AC outlet termination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the change to USB-C cables moving along pretty quickly, I am not sure that putting in the Older, more ubiquitous USB outlets will be good for more than a couple of years. Has anyone here run across outlets with the USB-C connectors, or even better than that, both types?

Leviton has USB, USB-C, and one of each outlets.

Ted

A second choice is fork connectors. Not quite as good as ring connectors but ok. Don’t use the fast wire connections built into the outlet since they are designed for solid wire not stranded.

FWIW, 'fork' type connectors must be of a 'captive' design (at least according to ABYC), and those are very hard to find. The other ABYC approved option is to install ferrules on the wire ends and then use the clamps as you would if using solid copper.

I just replaced a number of 110v outlets (including GFI and some with USB charging slots) because as one of the posts mentioned above, our old GFI receptacles were old -- probably original to the boat -- and seemed to trip the breakers more often for whatever reason. After the replacements the tripping problem vanished. I did use ring connectors, as they did on the original install. As other posters mentioned, I clipped off the very small plastic tabs that obstructed the ring connectors, and you can get the screws back in, just takes some firm pressure and good alignment. I also heat-shrunk the shank of the ring connectors so the contact points were limited to the area directly under the screw, and to protect the crimp from corrosion. Overkill I know, but I'm always very cautious with 110v on the boat and around water.

This is brand dependent. On some GFI outlets you start to unscrew and you get to a point that it starts to get very hard in turning. The manufactures feel that the gap is open to slid the wire in. But if you use some force and keep unscrewing, the terminal will come off so a ring connector can be used.

I had problems with a USB outlet and GFIs. So my fix was to install a DC panel that had USB outlets. I will do the same on my new to me boat. Like this one.

Attachments

• usbpanel.jpg
    usbpanel.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom