Battery charger load management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DW1979OA

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dream Weaver
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander/Pilot House
I have three battery chargers that will initially all draw close to 20 amps when power is interrupted and then restored. What I would like to be able to do is put a time delay on start on two of the chargers. Yes, I could manually do the time delay. I’d prefer it to be automatic.
Google comes up with some not perfect solutions. I’m guessing that there is an easy solution out there and I just have not found it yet, but someone here has. Thanks in advance for the help
jp

Why not do a little DC rewiring. Remove the smallest two chargers and replace them with combiners from the biggest charger. Probably can be done for $120 or so for two combiner or ACRs.

Yandina or Blue Seas make good ones.

David

Last edited:
How about a time delay relay? McMaster or other industrial supplier has them, set it to whatever you want.

Thanks DDW for reminding me of McMaster Carr. A search of their site found their part number 2809T454 to be what I think will work. Should be here Monday and Ill get it installed and report back.

"Why not do a little DC rewiring. Remove the smallest two chargers and replace them with combiners from the biggest charger."

If a boat is stored afloat for long periods the multiple chargers is the safest system.

When a single batt fails a single charger will only overcharge and kill the bats on that string.

If a larger multiple output charger has a bad batt in the system ALL the batts will be overcharged , which gets expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom