How to remove sterling linear polyurethane.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crime Pays

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the best/easiest way to remove sterling linear polyurethane from gel-coat? The sterling linear polyurethane is 23 years old and is turning dark....

Oh yea, and preferably without killing myself. :dance:

Attachments

• Black finish.jpg
    Black finish.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
With a sander. Use a good respirator. If it is in decent condition a light sanding and new paint will likely be the way to go.

What part of the boat are we looking at? Looks like bottom to me.

There should not be 2 part polyurethane paint below the waterline. Can’t really tell from the photo.

With a sander...

:thumb: I’m not sure it’s actually the removal or to get the old paint into a condition that can accept a primer. We had our last boat repainted. The previous paint was a two part polyurethane. The painters used an industrial random orbital sander on the old paint then filled the nicks and scratches in the hull. Faired those areas and then sprayed on a high build epoxy primer. Then the hull was sanded again before the final paint.

Attachments

• 82AD2EB3-CBA3-4F4E-B137-13E831311C3C.jpg
    82AD2EB3-CBA3-4F4E-B137-13E831311C3C.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 14
Opps... Rotate the photo 90 degrees CW. This is port side walkway above the rub-rail.

Opps... Rotate the photo 90 degrees CW. This is port side walkway above the rub-rail.

Ok, I still don’t get it... Photos from iPhones rotate wierdly, sometimes without any reason.

I think I get it. The blue is actually a shadow? The white is the Sterling paint on the hull?

Tator

Soooo, you want to recoat with something, right? There is no need to remove paint which is clinging well to whatever is under it. Just sand it and prep with whatever primer is recommended for the new paint.

Back
Top Bottom