Digital vs Analog Instrumentation at the upper helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
I'm looking for a little wisdom - and experience - changing over my 43 year old analog gauges at my upper helm for digital and a PC display. I've got 2 old Perkins with no modern data harness to support such a plan.

I'm thinking I would move the analog gauges to the engine compartment, possibly with a camera to provide paranoia backup to the helms.

I'm looking at NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 via cable or wireless.

I'm also thinking I will leave the audible/light alarms at the helms for engine oil pressure and possible other critical data.

I'm also investigating a simple approach with an sender A-D interfaced with a wifi or bluetooth transmitter and a pc tablet at the helms receiving the wireless signal and displaying the sender data.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I kept my analog gauges, and added a Noland RS11 on each of my Perkins engines. Now I have engine data on the NMEA 2000 bus, as well as a traditional set of gauges.

My existing chartplotter can show the engine data, as can a Lowrance LMF-400 multi-display gauge I added to the middle of the instrument cluster. The Lowrance is no longer made, but I assume similar gauges exist.

With the right N2K-to-WiFi device, I could send the N2K data out over WiFi for any portable devices, too. Unfortunately I use a Vesper AIS XB-8000 for that. Vesper never completed the firmware updates they promised which would have added engine data to the list of N2K types they transmit over WiFi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom