Furuno or Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris, what do you use in place of Time Zero for navigation?

The Furuno TZT16 MFD at the helm is now our primary. Trying to get used to vector charts, gradually weening myself away from raster charts due to the NOAA changes... but we can still split screen and run NOAA vector on one side and NOAA raster on the other if necessary for whatever reason. Free annual updates, assuming they continue that practice.

At the helm, the now-secondary system is a 12" Garmin 7612xsv MFD that came on the boat... one generation older now... but left in place because the attached radar is decent and the attached DST at least works. I could split that screen and display radar on one side, chart on the other... but that's starting to get a bit small. $100/year annual updates.

Backed up by Aqua Map on a tablet when we're expecting to be running in known skinny water (e.g., some places along the AICW). Chart updates often, modest annual software fee.

Very occasionally backed up by iSailor on an older tablet (Wartsila isn't introducing a version for the latest Android OS). Mostly used for guests, so they can wander around the bridge and still see a nav display.

Mostly I use TimeZero in the cabin for planning... and for track capture... and then the display is available for anyone down below in case they want to watch our progress. Chart updates are the same files as for the TZT16.

I don't have depth, radar, AIS, etc. connected to the ship's laptop for TZ. Never bothered, given it's so far down our pecking order. I think, but don't know, the new TZT16 does something wirelessly. If so, I might look into whether the newer version of TZ might be able to receive depth and AIS etc. wirelessly. Not because I need it; more so just because it's (might be) there.

-Chris

The Furuno TZT16 MFD at the helm is now our primary. Trying to get used to vector charts, gradually weening myself away from raster charts due to the NOAA changes... but we can still split screen and run NOAA vector on one side and NOAA raster on the other if necessary for whatever reason. Free annual updates, assuming they continue that practice.

At the helm, the now-secondary system is a 12" Garmin 7612xsv MFD that came on the boat... one generation older now... but left in place because the attached radar is decent and the attached DST at least works. I could split that screen and display radar on one side, chart on the other... but that's starting to get a bit small. $100/year annual updates.

Backed up by Aqua Map on a tablet when we're expecting to be running in known skinny water (e.g., some places along the AICW). Chart updates often, modest annual software fee.

Very occasionally backed up by iSailor on an older tablet (Wartsila isn't introducing a version for the latest Android OS). Mostly used for guests, so they can wander around the bridge and still see a nav display.

Mostly I use TimeZero in the cabin for planning... and for track capture... and then the display is available for anyone down below in case they want to watch our progress. Chart updates are the same files as for the TZT16.

I don't have depth, radar, AIS, etc. connected to the ship's laptop for TZ. Never bothered, given it's so far down our pecking order. I think, but don't know, the new TZT16 does something wirelessly. If so, I might look into whether the newer version of TZ might be able to receive depth and AIS etc. wirelessly. Not because I need it; more so just because it's (might be) there.

-Chris

Ok. I thought you meant that TimeZero could be loaded onto the TZT16 without going through Furuno’s charts (which are basically the same but use a different nomenclature). I have TimeZero on my SailProof tablet, along with AquaMaps and Navionics. I usually planned in Navionics, and then uploaded the routes to my old Raymarine.

The TZT16 does have a wireless connection (it’s own LAN), but can also tie into an external boat wide LAN. I have a PepWave router I plan to install. I will also end up with Starlink, but going to wait until the boat arrives to get one. I will have it feed the Pepwave, and will have a cellular for back up, I think.

I am glad I purchased the Furuno suite early! Ready to go as soon as the boat arrives.

From what I've seen, if someone is telling you that one vendor will be $2500 or $5000 more than the other and you're not buying $30k+ worth of electronics, I'd be suspicious of whether it's equivalent equipment unless you've confirmed that already.

From what I've seen, at least Simrad vs Furuno often comes out close when I've looked at stuff I'd want. One component will be more expensive from one vendor, but another will be more expensive from the other. For 2 MFDs, radar, autopilot, etc. it's usually close.

I wrote a long response to this, this morning. It didn't post. Some minor PC problems on my end and it appears the dog ate my homework.

Briefly: full package, down below plus flybridge, is going to run $30k to $40k, and most likely on the high side of the range. $2500 isn't a big percentage of the total, and for me it won't push me into something. It might for someone else. The range includes installation, and every single dealer will be figuring the install on different time estimates and hourly rates. There will be differences from dealer to dealer.

Ok. I thought you meant that TimeZero could be loaded onto the TZT16 without going through Furuno’s charts (which are basically the same but use a different nomenclature). I have TimeZero on my SailProof tablet, along with AquaMaps and Navionics. I usually planned in Navionics, and then uploaded the routes to my old Raymarine.

Our charts for the MFD and Windows TZ are the exact same MapMedia files. (Loading TZ onto a TZT16 would be like loading an operating system onto an operating system? Similar to loading Windows 11 onto an already-Windows 11 computer?)

Your TZ on a tablet must be on an iThing, since I guess TZ isn't doing an Android version. Maybe that's behind any "different nomenclature" you're seeing?

I meant to include a cost note about iSailor, like I did on the other products. IIRC, our version of iSailor came when Transas -- at the time -- was only charging an initial chart cost and then subsequent charts updates would be free for life. Something like that. Then Wartsila acquired Transas and changed that tune. People complained. My chart updates are still free. But Wartsila isn't making an updated iSailor version for the next (current) generation of Android OS... so I'm guessing that's their way around that.

As it happens, the app version we have is likely flawed a bit anyway. As zoom levels decrease (zoom out) all the various stuff on the chart doesn't incrementally disappear. So a zoomed out level of display shows the whole bazillion soundings, ATONs, to the point where the picture isn't really usable. (That interpretation from some iThing guys on cruisersforum.com.

And many folks with iThings these days seem to think it's all good.

-Chris

Our charts for the MFD and Windows TZ are the exact same MapMedia files. (Loading TZ onto a TZT16 would be like loading an operating system onto an operating system? Similar to loading Windows 11 onto an already-Windows 11 computer?)

Your TZ on a tablet must be on an iThing, since I guess TZ isn't doing an Android version. Maybe that's behind any "different nomenclature" you're seeing?

I meant to include a cost note about iSailor, like I did on the other products. IIRC, our version of iSailor came when Transas -- at the time -- was only charging an initial chart cost and then subsequent charts updates would be free for life. Something like that. Then Wartsila acquired Transas and changed that tune. People complained. My chart updates are still free. But Wartsila isn't making an updated iSailor version for the next (current) generation of Android OS... so I'm guessing that's their way around that.

As it happens, the app version we have is likely flawed a bit anyway. As zoom levels decrease (zoom out) all the various stuff on the chart doesn't incrementally disappear. So a zoomed out level of display shows the whole bazillion soundings, ATONs, to the point where the picture isn't really usable. (That interpretation from some iThing guys on cruisersforum.com.

And many folks with iThings these days seem to think it's all good.

-Chris

Chris,

Time Zero names it’s files differently than the very same file (I think, they have the same data) when you download from Furuno. Emily had to make sure the old Navionics set of files for the TZT16 for North America were the same as the files I looked at on the IPad. And yes, TZ is on an IPad. I will use the Sailproof up top with Navionics, until I get the Bimini and the helm cover installed. Then I will install a CP up top and the Sailproof will be a back up.

My concern was that I live on the Tennessee River. The free charts offered by Furuno are not detailed enough to use them for heading into sloughs, and tight spots on, say, the Hiwasee, so I ended up purchasing the last Navionics update prior to March 23rd when Garmin pulled the plug after their five year agreement with Furuno expired. CMap was also less detailed than I needed.

Our new to us boat had old RM. got rid of it and replaced everything but the functional RM AP arm. Also put in a new generic AIS transceiver. Have 12” screens above and below. Have C=maps in the machines along with navionics micro SDs and effortlessly switch back and forth. Mirror both on the iPads and phones. Prefer ability to magnify text size for things like depth on the c-maps but like currents on the navionics. Also run waterways which integrates better on the navionics. When out of the country use something other than either c-maps or navionics as find sometimes they are inaccurate.
Over all don’t like navionics and particularly object to garmin marketing approach that tends to force you to only stay in Garmins world. Feel they decrease flexibility both in availability of inputs and their one size fits all approach. Went with a closed array for radar which has been a major step up from my prior RM unit but that’s probably true for all current vendors. Have interacted with Simrad several times for a variety of stupid questions and to understand details of how to personify the system. They have responses within 24h every time and have been spot on. Have no bitch.
Should mention I don’t steer the boat by autorouting and never have for the last 6 boats.

Last edited:
Chris,
Time Zero names it’s files differently than the very same file (I think, they have the same data) when you download from Furuno. Emily had to make sure the old Navionics set of files for the TZT16 for North America were the same as the files I looked at on the IPad. And yes, TZ is on an IPad. I will use the Sailproof up top with Navionics, until I get the Bimini and the helm cover installed. Then I will install a CP up top and the Sailproof will be a back up.

The NOAA chart files on our systems are the same; for example these are the US East coast vector and raster chart files:

SDUS00VS57MAP18.dbv
SDUS01RMAP16.dbr
SDUS02RMAP16.dbr
SDUS03RMAP16.dbr

Exact same files on our previous NN3D, on the current TZT16, and on our (very old) Windows version of TimeZero. We can install to TimeZero straight from the zipped version that downloads. Had to use the unzipped version on the NN3D MFD, and I presume that could be the case with the new TZT16 too.

I'm not familiar with the iThing file structure, though, and I could imagine they may mandate some kind of different naming convention...

-Chris

The NOAA chart files on our systems are the same; for example these are the US East coast vector and raster chart files:

SDUS00VS57MAP18.dbv
SDUS01RMAP16.dbr
SDUS02RMAP16.dbr
SDUS03RMAP16.dbr

Exact same files on our previous NN3D, on the current TZT16, and on our (very old) Windows version of TimeZero. We can install to TimeZero straight from the zipped version that downloads. Had to use the unzipped version on the NN3D MFD, and I presume that could be the case with the new TZT16 too.

I'm not familiar with the iThing file structure, though, and I could imagine they may mandate some kind of different naming convention...

-Chris

Thanks, I agree the actual files are the same. I should have stated that more clearly.

When I purchased what I wanted to purchase, I first looked at them for my location by having TZ send me samples of screen shots for CMaps, Navionics, and the vector and Raster charts. TZ told me which files the screen shots were in. I looked them up on Time Zero’s website and chose the group of files (folder) I wanted. (Again, Navionics was the only file that provided the detail needed on the rivers.) I called Emily at BOEMarine with that folder.

When she went to the Furuno files that folder wasn’t there. She called a tech at Furuno, and he gave her the proper Furuno folder name that matched the folder from TZ that I wanted. I don’t know if either folder would work, though I suspect not because you do need the folder unlock key provided by Furuno to be able to use the files for the products they sell. Perhaps one could copy an updated file from TZ to the chart card for Furuno, though for the pay products you will pay either TZ or Furuno, so I don’t see an advantage there.

Without looking it up, I think the folder was North American Wide Navionics. The folder name with TZ was different than Furuno’s name for the same folder.

Clear as mud, right?

Glad I have my Furuno system installed. Supply chain issues are very frustrating.

I have an older Furuno sounder. I just noticed that Navionics now scans for nearby GPS devices, like my iPhone. Suddenly, Navionics on my iPad has the red arrow that allows me to steer with my Wagner autopilot knob. My iPad enclosure is portable up to the bridge. My laptop and 27" Samsung monitor can display Navionics to good detail, so I don't see any reason to upgrade to anything, except Furuno radar visible on my iPad.

Boat-Poort-rotated.jpg

Fintry is docked in Fairhaven - New Bedford now. Around the harbor are hundreds of commercial fishing boats. The vast majority of them have Furuno radars and, therefore, probably, Furuno systems. I don't think I've ever seen a Garmin radar on a commercial fishing boat. And, of course, both Fintry and Morning Light are Furuno.

Thanks, I agree the actual files are the same. I should have stated that more clearly.

Without looking it up, I think the folder was North American Wide Navionics. The folder name with TZ was different than Furuno’s name for the same folder.

Clear as mud, right?

When I'm looking for Furuno and TimeZero chart updates, I just go here and the select the "Charts for NavNet 3D..." option:

https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/gps_and_chart_plotters

Selecting U.S. East Coast chart region and raster chart types (for example) gets me here... and notice this page now says TIMEZERO:

https://mytimezero.com/charts-catalog?zonename=MWRUSAMAP

So I dunno from folder names that might be behind all that. And I dunno about C-Map and (previous) Navionics options, since I've not ever needed anything other than NOAA charts on my Furuno/TZ systems. (There is still a C-Map option for various charts through that first link, though I haven't loked much at that. Looks like updates are half price of original...)

Nor do I know anything about Apple file storage.

The Windows storage system is pretty typical, and after installation into TZ, the files go into ProgramData/MaxSeaInt/DATA with sub-folder names like Ortho, Raster, S57, Terrain, etc.

Dunno how files are stored within the Furuno equipment. Never tried to look within the previous NavNAT 3D MFD, and haven't had the TZT16 long enough to mess with it. Not sure there are user options for poking around in their file structure anyway...

-Chris

Last edited:
Furuno +++ Garmin not so much

I've had Furuno, Garmin and Raymarine on numerous boats as well as extensive experience on other larger passage makers.

Furuno radar is unparalleled. Furuno support is Excellent, even on older products. Parts for Furuno are available.

Garmin, products are good, but their radars - especially open arrays are well known to have water intrusion issues. Garmin will NOT fix any radar that has been wet inside. Garmin support is poor at best. I've called three times to ask the same questions and received three different answers, none of which were even correct. Garmin may support their newer products, but they are constantly changing their products to add "buzz-word" technology that quickly obsoletes perfectly good older equipment.

Raymarine was in my opinion the worst of them all. Their older C and E series stuff was plagued with software issues many which only occur on longer passages. On a typical 14 day passage, at least one Raymaine unit of that vintage would fail in some way or require re-booting the entire system. Their support people where in the UK and hard to reach. HOWEVER, the new Axiom products are superb. Support is excellent now. Raymarine has come from behind and in my opinion has surpassed Garmin in most every way.

On my 58LRC, I do have some 6xxx series Garmin MFD's, sonar and radar. Rather than adding another Garmin radar which would integrate with me existing Garmin equipment, I have chosen to go with Furuno's 25Kw open array and separate Furuno MFD. I'll have 1st class radar, great support and complete reduncancy. As the Garmin stuff breaks/wears out, I will most likely convert over the rest of the equipment to Furuno. Furuno just never stops working.

Not a garmin fan for the reasons mentioned above. Boats are different than airplanes. Hear their airplane stuff is better but don’t fly so don’t know. Have had the other brands as well except for simrad. Friends have had good luck with them so when we got our new to us boat took out the e series RM stuff and put it all Simrad. Only thing we left was a RM AP drive but with a new simrad computer. So far so good with the simrad. Had a glitch with their compass for the AP. They replaced it twice at no cost. Both times in my hand in a couple of days. The one in there now is flawless. If it fails probably go with satellite.
If I ever go back to blue water would go with Furuno but for coastal can’t justify the expense. If doing blue water would want two screens at each helm on two totally separate backbones. Would also duplicate sensors including radar/AIS etc. Think the current technology is actually more vulnerable than the way things were in the past due to NMEA 2000. Even in the past some long distance cruisers would do stand alone APs. Thinking was better reliability. Always liked NKE for APs. but don’t know of an equivalent for power.

Last edited:
If I ever go back to blue water would go with Furuno but for coastal can’t justify the expense.

The Furuno stuff is pricey, but no more than anyone else's high end stuff at this point. A package of autopilot, a couple MFDs, radar, etc. is surprisingly close in price for the Furuno TZT3 and NXT radar vs the Simrad NSS and Halo radars. The Furuno stuff actually looks a hair cheaper these days. Simrad did just come out with a slightly cheaper line of MFDs that can still do all of the networking, etc. which are a bit cheaper than the Furuno stuff (but at least for the 24" domes, Furuno's radar is cheaper).

Shucks when I priced it was was $2-3k different.

It seems to depend on exactly what you want to buy, as various brands price each component differently. But it also assumes you're looking at the top of the line from the other brands, as that's basically all Furuno offers. The other brands offer steps below that at a lower price.

Inherited Raymarine and Simrad on our previous two boats. When I was the one who gets to choose, it was always going to be Furuno. Take a look around at the long range cruisers, working boats, and people who spend a lot of time on the water in general. The vast majority use Furono for a reason.

The Furuno stuff is pricey, but no more than anyone else's high end stuff at this point. A package of autopilot, a couple MFDs, radar, etc. is surprisingly close in price for the Furuno TZT3 and NXT radar vs the Simrad NSS and Halo radars. The Furuno stuff actually looks a hair cheaper these days. Simrad did just come out with a slightly cheaper line of MFDs that can still do all of the networking, etc. which are a bit cheaper than the Furuno stuff (but at least for the 24" domes, Furuno's radar is cheaper).

Last year I replaced my older Raymarine Nav system with Furuno. In checking with this and other forums I found that just about everyone who upgraded to a new system, Simrad (my brother), Garmin (my friend), Raymarine, or Furuno, everyone loved their new system and thought it was great. So the tough part of making the decision is to find the differences in each that matter to you. For me, it was the Radar first and autopilot second with ease of operation a close third. Yes price was in the mix but I found that my Furuno system components were sometimes cheaper, like my TZ3 16" mfd. I was leaning Furuno based on my last boat that had a 30 year old radar still working, the fact that our Navy uses Furuno (my son is navy) and my friend who works for Nordhaven. I was definitely influenced by Furuno's videos comparing Themselves to their competitors. Yes I know comparisons would be skewed Furuno way at any chance but they made me comfortable with the operation system. The radar comparison was very telling for me and I also totally bought into the SCX20 satellite compass. My boat now always knows where it is and how it is facing even when stationary. I has better feedback to the AP which is also a self learning system so its rudder changes are more accurate for each situation.

Last year I replaced my older Raymarine Nav system with Furuno. In checking with this and other forums I found that just about everyone who upgraded to a new system, Simrad (my brother), Garmin (my friend), Raymarine, or Furuno, everyone loved their new system and thought it was great. So the tough part of making the decision is to find the differences in each that matter to you. For me, it was the Radar first and autopilot second with ease of operation a close third. Yes price was in the mix but I found that my Furuno system components were sometimes cheaper, like my TZ3 16" mfd. I was leaning Furuno based on my last boat that had a 30 year old radar still working, the fact that our Navy uses Furuno (my son is navy) and my friend who works for Nordhaven. I was definitely influenced by Furuno's videos comparing Themselves to their competitors. Yes I know comparisons would be skewed Furuno way at any chance but they made me comfortable with the operation system. The radar comparison was very telling for me and I also totally bought into the SCX20 satellite compass. My boat now always knows where it is and how it is facing even when stationary. I has better feedback to the AP which is also a self learning system so its rudder changes are more accurate for each situation.

My 2002+ Raymarine system is for sale on this forum.

Excuse the intrusion into this conversation, but I am a new boat owner and am now the skipper of a 48 ft William Garden sedan cruiser my wife and I bought to explore the PNW with. I want to put a radar set on it, but am not sure what a reasonable price point is or what kind of performance I will need in order not to be just a navigational hazard. ( They taught me how to maintain and repair diesels in the navy, but neglected to teach me how to operate a radar set. ) Any input or observations would be greatly appreciated. It is clear that most of the people on this thread know a lot more about this topic than I do, and I am not afraid to admit it.

Excuse the intrusion into this conversation, but I am a new boat owner and am now the skipper of a 48 ft William Garden sedan cruiser my wife and I bought to explore the PNW with. I want to put a radar set on it, but am not sure what a reasonable price point is or what kind of performance I will need in order not to be just a navigational hazard. ( They taught me how to maintain and repair diesels in the navy, but neglected to teach me how to operate a radar set. ) Any input or observations would be greatly appreciated. It is clear that most of the people on this thread know a lot more about this topic than I do, and I am not afraid to admit it.
My 2002+ Raymarine 72 mile radar is still for sale if you are thinking used. If new. I recommend Furuno.

There are so many choices for a reasonable radar! The first thing I would look into is if the radar will play nice with your other electronics. Some, and some aren't, but I find myself a fan or radar overlay on my chart plotter. You can have a half dozen navigation screens on the bridge, but when I want to confirm a contact as moving, nav mark, land, or hazard, my eyes are going to the overlay screen. That seems a big boat to not have had a radar already. How is the rest of the nav suite?

Consider yourself lucky that the Navy trained you to handle diesel mechanics. All they did for me was teach me how to drive the ship and kill people with her weapons. The former most useful today, the latter, not so much.

There are so many choices for a reasonable radar! The first thing I would look into is if the radar will play nice with your other electronics. Some, and some aren't, but I find myself a fan or radar overlay on my chart plotter. You can have a half dozen navigation screens on the bridge, but when I want to confirm a contact as moving, nav mark, land, or hazard, my eyes are going to the overlay screen. That seems a big boat to not have had a radar already. How is the rest of the nav suite?

Consider yourself lucky that the Navy trained you to handle diesel mechanics. All they did for me was teach me how to drive the ship and kill people with her weapons. The former most useful today, the latter, not so much.

The guy I bought the boat from was a daytime fair weather sailor. There was no radar on the vessel. I do have auto pilot, ( not hooked up yet ), navionics and depth finder along with vhf marine radio. So it seems prudent to upgrade my sensor package with radar.
If I may be so bold, what Navy where you part of and what was your first ship? I sailed on HMCS Saguenay from 81 to 86 as part of her engineering department. They wouldn't let me anywhere near anything that went bang though.. :(

My friends have Furuno and like it. I have to say after going on a trip with one of them, It was better than the Garmin that I had at the time.

My current boat came with a 2 year old Simrad system. I must say way better than Garmin but not as good as Furuno.

Panbo just did a write up on radar on all three. The way I took it all were very good with same small differences.

Unless you are a very adept radar operator any modern radar is going to do more than you need or want. As mentioned above compatibility with your existing equipment would be the most important consideration.

I want to put a radar set on it, but am not sure what a reasonable price point is or what kind of performance I will need in order not to be just a navigational hazard.

The first thing I would look into is if the radar will play nice with your other electronics. Some, and some aren't, but I find myself a fan or radar overlay on my chart plotter.

These days, radar is commonly paired with a multi-function device (MFD) that also acts as plotter... and with the right transducer can also display depth info, either in DST format or as fishfinder (or for bottom discrimination).

Almost all radars offered will allow you to not run into stuff. Some of the more powerful units will let you see birds (bait) some gazillion NMs away... just as some of the newer transducers will let you count oyster shells on the bottom in 3 bazillion fathoms... but maybe you won't need all that. :)

FWIW, i don't prefer to see radar overlayed on the chart (mostly 'cause I'm not used to that), except in some special instances... where I'd display radar by itself AND overlay it on a chart too.

MFDs with large enough screens can be segmented so you get to chose space for radar, charts, overlays, etc.

-Chris

I can’t imagine needing anything more than a 24 mile radar for the pnw. I prefer stand alone furuno. Only an opinion though, everyone has one.

If I may be so bold, what Navy where you part of and what was your first ship? I sailed on HMCS Saguenay from 81 to 86 as part of her engineering department. They wouldn't let me anywhere near anything that went bang though.. :(

USN. Ships in order were DDG7, DDG32, LPD9, ATF114, DDG46, BB61.

BTW, my small-ish boat came with a complete (GPS antenna, radar, plotter, sounder, AIS, AP, compass) 2005 Furuno nav suite with single MFD, so radar overlay was sort of necessary for me. I spent a lot of time with Furuno techs on the phone getting to know my system and modifying a couple of modes of operation, and I have never seen better assistance. I have lot of Garmin time too and am NOT a fan.

USN. Ships in order were DDG7, DDG32, LPD9, ATF114, DDG46, BB61.

BTW, my small-ish boat came with a complete (GPS antenna, radar, plotter, sounder, AIS, AP, compass) 2005 Furuno nav suite with single MFD, so radar overlay was sort of necessary for me. I spent a lot of time with Furuno techs on the phone getting to know my system and modifying a couple of modes of operation, and I have never seen better assistance. I have lot of Garmin time too and am NOT a fan.

I would kill to get a look into Iowa's engine and boiler rooms. As far as the electronics suites go, clearly I have much to learn. I am extremely grateful for all the input and advice I have gotten from the "old salts" that litter the pages of this forum. I have always believed in the saying
"Learn from other peoples experiences."

Back
Top Bottom