battery location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obenton

Veteran Member
I have a contract on a Jefferson 50ft MY. The boat has four 4D AGM batteries under the seat of the dinette for the inverter. They are bulging a little but worked well during a 4-5 survey. I suspect I will be buying new ones soon. There are no dates on the batteries. My question is whether or not that is a safe spot inside a wooden bench seat. The boat has very little space in the engine room despite its size.I'm planning to continue to buy new AGM after getting the boat home.Any thoughts on the safety of the location.OB

With AGMs, you can mount them just about anywhere. As long as there's at least some ventilation, the batteries can't move and there's something to contain any small leakage, you're good. The mounting requirements are nowhere near as strict as for flooded batteries.

I have been doing some reading lately re: AGMs and found a note that AGM will show bulges and concave areas that are "normal" due to the closed system that only vents on over pressurization.

We have an AGM under our berth in the aft cabin for our stern thruster.

Just be sure to mount any batt set with space between the batts so they can cool when hard charged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom