12 volt vs. 24 volt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photobucket eliminated all my online library of photos with their extortion tactics. Starting again with imgur.

Here is the general engine room arrangement, saildrive with alternator to the right:

ZQyAli0.jpg

This is the original shaft (disconnected at the engine side in this picture), Bulflex on the damper pulley, Spicer spline shaft for extension and U joint on alternator:

lt3k97Z.jpg

That started to come loose in Maine on the trip south from Newfoundland, so I took it home, cut the U joint off and welded on another BulFlex. That required a peculiar adapter on the alternator shaft to make it look like a prop shaft:

t4mo558.jpg

New version installed. The extra stainless bit is intended to carry a guard to keep your arms out of it, but mainly to catch the shaft in case it breaks loose from the alternator end, and beats a hole in the bottom of the boat:

eANgiOV.jpg

The Bulflex can move a little both in angle and in length. U joints (and CV joints) have to be kept slightly misaligned to keep them from Brinelling, the Bulflex doesn't, plus it has the vibration dampening.

Thanks

John

Photobucket eliminated all my online library of photos with their extortion tactics. Starting again with imgur.

Here is the general engine room arrangement, saildrive with alternator to the right:

This is the original shaft (disconnected at the engine side in this picture), Bulflex on the damper pulley, Spicer spline shaft for extension and U joint on alternator:

That started to come loose in Maine on the trip south from Newfoundland, so I took it home, cut the U joint off and welded on another BulFlex. That required a peculiar adapter on the alternator shaft to make it look like a prop shaft:

New version installed. The extra stainless bit is intended to carry a guard to keep your arms out of it, but mainly to catch the shaft in case it breaks loose from the alternator end, and beats a hole in the bottom of the boat:

The Bulflex can move a little both in angle and in length. U joints (and CV joints) have to be kept slightly misaligned to keep them from Brinelling, the Bulflex doesn't, plus it has the vibration dampening.

Really nicely done.

Back
Top Bottom