive fix that involves installing a different relay.

Many problems over the years have been caused by this bad relay. I had one incident on my 34T trawler when the transmission abruptly shifted to neutral underway. Shutting down and restarting the engine resolved it.

Some have given up on the ZF Mathers Microcommander and either switched to another brand or converted to simple cables.

David

Attachments

• MainshipBulletin06_174_1.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 34
After a VERY brief relationship with the Micro-Commander on my smallish single engine Mainship Pilot 30, I ripped the whole awkward piece of junk out and replaced with Morse (SeaStar) controls for clutch and throttle. Sold it on eBay for the cost of the new installation. Zero sum, and I have a lot of room in the engine compartment for spare fluids where that MC box was. MC might make sense on larger vessels, but here it was technology for technology's sake rather than any real advantage.

A friend with Mathers (2014 build) recently had problems with one of his transmissions dropping into gear unexpectedly. Voltage was highly variable whereas the other controller was rock steady. ZF/Mathers informed there is a common issue with corrosion on the head in the helm controller. Not exactly repairable. Replacement was $1400 plus install which was straightforward

Helm controls are about $400 for single lever, $650 for twin.

A friend with Mathers (2014 build) recently had problems with one of his transmissions dropping into gear unexpectedly. Voltage was highly variable whereas the other controller was rock steady. ZF/Mathers informed there is a common issue with corrosion on the head in the helm controller. Not exactly repairable. Replacement was $1400 plus install which was straightforward

Helm controls are about $400 for single lever, $650 for twin.
All I can tell you is what he said he paid. I've known him for 25 years and he's not prone to hyperbole. Might be a larger unit- he has a 52 foot horizontal power car with a pair of large Cummins

The issue is communication with the other engine actuator, used for synchronization. Identify the cable between the two processors and check for damage or disconnection.

Thanks, receive long continuous alarm, changed solenoids to original Cole Hersee 24117-01 units JIC it was the BEP brand 85 amp solenoids replaced in 2019. Still same issue, wen starting stbrd engine I receive the continuous long alarm and M/C error code 50, failure to communicate, cleaned Deutsch connectors. Interesting as the engine starts and runs fine, can operate the boat but won't due to the alarm. Have one new mechanic to test next week before i consider replacing both M/C units with cables. Claret run fine, cruised from Vero Beach to Sebastian, anchored, had lunch, on return trip alarm sounded.
Thank you for your reply,
near wits end, Ed

Note to all who replied, thank you, a brief update as of yesterday 4/3/21:
Thanks, still receive long continuous alarm after starting stbrd engine (Yanmar 4LHA-STP, 500 hours), port engine runs fine, changed solenoids to original Cole Hersee 24117-01 units JIC it was the BEP brand 85 amp solenoids replaced in 2019. Still same issue, when starting stbrd engine I receive the continuous long alarm and M/C error code 50, failure to communicate, cleaned Deutsch connectors. Interesting as the engine starts and runs fine, can operate the boat but won't due to the alarm. Have one new mechanic to test next week before i consider replacing both M/C units with cables.

We had the oil filters changed, new oil, same with both fuel filters, replaced trans filters and fluid, new Yanmar coolant. New battery charger and radar installed, she ran just fine with no issues or alarm after those changes until a week later.

Claret ran fine, cruised from Vero Beach to Sebastian, anchored, had lunch, on return trip alarm sounded.

Thank you all for your reply,
nearing wits end, Ed :banghead:

Micro Commander update, I have met the enemy and it was me.

Thanks again for all of the valuable input on my M/C alarm issue, turns out I was part of the problem. I’ve kept a few old Four Seasons Hotel matchbooks from the past business travel as some had interesting life quotes, one that comes to mind is “What we see depends on mainly what we look for.” I saw a M/C problem.

After a 1 hour cruise to Sebastian we dropped the hook, had lunch. We later pulled the hook and began our return to Vero, a few minutes into the trip I heard a long uninterrupted alarm while at the helm. As I had a past gremlin with the M/C controller which turned out to be corrosion at one of the Deutsch connectors I thought I was hearing the M/C alarm. In fact, I “knew” it must be the M/C alarm, what else could it be, all gauges looked good. I should have realized it was something different as when there is an issue with the M/C it usually drops the engine back to idle and shifts to neutral. Not so that time but I shut down the stbrd engine and returned using the port engine just knowing it was the M/C. At the marina I fired up the stbrd engine and looked at the M/C controller box, I saw an error code 50 which is a failure to communicate. Well that’s above my paygrade so I called my diesel mechanic, described my “M/C problem” and asked for his help.

Long story short, he could never find the problem with the M/C unit and in fairness to him he did state he wasn’t very familiar with the electronic units but would look to see what was causing the alarm. I was finally able to connect with Control Masters Marine Systems in St Augustine, they know the M/C units inside & out. Ed, the tech/owner, was very helpful, he asked a few basic questions, like is your computer plugged in type questions. He asked was I sure it was the M/C alarm as I said it was coming from the helm station. There are two alarms and they sound similar, be sure I knew what alarm was I hearing. He also said error code 50 means one controller cannot communicate with the other controller, easy fix, power up both breakers simultaneously to reset, naturally both engines need to be powered up, if one is not it can’t be seen, thus error code 50 wasn’t the problem.

Ed further stared if the alarm is from helm station and not the M/C control it is the engine, look at oil pressure, water pump, water temp etc. Well, it was coming from the helm station not the M/C control, an engine problem. When I told the mechanic it wasn’t the M/C he found the cause. One of the drip tubes was missing from a drain cock allowing a slow drip onto the oil pressure alarm switch and the alarm. Interesting as the gauges showed good oil pressure, water temp etc. Easy fix if you look in the right places, difficult fix if you are looking for something that didn’t exist as I was.

End of the issue, new switch and no alarm, my apologies to dissing my M/C controller. Thanks again for everyone’s help and comments. And thanks to Ed at Control Masters Systems.

Nice roundup of the issue, Easternshore. The oil pressure gauge SENDER and oil pressure alarm SWITCH are usually two independent units which is why the gauge showed good pressure and the shorted switch closed the circuit to wail away at you.

Nice find. My MMC-equipped engines each have oil pressure senders and three oil pressure switches. Guessing one is for too little pressure, one is for too much pressure, and the third is for too little pressure for the MMC. Have not traced the wires.

look also at the belts between motors and worm gear

I have very old units, first batch i think. One unit stopped working and went to alarm. Dismantled one actuator and the problem was..mechanic, one toothed belt slipped out of position. There are 2 toothed belts connecting the electric motors to the worm gears, and two plastic washers in between, maybe they age and become harder, they need to be changed but I cannot find spares

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 16.17.49.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 16.17.49.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
Call Ed Raffanello, he is a true M/C guru, he installed them for mainship for many years.

Control Masters Marine Systems
1704 Lakeside Avenue, Suite 3
Saint Augustine, Florida 32084
Phone: 904-260-9756
Toll-Free: 855-MATHERS (855-628-4377)
Email: sales@controlmastersinc.com

I have no direct affiliation other than he helped me over the years with my M/C issues.

Back
Top Bottom