Painting bow thruster props….?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

I know no one can say what paint will specifically will be successful in my area.

But in general, paint bow thruster props with bottom paint? Or Velox/prop speed type coating? Or cold galvanizing/prop coat type spray?

Which?

—Kevin

What bottom paint are you using? Maybe call that manufacturer and see what they recommend.

I use Trinidad bottom paint on my Vetus plastic prop. Seems to be holding up good, but I also use the boat and the thruster at least once a week and much more when we are cruising.

Also matters what your thruster props are made of. Some are metal, some are plastic. mine are plastic so I see no need to paint them with something different than my bottom paint. They are much different than your main props as they are only used for a very small fraction of the time. Something like propspeed would not only be a waste of money but wouldn't work well because prop speed relies on the prop spinning to shed growth. Your thruster props should be mostly sitting still most of the season.

Thanks all. Bottom paint is currently trinidad hd. I expect that was what is on the old thruster props and they look pretty clean of any fouling.

I got a prop upgrade kit so ill just use same bottom paint on the new props. May call pettit about any prep suggestions.

--Kevin

I would indeed ask them about preparing the props. The paint will last longer if you do proper prep.

Kevin
If SidePower while you have props off drain some of the lube yo get fresh into the gear case and top off the reservoir. It's a rrcommended annual maint but took me few years to discover it. Did mine when I upgraded props.

Kevin
If SidePower while you have props off drain some of the lube yo get fresh into the gear case and top off the reservoir. It's a rrcommended annual maint but took me few years to discover it. Did mine when I upgraded props.

Thanks Baccus. Neither of my Side power manuals shows gear oil or any mention of changing it for maintenance. Is it possible that newer models did away with this? Mine are about 10 years old. There is nothing in the area of the prop that would allow this anyway. The only recommended maintenance is changing the zincs.

I use:
756489 VELOX METAL PRIMER 756494 VELOX PLUS for my thruster props. Also, replace zinc at the same time.

They are fairly easy to remove underwater and the coating easy to apply, but will take a few days, drying, etc.....

Thanks Baccus. Neither of my Side power manuals shows gear oil or any mention of changing it for maintenance. Is it possible that newer models did away with this? Mine are about 10 years old. There is nothing in the area of the prop that would allow this anyway. The only recommended maintenance is changing the zincs.

I put a Sidepower stern thruster in my last boat. It didn’t have the oil reservoir on it. It was about 5 years ago.

I put a Sidepower stern thruster in my last boat. It didn’t have the oil reservoir on it. It was about 5 years ago.
Must be they changed it. Mine have a plastic bottle reservoir above the unit and tubing to supply lube. The drain plug is on the gear case inside the tunnel.

Yes, I think they changed it. I know Vetus had/used to have the same reservoir.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom