Tool Set Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As an aircraft mechanic for 30 years I have learned there is only one set of tools to get that is Snap-on
nothing makes a job go smoother than a good set of high quality tools.
the cost of the tools is high
the cost of busted knuckles can also be high.

Nice to see another aircraft mechanic out there. Totally agree on Snap On. Can't afford all of them so got the ones I use most and then some specialty tools.

Did you know Marion Gregory, past CEO of Snap On? Great guy and had a hangar in the Ozarks where he had all the tools that Snap On made. Kept a boat down there.

I still use my A&P and IA and stay current. But most of my great tools are in my hangar. I have duplicates on the boat.

And, yes, still buy some Craftsman or HF stuff, for places where the tool needs to be modified, bent, ground down and don't whan to do that with Snap Ons.

Newbie question: I see sockets listed as 6 point or 12 point. How do you pick which one to use?
thank you
Rob

Tools

As a certified tech and once the half-owner of the Ford Lehman dealership, as well as Cummins and CAT I highly recommend a very simple set of tools specifically selected for your vessel and not someone else's. For almost 95% of the service we used to do at the docks, I used a simple metal Snap-On or Chrafsmen toolbox that I could carry. It was carpeted along the bottom 3rd.

My tools then were all Snap-On as that was my daily profession. And when customers saw how organized and clean we were they always commented favorably. There is no tool like Snap-On. The way they are organized has no equal.

BUT... before y'all harp all over me, believe me, I get it. I don't even know what they cost anymore. I'm sure it's thru the roof.

That being said, NO you do not NEED Snap-On. If money is no concern check it out.

I would stay away from cheap tools like Husky and the like for marine service. You made a massive investment in your boat.

I guess my point is to see exactly what you need and nothing else. Keep it very simple to exactly what you will be doing. You DO NOT need a full set of everything. You will have to determine if your vessel uses a mix of SAE and Metric and go from there.

Determine what you are comfortable working on and have that knowledge. The more you have the harder it is to find what you need.

There will most likely be some specialty tools you may need or need to make.

Yes, we had many specialty tools we kept on our service trucks and put into use often. They were usually very specific and heavy.

Another thing you could do is have a good service tech meet you on your boat and go over all the basic service requirements. I have done this with many customers in the past.

Have your cruise kits all sorted out as well, and know what tools will be used to service those parts.

The more knowledge you have the more you will know what you need and don't need.

As I said, I used a simple metal carry toolbox to do most of the service required during the 10 years I did that kind of work.

Just don't cheap out on poor-quality tools, they will just frustrate you to no end. When I first started as a tech I had all Craftsmen tools. That is probably all you will ever need.

Once I moved to higher-quality tools I never went back. For me, I still own all those tools and they will be in our next new vessel along with some Craftsmen tools. Gear Wrench has some nice sockets and I do use them on projects that I might damage my better tools.

Again, please don't get me wrong. As I mentioned, the average user does not need Snap-On. But either way, get a good organization method. The sockets on a holder and wrenches in a pouch of some sort. It really keeps the frustration down and if you're in an emergency situation, you won't be digging through all your tools trying to locate one tool.

Get yourself some 5-gal buckets to use for dirty rags etc. And buy a ton of red rags and blue paper towels. You can sort your red rags as new and slightly used. Toss the old ones.

Happy boating:)

As far as sockets go we ALWAYS used 6 point. less chance of rounding. We did have some specialty sockets in 12 point. And some star sockets as needed. Usually for shaft couplings.

Some 1/2 might be necessary as well as a torque wrench and breaker bar. Again, just get what you need and nothing more.

“ Gear Wrench has some nice sockets and I do use them on projects that I might damage my better tools.”

Thanks. This is the direction I’m leaning as it seems to be a good balance between quality and cost.

Don't forget Mac Tools. I was told they are made by the same people that make Snap-On, but look a little different and are cheaper. Essentially the same tools. I see their trucks around here all the time.

Back
Top Bottom