24 volt Stern thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I’m installing a 24 volt stern thruster. Manufacturers wiring diagram shows the 400 amp fuse in the positive line and the disconnect in the negative line. My inverter has the fuse and disconnect in the positive line , which is the way the manufacturers diagram shows for it to be wired. I thought the the disconnect would have been in the positive line for the thruster as well. Which way is correct, or does it matter?

On your boat either should work. On a metal boat I would always switch the pos. side.

I put mine on the positive side. That way there isn’t any voltage looking for a ground. With the positive side connected all the time any ground will cause a short.

Last edited:
Both My B & S thrusters have batty Sw in the Pos.
If you ever have a problem or need to work on them you will need to kill power and have to pull batty cables if sw is in the Neg. If ever a short same thing can't kill power with the switch!?
I see disadvantages of putting it in Neg but no disadvantages of putting it in the Pos...
Maybe I'm missing something but most electrical switches, breakers, are in the Pos not Neg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom