Fuses - size up OK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ddog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finnerty
Vessel Make
26 Tollycraft
I want to replace my in-line AGC glass fuse with an ATC blade fuse in a panel. It’s for my LPG detector which calls for a 0.5 amp fuse, but I can only get a blade fuse in 1.0 A

Similarly want to change my bilge pump fuses from 2.5A glass to 3.0A ATC

It depends on the wiring. If the wiring was fused conservatively, then you have no problem. If not, then you might.

I want to replace my in-line AGC glass fuse with an ATC blade fuse in a panel. It’s for my LPG detector which calls for a 0.5 amp fuse, but I can only get a blade fuse in 1.0 A

I dont have the details committed to memory but believe ABYC has a min wire size of 16 Ga? But there are allowed exceptions for "electronics" and I believe "inside panels and enclosures" when <1A.
Maybe someone in the know of has the latest Std available can confirm specifics.
In general The circuit fuse protects the wiring and an inline close to equip is speced by the equip mfg and prote to the equip. So if wire is capable of handling the only question would be does the mfg see any issue with the "slightly" higher rated fuse... my guess they speced it for a reason... but have to agree the change seems small?

Ignoring ABYC, I find it hard to believe that an additional allowed 0.5A @12V (=>6W) of actual POWER (if in error) is enough to do anything at all in the grand scheme of things.

--
This is NOT a recommendation, ABYC-compliant, or any other suggested methodology - just an observation/opinion.

Changing the fused as you indicated is not going to cause an issue.

I've never heard of wire that could not handle the fuse sizes you indicated

Thanks so much

Yup, the LPG detector manufacturer is specifying the fuse size for his equipment, not the wiring. Maybe a whole amp would destroy some delicate circuit in the thing. Ask him.

Changing the fused as you indicated is not going to cause an issue.

I've never heard of wire that could not handle the fuse sizes you indicated

I agree. You are talking about small currents and a small change is not going to matter. There is no way the wiring is only capable of 0.5A. Obviously going from something like a 10A to 20A would not be recommended. It's good you asked anyway, but you should be fine with the changes you proposed.

Back
Top Bottom