This really can happen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
We have all experienced the boat rides from hell...

Well, the opposite can happen too and did for us earlier this week.
Georgia Strait, Rosario Strait, Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Admiralty Inlet all like a millpond and current on our stern for seven straight hours. Nothing broke.

What a stunningly peaceful and beautiful day for a boat ride in the Salish Sea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15c2po0D4wKSeWvhunieeU4L1PU6nuPbx/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Too bad about the video...large file, any tips?

I clicked share so might work now if you try again.

Last edited:
I saw the video. 17sec of almost mirror smooth water.

Ah, heaven. I remember a trip like that once, thirty or forty years ago . . .

We were crossing Lake Huron bringing our last boat home. 75 miles without a ripple on the water. My wife said it was boring. I told her when you are crossing big water boring is good. I napped for several hours up on the flybridge while she drove.

Come on, we know you photo-shopped that!

San Pablo Bay can be smooth as glass, but (don't) wait until current opposes the wind.

Attachments

• smooth waters.jpg
    smooth waters.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 31
All four of those bodies of water that I mentioned and that were on our route that day can be vicious. I have seen them be vicious. On the trip up two weeks earlier, JDF was vicious.

I am not sure I have ever seen them all this benign.
It was so surreal that it was like being suspended between the water and the horizon in a watercolor painting all day.

Just magical, and two whale sightings as well, one Humpback and one Orca. Pretty hard to miss a spout on that flat water.

Last edited:
Nice when it works well.
Got one where I waited several months for the planets to align and had a 7 day 1300nm run from Brisbane to Vanuatu and apart from 20 knots from behind for the first 24 hours, glass out for the rest of the trip.

Many years ago passing Pt St George southbound it was flat calm, gray whales everywhere. A month later northbound 12 - 14 ft breaking seas and driving rain.

I ran Anacortes to Seattle last Sunday. Timed it so perfect that I got pushed by the tide all the way. On top of that there was only one commercial and it was a tug that I passed. Glass water all he way.

Back
Top Bottom