Hull Paint: Awlgrip vs. Alexseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsysol

Vessel Name
Antipodes
Vessel Make
Yachtsmiths
Hi all, I hope everyone is managing through these times.

I have a very specific issue due to the shutdowns, my boat sits in Ensenada Mexico currently going through a refit. The next/last big job is painting the hull but the yard cannot get access to Awlgrip, my current paint, but can get Alexseal. The color seems to be a good match (Jade Mist Green).

As you can imagine, I don't have a lot of options, I can't even buy Awlgrip here in San Diego and drive it down as everything is shut down and orders are to arrest those out without cause.

So, my question for the group, is Alexseal a good alternative to Awlgrip?

RS, I painted with Alexseal about 6 years ago. People still ask me if it's new paint, it looks that good. I've done nothing to it maintenance-wise and the boat is outside, not undercover. With any paint, though, the finished product is only as good as the surface preparation.

Last edited:
I have heard more people using Alexseal these days than Awlgrip.

Must be OK....

Don Moon of Moonstruck here I think just used it a few years back and his boat looks great...but I don't see it a lot.....PM him or maybe he will see this.

Why be thinking 100yr coatings when in 2 to 7yrs your going to cave to too foot itus. Paint it. Brightside?

More like 10 years on a steel boat but this is our retirement home so it's a long term commitment. :)

Why be thinking 100yr coatings when in 2 to 7yrs your going to cave to too foot itus. Paint it. Brightside?

Eric: Wouldn’t the prep be the same? I’d go with the better paint. If I was buying, I ask for a discount if the boat was painted with Brightside.

I did very extensive research last year and resided to use Alexseal, specially because I am doing it myself. Stay away from Brightside and other one part paints. Good luck.

There are arguments for one part paints...longevity however isn't one of them.

I'm very happy with the Interlux Perfection that I used on the deck surfaces last year. Flowed out nicely...roll and tip does a nice job if you can't spray it. Hard as a rock. It's a 2 part urethane...definitely wear a mask if spraying (isocyanates). N95 mask might be more difficult to obtain than the paint.

Boat Works Today has been testing Alexseal paint and loves it. He says it is go to paint now. He used to use Awlgrip. He likes the way that Alexseal goes on.

Thanks for the quick responses. Nobody argued against Alexseal so I instructed the yard to move forward. I wish I had the ability to make other choices but we're in this bind.

From a boat owners perspective, this really sucks not having choices or access to the boat. Hoping we can somehow cross the border when this is done to recover our boat.

OK good enough.
Looks a bit like SS anchors to me though.
However I’d like to have one .. HaHa

Awlgrip is one tough paint and lasts a long time , but damn it’s hard to touch up.

Awlgrip is one tough paint and lasts a long time , but damn it’s hard to touch up.

I went through the same research process last year. I ended up choosing AlexSeal for this reason - the way the two paints cure is different, with Awlgrip having a surface that is very difficult to blend. Cost is about the same.

My sense to the OP: either paint will be fine. Only a slight preference one way or the other. You have 100x more risk on the prep and application than the paint itself.

I assume you're at Baja Naval - they have a lot of experience. AlexSeal will be fine.

Peter
(Ensenada, but different yard).

Boat Works Today has been testing Alexseal paint and loves it. He says it is go to paint now. He used to use Awlgrip. He likes the way that Alexseal goes on.

Andy has said it is hard to sand so very durable.
Unlike Awlgrip, patching old paint with new paint is easy using Alexseal.

Yes, that is one big advantage with Alexseal. It can be repaired if you scratch it.

Great choice! I also heard Boat Works say Alexseal checks more boxes to be the better paint, to include repairing. Nice repairs are a shortcoming of the Awlgrip. Alexseal was said to harden to near gellcote hardness, like Awlgrip. Long lasting.
Looks like you made the better choice.

I have rolled and tipped Awlgrip. It is so good it’s very hard to tell it wasn’t sprayed. This allowed a DIY to save big money. You don’t need a building. You can work out in the open or work under a cover if conditions aren’t just right. Need 2 men and a long day, but you can do 1 side at a time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom