Rebedding glass windows with wood trim on 1985 Chien Hwa Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnaW

Hello,

What would be the best bedding compound to use to rebed the glass window in the photo? Butyl tape, 3M 4200, both together or anything else?

There is a wood frame on the inside, then fiber glass, then another wood frame on the outside.

Any other insides? This is the first time we are attempting this.

Thanks for any input.
Anna

Attachments

• 20220821_125918.jpg
    20220821_125918.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 36
Butyl tape only works if you can put it under compression. I can not really tell if your window is just glued in to the frame or if the frame is securing the glass in place.

If just glued in then use sikaflex.

Sikaflex 295 uv This stuff is great. Just re set my piolet house windows this spring. Stays in place and is workable with tools. Designed for bedding glass. Try not to do in direct sunlight , or after installing in the sun put a cover of some kind. Only issue i had on one in the sun was internal bubbles expanding and ruining the apperance.

Butal tape old school you need compression.
4200 / 5200 no good exposed to uv will loose its seal .

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, dig around and you can find a string on us rebuilding 22 windows.

Sikaflex 295 uv This stuff is great. Just re set my piolet house windows this spring. Stays in place and is workable with tools. Designed for bedding glass. Try not to do in direct sunlight , or after installing in the sun put a cover of some kind. Only issue i had on one in the sun was internal bubbles expanding and ruining the apperance.

Butal tape old school you need compression.
4200 / 5200 no good exposed to uv will loose its seal .

Thank you for the input.
Any thoughts on a product called Dolfinite?

Thank you for the input.

I have never used it. But I have used butyl tape and Sika caulk. Both work great in the proper application. Butyl tape needs to be compressed, preferably with through bolts. It is very difficult to compress with screws. When I am screwing things together I use Sika caulk. 295 UV is designed for plastics like plexiglass. 291 is a general purpose caulk. If you are caulking wood then Sika has a crazy expensive primer that works great.

Following, great post.

3M 4000 UV could also be another product to consider. Similar to 3M 4200 but with the UV protection.

I used to use only 3 M products but I had some bad tubes so I switched to Sika and like it much better.

Dofinite is an old skool bedding compound. I've used it in traditional wood boat construction and repair. I don't think I've ever seen it used to bed windows. The newer products by Sikaflex are probably a better option. Lots of info on Sika's website. Be sure to really understand the application instructions for whatever product you choose.
Thank you for the input.

Dolphite is a bedding compound. Typically used for bedding metal fixtures. It is good stuff, but there is much better. It stays soft a long time, 20-30 years, but can get dirty.

I used a white urethane, sealant, versus adhesive. Stuff sticks like 4200. Cleans with mineral spirits. I dread a broken window.

This way the glass and wood can flex, and you get good stick to both sides. You want it to come out every side and hole as you tighten it.

If the wood frame is not completely sealed your wasting your time. Use the best stuff you can get and your work will last a long time.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, dig around and you can find a string on us rebuilding 22 windows.

Hi, I looked through your blog and found a post about the windows, but it's mainly about the window frames, not how you rebedded the actual glass and frame. Unless I overlooked that.
Do you have any input on what sealant you used?

Thanks!

I will add to the chorus that Dolphinite is probably not the right material to use on windows.

Without seeing your installation, here's my best thinking.

Sika is a good product. It's a big job so while the primer is expensive, might as well do as much as possible to make the project successful. Sika has a lot of decent information, but not always easy to find. Many of their products are for frameless installations such as skyscrapers.

The seal should be between the glass and the fiberglass. To allow for expansion, this needs to be pretty thick (Sika has recommendations for how thick this needs to be based on substrate and glass/plastic material). Likely close to 1/4" thick bead. It is a thick product and you can use a sculpting tool to form the bead. The wood frame can also be sealed to prevent water between the glass and the wood. If possible, wood frame should compress the glass and thick bead. The wood frame may need a thick bead between it and the fiberglass to fill the gap created by thick bead.

https://www.sika.com/content/dam/dms/corporate/1/glo-window-installation-solutions.pdf

Hope this makes sense.

Peter

I used a Permatex product I get from Home Depot. You can get black urethane from auto paint suppliers, but white is hard to find, but HD stocks it. Was orange and blue tube.

All Grand Banks slider windows have the front fixed.

You put a good bead down in the trough. Then bead the frame, puddy it smooth, insert the glass, then frame, and slowly screw them together scraping excess sealant as it comes out. Clean up with mineral spirits and rags, not paper towels, they will come apart.

I replaced all my fixed windows panes, 18. Made boat look like new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom