Old 01-26-2022, 08:49 PM   #1

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Furuno and Navionics

Looks like Navionics wonít be part of the Furuno map package after March 25th. A Furuno tech I spoke with told me that if you already have it loaded on your. Chart plotter, that it will remain but will not be updated after that. So, if you use Navionics on Furuno, you might want to update before that date to get the latest changes.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:26 PM   #2

City: Farmville
Vessel Name: Gon Bei
Vessel Model: GB 49 Classic #110
New to Furuno

I'm new to Furuno and just beginning to learn its idiosyncrasies. If I have a Furuno Navionics plotter, will I have to replace it in order to update charts in the future?
clburti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #3
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Wow

Garmin not playing nice?

The Simrad auto route capability is built on Navionics. You have to have Navionics to do it. Wondering if they are getting screwed too?
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
FWT
Guru

https://boatingindustry.com/news/202...chartplotters/

Must be related. Perhaps some new format won't display on Furuno. Or something.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:51 PM   #5

I think they are combining active captain and Navionics. You should still be able to autoroute in the Navionics app, then export the gpx file. Then import to CMaps or other navigation software.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #6

City: NEW PORT RICHEY
Vessel Name: M/V Intrigue
Vessel Model: 1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Yeah Garmin just announced The new software Navionics Vision+. It comes with a 1 year subscription with daily updates. After 1 year I think its $14 a month for the updates. You can just do the subscription for the Navionics portion? Maybe you can buy the Navionics subscription for updates?

Its not backwards compatible with many older Garmins either. Since I just bought a new Garmin I went ahead and purchased this last week. Says 2 weeks to ship. Looks like they are trying to clean up all the loose ends they acquired and finally make everything centered around Garmin. It was an odd arrangement before.

**edit***I just read a bunch of stuff and I still don't quite get what's going on.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/marin...phy/navionics/
Barking Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:19 AM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Just another example of Garmin ruining a product they bought. Don't worry, they will ruin it for their own customers as well. Navico owns C-Map, Raymarine has kinda-sorta started their own thing. Wonder what Furuno's long term plan is?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Very interesting thread! Hope someone can chime in with more info on this topic since I’m in the market for elections for a new build.
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:00 AM   #9
Guru

City: West coast
Why I wonít support Garmin.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Why I wonít support Garmin.
So which electronics suite do you support? Thanks
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Just another example of Garmin ruining a product they bought. Don't worry, they will ruin it for their own customers as well. Navico owns C-Map, Raymarine has kinda-sorta started their own thing. Wonder what Furuno's long term plan is?
I read somewhere yesterday that Furuno will be coming out with something within the next year. Meanwhile, their suite of charts they currently provide is pretty exhaustive. I am not too concerned about it, though I liked Navionics and will probably use it as a backup chart on my tablet, if I donít go with Aquamaps.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #12
FWT
Guru

The hard part is that buyers right now have to read tea leaves as to what the gear WILL be, and bet tens of thousands on the bet.

The sellers are not helping at all by failing to lay out a planned path.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by clburti View Post
I'm new to Furuno and just beginning to learn its idiosyncrasies. If I have a Furuno Navionics plotter, will I have to replace it in order to update charts in the future?
Might depend on which Furuno product you have, and where you are. The one we had on the last boat could use U.S. NOAA charts for free, and optional Navionics and C-Map charts at extra cost. It was just an easy switch to load one or another.

-Chris
Old 01-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Might depend on which Furuno product you have, and where you are. The one we had on the last boat could use U.S. NOAA charts for free, and optional Navionics and C-Map charts at extra cost. It was just an easy switch to load one or another.

-Chris
Yes, there are still free charts on Furuno, as well as C Map. I would wager that they will have a new interactive product to compete with Garmin shortly. Garmin allowing other vendors to use Navionics would probably have slowed their development, which appears to be to combine Active Captain and Navionics into the operating system. With the Cortex now, and their radar, the idea is probably to have all of it interact seamlessly to one day autopilot the boat from destination to destination with almost no interaction from the captain. Add to that digital switching to automatically change conditions on the boat, and you have a boat as user easy as it can be. It also means eventually that boat electronics won’t be as easy to work on, and the failure of one part may impact all others.

The advent of the NMEA OneNet standard is an enabler for a much more complex operating system than we have today, with many more capabilities. Of course, with Garmin (or any vendor) having that much more control over your systems, they can sunset at will (even more aggressively than they do now), keep small developers at bay, and stifle competition. We should all hope that the other vendors truly understand the threat and move aggressively to counter it. I am not too concerned about Furuno with their commercial market, but would be concerned about Raymarine with their constant orphan status with FLiR. No opinion on Simrad because I havent studied them.

The point is that if you are buying in the next year or so, like some of us are, it makes for a more complicated decision. I am happy with my decision to buy Furuno, and hope to get many years of service from them, since their track record is to continue service on older equipment. They aren’t immune to change, but their past philosophy is more in line with mine and they have the resources to do battle if need be.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #15
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Garmin claims to still offer Navionics Chart Cards (SD cards) for a bunch of non-garmin products including all the Navico brands (Simrad, B&G, Lowrance) and Raymarine.

So I suspect part of the issue with Furuno is that they don't use the Chart Cards, but instead take the chart data and convert it into their own proprietary format. They do this for all types of charts including NOAA, C-Map, international standard S-57 charts, etc. MapMedia is the entity that does the conversion and distribution and is all part of the Fununo, MaxSea, Nobletec, TimeZero, Mapmedia schmear of companies. That's the only reason I can think of why Furuno would have been singled out, other than a good old fashion screw job to your competitor.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #16
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Or perhaps the shoe has simply yet to drop on those other distributions.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I wish AquaMaps could run or be mirrored on Furuno MFDs . . . or can it?
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #18
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy n Larry View Post
So which electronics suite do you support? Thanks
I went Furuno. One of my experienced friends prefers Garmin though.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #19
FWT
Guru

With an expensive electronics decision ahead of me with a new build of a H38, this news has been eating at me.

The #1 function of a MFD / chartplotter is to display charts. Navionics, now owned by Garmin, is either pushing out Furuno or Furuno chooses to not go along. To buyers / users it doesn't matter which if it won't be there.

That leaves Furuno with C-Map. C-Map is now owned by Navico (Simrad, etc) which is turn in the process of being bought by Brunswick. One choice for Furuno. Vulnerable.

Simrad's version of C-Map is building out a capability of collecting bathometry data collected and uploaded by users. The data collection on a route pass is somewhat narrow, and when I look at popular routes on the Chesapeake the bathometry area collected so far is pretty limited. This data isn't available on the C-Map version available to Furuno users. So Navico / Simrad are already creating something of a walled garden of their own inside of C-Map.

Furuno users have what appears to be a functionally superior bathometry option with a MUCH wider field of data collection per pass. However, this requires a subscription to TimeZero and some additional hardware. The cost of that, if I understand the specs, is amazingly high and equals or exceeds the cost of the MFD itself. Nifty capability, but not cost-effective for many.

I have come to like the Furuno option for a host of reasons, but what is really bugging me is their vulnerability to having access to a good chart package.

Bottom line is that confidence in chart data availability in the future narrows the field to Garmin and Simrad, much as I had come over more to the Furuno side.

What am I missing? I am not confident I am seeing this correctly. If I can see that, Furuno can too. Solutions ahead?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #20
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
With an expensive electronics decision ahead of me with a new build of a H38, this news has been eating at me.

The #1 function of a MFD / chartplotter is to display charts. Navionics, now owned by Garmin, is either pushing out Furuno or Furuno chooses to not go along. To buyers / users it doesn't matter which if it won't be there.

That leaves Furuno with C-Map. C-Map is now owned by Navico (Simrad, etc) which is turn in the process of being bought by Brunswick. One choice for Furuno. Vulnerable.

Simrad's version of C-Map is building out a capability of collecting bathometry data collected and uploaded by users. The data collection on a route pass is somewhat narrow, and when I look at popular routes on the Chesapeake the bathometry area collected so far is pretty limited. This data isn't available on the C-Map version available to Furuno users. So Navico / Simrad are already creating something of a walled garden of their own inside of C-Map.

Furuno users have what appears to be a functionally superior bathometry option with a MUCH wider field of data collection per pass. However, this requires a subscription to TimeZero and some additional hardware. The cost of that, if I understand the specs, is amazingly high and equals or exceeds the cost of the MFD itself. Nifty capability, but not cost-effective for many.

I have come to like the Furuno option for a host of reasons, but what is really bugging me is their vulnerability to having access to a good chart package.

Bottom line is that confidence in chart data availability in the future narrows the field to Garmin and Simrad, much as I had come over more to the Furuno side.

What am I missing? I am not confident I am seeing this correctly. If I can see that, Furuno can too. Solutions ahead?
Agreed. See post 17.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote