where to start -- engine not getting fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1: crack one of the injectors and turn over the engine. you should see fuel. If not follow advise of the other good respondents.
2: if you see bubbles of air mixed with the fuel you are getting air backup from the return fuel line. Engine won't start.
3: if "2" is your problem install a $30 check valve on return fuel line.
Good luck
Former Perkins 4-236 owner :)

I know the PO has his engine running now, but here is another possible in these situations.

I was helping a friend change filters on his Perkins 236 and we were trying to bleed the air by manually working the little lever on the lift pump. We pumped for hours with no luck . . . Finally we discovered that the lift pump was defective. The engine had, in fact, been operating for some time without a functioning lift pump! The injector pump had been able to pull the fuel from a reasonably full tank through clean filters.

Nick

I know the PO has his engine running now, but here is another possible in these situations.

I was helping a friend change filters on his Perkins 236 and we were trying to bleed the air by manually working the little lever on the lift pump. We pumped for hours with no luck . . . Finally we discovered that the lift pump was defective. The engine had, in fact, been operating for some time without a functioning lift pump! The injector pump had been able to pull the fuel from a reasonably full tank through clean filters.

Nick

Charged by gravity feed no doubt, then stalls out when level is below injector pump. Interesting.

Charged by gravity feed no doubt, then stalls out when level is below injector pump. Interesting.

He had had the boat stall a couple of times when under power and then the engine would restart and keep going at low power. We had been scratching our heads over the possibilities. It was very satisfying to find a solid cause.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom