Garmin GC100 camera for engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltexvb

Hi,
Does anybody have one installed? If so how do they perform in the dark and how is the connectivity to the MFD?

Thanks.

I tried one and returned it. The image was fine, but connectivity was intermittent.

I went with an inexpensive hardwired camera, which works well for me.

I have one on the rear deck. Verry unreliable for connectivity . Picture stalls, speeds up, huge delay. By the time someone is on my rear Qatar they are next to me. If you can get a wire down there go that route. If not its better than no camera. Garmin replaced the camera on warrantee the second was worse than the first.

I tried one and returned it. The image was fine, but connectivity was intermittent.

I went with an inexpensive hardwired camera, which works well for me.

Is the camera wired to the Garmin MFD? If so, what brand and model are you using?

Rob

Is the camera wired to the Garmin MFD? If so, what brand and model are you using?

Rob

I'd be interested, too. I saw where people were claiming success with inexpensive video cameras connected to Garmin MDFs, but the threads would go dead before anyone actually posted useful, successful, detailed information.

Im currently looking a wired camera that will work with a Garmin chart plotter.
anybody had any success in finding one ?

We have two Garmin GC-14 cameras connected to our Garmin GPSMap 86xx MFDs. They work great and are easily selectable from the chart plotter. The Helmsman 38E engine room is well lit and illumination is never a problem.

I have one and had it installed for a bit. Then removed it since it only worked half the time. Recently I read some more and there is supposed to be an update and a fix and some people report it works better. I have yet to reinstall and do the update. Ill have to do that and report back. But in general its not great.

The Gc100 needs a direct line of sight to the MFD. if there is any blockage, the camera is spotty at the least. I learned this the hard way. After installation, had to replace the camera with the hard wired version and run a video cable.

The Gc100 needs a direct line of sight to the MFD. if there is any blockage, the camera is spotty at the least. I learned this the hard way. After installation, had to replace the camera with the hard wired version and run a video cable.

Jelegard,

Which wired camera and model number did you use?

Thanks,

Rob

IMHO it is a waste of time, effort and money. Those cameras don't show smoke very well, they don't sense bad odors (like burning rubber or fire), they don't give a reliable picture of raising water levels and they don't have good sound, like a bearing going bad.

Lift the lid and stick your head down there.

pete

The 2005 Mainship 34 I bought has two Garmin GC 200 wired cameras. One camera is in machinery space, one is on mast facing aft. They work flawlessly, never had a problem.

I'd like to mount a camera under the anchor roller platform so I can view anchor chain angle when weighing anchor. That way I'll know whether anchor chain is hanging straight down or leading forward or aft.

Back
Top Bottom